Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Need some basic info on the SHR 970.. I was gifted a synthetic blue model in 30-06. I’m aware that the rifle is a switch barrel. The rifle is heavy. The original owner had a brake installed, and it certainly adds to the heft.

I’m sure Sig has a decent rep, but I know nothing of this variant. If it warms up here, I’ll shoot it, but with the exception of today it’s been really cold.

So, are these rifles considered to be shooters? Does it have monetary value ? I’ll keep it, but I’m curious as to what I have.

Thanks,

Bob

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one as my son's first hunting rifle in 270. No complaints. Shoots better than average, not prone to rusting. The switch barrel thing is kind of gimmicky, unless you live in a jurisdiction where you are limited to a certain number of firearms.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the reply Dutch. If it warms in the next day or two I’ll mount a scope and shoot it.

Bob

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have one in 30-06, just killed a 6x6 Bull in Montana with it in November. Made approximately 1998-2002, sold at a loss by Sigarms in attempt to break into the American rifle market. Cost of production near Sauer 202 and Blaser, so discontinued when SIG decided to focus on those brands. Excellent rifle, Ilaflon (corrosion resistant) finish, steel detachable mag, decent factory plastic stock, three position safety, good trigger. Rare on used market as their owners hang onto them.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had one in .30-06 and another in .300 Win Mag. Can't really think of a single bad thing to say about either one of them. Hunted with them for years until I got started on the semi-custom and custom route and started spending too much time on this forum.:) They both went down the road but for no good reason.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you gentlemen. Great info.

Bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Setterman,

This is a pertinent quote:
Rare on used market as their owners hang onto them.

One will see them advertised at times, their value seems to hold/increase over time.
Said to have a very fast lock time, contributing to accuracy. Came in walnut stocked versions along with the synthetic. As mentioned, change calibers by changing barrels. If not mistaken, chamber is in barrel stub, action length allows change between .308/'06/.300 WinMag length cartridges just by changing barrel/magazine/and bolt.

I don't consider them "heavy", as I hunt at times with sporterized military rifles. Mine is a .30-'06 synthetic. Had it since around 2000. Wish I had bought a dozen at $400 each. In various calibers to sell today.

Mine will shoot. 150 gr Privi Partizen soft points at 100 from a sandbag rest:

[Linked Image]

I purchased a 6.5X55 barrel for it a few years after I bought the gun. It shoots even better than the '06 barrel, especially with some RWS ammo I got on closeout from Mdway (wish I'd have purchased a dozen of those too, instead of just 3 boxes) The xtra bbl cost as much as the whole gun when I ordered it from Switzerland.

Enjoy it, and feel free to PM me if you ever decide to let go of it. I was just thinking I could use another in case something breaks on the one I have. Last time I tried to order another bbl I believe Sig Arms USA told me they're no longer supporting that model and that was quite a number of years ago.

It has not been blooded yet, I don't live where deer are a dime a dozen and multiple tags are available. I didn't see a whitetail buck on this hunt, plenty of elk, turkey, mulies and does, but the rifle and I had a great time in great scenery:

[Linked Image]

Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 02/05/19.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Geno:

Thanks. Sounds like a trip to the range is in order.

B

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bring a few different types of ammo if available. Mine had a few versions that weren't as well liked as those Privi's.

My next step is to try loading some Barnes or similar as it's all we're allowed to hunt with here. I've got the components, it's just a matter of prioritizing that over other stuff that needs done here.

Good luck with yours,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks. I am a Barnes fan.

Bob

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 37 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,401
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.