Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I agree. I think if i were buying a new barrel, I'd go wylde, just because it probably has more potential to shoot better. My comparison between my buddies rifle and mine probably wasn't a fair comparison.

The Wylde is my preference as well. Most of my AR barrels are chambered for it.

Most all of what you might want to know about 223 Match, Wylde, 5.56 & other chambers............................

MM

[Linked Image]

GB1

R
Roystu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Let's add one more variable, BSA. The shooter. Maybe the difference is you! smile

Let's not forget sights either.

I can truly appreciate that variable. I don't think that is problem though. I am capable of getting sub MOA groups with all of my bolt guns. While the optic on it is not a high end glass it is solid and has been on another rifle that shot lights out. I will get this rig shooting right. I just don't have much experience with this platform yet and it just drives me nuts to have a rifle that refuses to put holes where I want them to.

Last edited by Roystu; 02/07/19.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Roystu
Let's add one more variable, BSA. The shooter. Maybe the difference is you! smile

I can truly appreciate that variable. I don't think that is problem though. I am capable of getting sub MOA groups with all of my bolt guns. While the optic on it is not a high end glass it is solid and has been on another rifle that shot lights out. I will get this rig shooting right. I just don't have much experience with this platform yet and it just drives me nuts to have a rifle that refuses to put holes where I want them to.

You may have just answered some of your own question. If you dont have a lot of experience with this platform, that has an affect on the accuracy of the rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Roystu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

You may have just answered some of your own question. If you dont have a lot of experience with this platform, that has an affect on the accuracy of the rifle.

You could be right but I usually don't have problems shooting. There's always a first for everything though.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You could be right but I usually don't have problems shooting. There's always a first for everything though.

Trust me, there is a learning curve when it comes to the AR. Some things that affect the shootability of the rifle are small, but often overlooked. Things such as grip, trigger, technique, stock, cheek weld, scope height etc. etc. For grips, I know a lot of us use the magpul K2+ on the rifles we used in the black rifle challenge. A good adjustable butt stock helps, a good scope mount that is solid and keeps the scope mounted low on the rail. Triggers like the Geiselle SSA-E, RRA varmint match, Larue mbt2s etc. Some of these things don't make the rifle shoot better, it just helps you as the shooter, have better control of the platform. Have you taken a look at the black rifle challenge, out of curiosity? It may give you some ideas, as to how to better set up your rifle.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Roystu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I really appreciate all of the suggestions that you have made. I have learned and that is why I came here. I am doing some small things to the rifle right now to help me try to close up the groups. I will continue to do this as I can. I like the idea of the BRC, It can do nothing but help. Thanks again for helping in my ignorance.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really appreciate all of the suggestions that you have made. I have learned and that is why I came here. I am doing some small things to the rifle right now to help me try to close up the groups. I will continue to do this as I can. I like the idea of the BRC, It can do nothing but help. Thanks again for helping in my ignorance.

I'm new to the AR platform myself. It took me a while to hone in my shooting skill with them. I'm still working on it, as a matter of fact. It is different than shooting a bolt gun. I've heard others say this as well, so I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you go to a regular HP Rifle match most of the shooters will have their nose touching the charging handle. In exactly the same place on the handle every time. Just to keep your head position the same every shoot. Also if you cant the rifle differently between shots in can make a big difference. Just a couple of things I would throw out there that are a little different.

BTW I will never put my nose against the bolt on a 300 magnum!

R
Roystu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The new trigger came in. I installed last night and it feels much better than the milspec RR I had in it. Loaded up some 223 Winchester cases with Varget and 52 Gr Sierra MK's I will try them out along with some Federal Match 69 Gr. MK that I bought. We'll see what happens.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The new trigger came in. I installed last night and it feels much better than the milspec RR I had in it. Loaded up some 223 Winchester cases with Varget and 52 Gr Sierra MK's I will try them out along with some Federal Match 69 Gr. MK that I bought. We'll see what happens.

You will probably like the NM trigger. Be warned though, it may need a little polishing before you use it. All of my RRA varmint match triggers were gritty on the first stage. That can be fixed easily enough though. I also wonder why you chose that particular model? Generally most guys will buy the varmint match. Although, I believe the only difference is the spring weight. Beyond the varmint match, the others that are on the top of the list are the SSA-E and Larue Tactical MBT2S that has been on sale for $87.00 for quite some time.. I like the NM triggers, but eventually replaced all I had with the VM and SSA-E. A good trigger makes all the difference in the world to me, maybe not so much for others, because like you I have a lot more experience behind a bolt gun and those (of mine) always have excellent fine tuned triggers... Let us know if that trigger helps and how your new loads work out..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good barrel and good ammo. I'm being technical here. Float and trigger have nothing to do with the accuracy. BUT one helps vibrations and sling, or bipod tensions, the trigger helps you SHOOT better not make the gun more accurate. Yes there are nits in this post.

You will enjoy the trigger. Might make you want to get an even better one. You never know. ( I have quite a few RRA varmints and NM that are good enough for my work)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Good barrel and good ammo. I'm being technical here. Float and trigger have nothing to do with the accuracy. BUT one helps vibrations and sling, or bipod tensions, the trigger helps you SHOOT better not make the gun more accurate. Yes there are nits in this post.

You will enjoy the trigger. Might make you want to get an even better one. You never know. ( I have quite a few RRA varmints and NM that are good enough for my work)

I believe, even you said you fine tune your RRA triggers.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 14Homer
If you go to a regular HP Rifle match most of the shooters will have their nose touching the charging handle. In exactly the same place on the handle every time. Just to keep your head position the same every shoot. Also if you cant the rifle differently between shots in can make a big difference. Just a couple of things I would throw out there that are a little different.

BTW I will never put my nose against the bolt on a 300 magnum!

That’s how they teach you to shoot in the Marine Corps nose touching the charging handle. I agree with you on the 300 Mag.

R
Roystu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

You will probably like the NM trigger. Be warned though, it may need a little polishing before you use it. All of my RRA varmint match triggers were gritty on the first stage. That can be fixed easily enough though. I also wonder why you chose that particular model? Generally most guys will buy the varmint match. Although, I believe the only difference is the spring weight. Beyond the varmint match, the others that are on the top of the list are the SSA-E and Larue Tactical MBT2S that has been on sale for $87.00 for quite some time.. I like the NM triggers, but eventually replaced all I had with the VM and SSA-E. A good trigger makes all the difference in the world to me, maybe not so much for others, because like you I have a lot more experience behind a bolt gun and those (of mine) always have excellent fine tuned triggers... Let us know if that trigger helps and how your new loads work out..

I did get the varmint trigger, so far it feels much better than what was in there. I do believe it needs polishing. It is breaking at 4.5. I am going to run a couple of hundred rounds through it to see if it lightens up If not I'll take to polishing. Thanks for all the encouragement!!

Last edited by Roystu; 02/13/19.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I did get the varmint trigger, so far it feels much better than what was in there. I do believe it needs polishing. It is breaking at 4.5. I am going to run a couple of hundred rounds through it to see if it lightens up If not I'll take to polishing. Thanks for all the encouragement!!

Excellent man. The RRA varmint match is one of my favorites, after just a little bit of polishing. They are great for the money. I actually just sent a brand new Larue Tactical mbt2s to a buddy here, because i didnt want to take the RRA out of my AR10. You will like yours.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I believe that is the NM trigger. The Varmint 2 stage is supposed to break at 3.5#. I believe the only diff is springs.

Last edited by Tyrone; 02/14/19.

Politics is War by Other Means
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I bought the Varmint 3.5# trigger and it was good out of the box without polishing, must have got lucky. However, I didn't like how light the trigger return felt; it was not ideal for shooting quickly. I put a mil-spec trigger spring back in it, which put it at about 4.5 lb so basically it's the NM version now as far as I can tell.

R
Roystu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

I believe that is the NM trigger. The Varmint 2 stage is supposed to break at 3.5#. I believe the only diff is springs.

It was suppose to be the Varmint. Came with the blue instruction card that only suppose to come with that trigger. I called RR and told them about the poundage. I was told that they did not use a trigger gauge to set the triggers . They use weight. I can send it back to them but choose not to. I'll get it down to where I need it myself.

Last edited by Roystu; 02/14/19.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,563 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.