Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have the Glock M26 9MM and I carry the "GRIZZLY BEAR LOAD" in mine.

Last edited by glockdoofus; 02/10/19.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Still carry my 40. Like my 40.

Stil carry my 45. Like my 45.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I suppose a person can 'tiptoe through the tulips ' with any of them. The 40's seem to be in disfavor only because of the big PD's going to 9mm for accommodation to certain needs. Ant there are significant bargains in buying a Glock 40 these days from trade-ins that appear new or near new. And calibers can be changed in that platform.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by g5m
I suppose a person can 'tiptoe through the tulips ' with any of them. The 40's seem to be in disfavor only because of the big PD's going to 9mm for accommodation to certain needs. Ant there are significant bargains in buying a Glock 40 these days from trade-ins that appear new or near new. And calibers can be changed in that platform.

I had a long career in LE, with most of it in firearms training and heavy influence of procurement. I stayed in touch with my counterparts at several larger municipal, county and state agencies. Let me break some news to you... LE Agencies are some of the worst Fad Beotches when it comes to choosing weapons and munitions. If two or more large, nationally known agencies adopt a cartridge/platform, hundreds of smaller ones will break their necks and their budgets to get it. Reams of paper are expended justifying this 'needed change' and days are wasted selling to to whatever government entity is expected to finance it. 98% of the people making these decisions have never seen a living thing shot with a service caliber pistol, much less shooting it themselves, and they have never dressed a head of game shot with them, attended an autopsy etc.

The best analogy of LE Firearms is 'the wave' at concerts and sports events. Most of the people involved don't have a clue why they're doing it.They just know everybody else is, and they don't want to be left out.

[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
👍.

Why if the FBI or LAPD is doing it, it must be the best. lol

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by g5m

I had a long career in LE, with most of it in firearms training and heavy influence of procurement. I stayed in touch with my counterparts at several larger municipal, county and state agencies. Let me break some news to you... LE Agencies are some of the worst Fad Beotches when it comes to choosing weapons and munitions. If two or more large, nationally known agencies adopt a cartridge/platform, hundreds of smaller ones will break their necks and their budgets to get it. Reams of paper are expended justifying this 'needed change' and days are wasted selling to to whatever government entity is expected to finance it. 98% of the people making these decisions have never seen a living thing shot with a service caliber pistol, much less shooting it themselves, and they have never dressed a head of game shot with them, attended an autopsy etc.

The best analogy of LE Firearms is 'the wave' at concerts and sports events. Most of the people involved don't have a clue why they're doing it.They just know everybody else is, and they don't want to be left out.

[Linked Image]

boy isn't that the truth. but if it wasn't, a bunch of those nice weapons coming out of california depts would stop and that would be a bad thing.
i have seen a number for sale dumped by those agencies that still had the factory grease in them.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I saw the process repeat itself time after time. The shift from 38's to 357's, the rise of the wonder-nine, the exodus to Glocks; and the shift 10mm to 40 S&W and the advancements in bullet technology that followed. And now finally, we are back to the nines.

I remember rolling out of shift change as a rookie with a Model 15, two dump pouches of Remington 125 38 Specials and a four-shot 870 in the rack. I hold no find memories of those revolvers. We wanted better armament and we eventually got it. In my opinion, the pinnacle of duty pistols was a night-sighted G22 with 15 165 grain HSTs on board and 28 more on the belt. But the only thing constant is change.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
What’s your thoughts on the 357 sig?

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking

I had a Sig P239 in .357 Sig back in the 1990s. It was my regular carry gun for a few months, as I took it to the range regularly in an effort to master it in terms of the transition from double to single action. I had no trouble with it in terms of recoil, flash, and blast, but never felt really comfortable with that transition, so ended up switching to 1911s in .45 ACP, which I stuck with for quite a few years. As for the .357 Sig round itself, I don't think it has enough to offer over a hot 9mm to justify its increased cost per round and reduced capacity.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by spence1875
357 sig or full 10mm both have the upper limits of recoil most shooters can handle, large muzzle blast and a fair amount of muzzle flip. that is why no major agencies are using either currently and those that are are transitioning to 9mm. Also when talking about agencies with a large number of shooters ammunition cost comes into play, there is no economy of scale with 357 sig or full 10 compared to 9mm or 45. The overall civilian and le demand for these calibers is low so prices are high.

Bottom line is that is you use a top end bonded bullet in most self defense situations 38, 357, 9, 40 or 45 will all work equally well if you can do your part with your shooting iron.

I use all of the above calibers except for 357 sig, which I have used in the past, I am gtg with them all.

There are several large agencies carrying the 357 Sig. Including federal agencies

IMO the Sig round has less recoil and less muzzle flash than a 40

When we transitioned to the 357 Sig from the 45 ammo cost was the same

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I think it accomplished the goal of duplicating the ballistics of the Federal 125 grain 357 Mag load, from 4" service revolvers, in a semiauto platform.

But the Federal 9BPLE gets awfully close.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I carried 147s for the longest time, 20+ years.

I just in the last year bought a few boxes of the Hornady 135gr +P Critical Duty, and have the Nines loaded up with that. Honestly though, I think I'll be migrating back to the 147gr. I just like it, I favor deeper penetration first.

I believe the FBI just chose the Hornady Critical Duty 135 +P for its ability to penetrate.

Yeah I saw that too.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I carried 147s for the longest time, 20+ years.

I just in the last year bought a few boxes of the Hornady 135gr +P Critical Duty, and have the Nines loaded up with that. Honestly though, I think I'll be migrating back to the 147gr. I just like it, I favor deeper penetration first.

Everybody wants deeper penetration. You, me, steelhead, TWR, Kim Kardashian.........

That's the spirit!

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

I think it accomplished the goal of duplicating the ballistics of the Federal 125 grain 357 Mag load, from 4" service revolvers, in a semiauto platform.

Corbon steps on its heels pretty good without exceeding 3850 PSI.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

[Linked Image]
The best factory loads for the 9 ever produced IMO.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Here's their 125 grain +P 9mm (again, not exceeding 2850 PSI):

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
carried the 40 on the job for a long time thought it was great.

but for me personally i prefer the 9mm. i shoot it better and know its just as effective

FJB
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Having the choice between any pistol made to carry, I chose a Glock 19 loaded with Winchester 125 grain +P+ as my carry ...

C
C
Started on the PD in 1969 with a 38spl.Dept went to 9mm in 1987, then to 40s&w in 1995. I am retired now and do qualify yearly with a Springfield sub compact mod 2 45 acp using 230 gold dots. Mag 10+1, extended mag 13+1. Those young officers shooting their 40's are sure surprised when I keep up with them shooting my 45, then they find out that I am 75 years old, they just shake their heads and smile.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cockeyed_bill
Those young officers shooting their 40's are sure surprised when I keep up with them shooting my 45, then they find out that I am 75 years old, they just shake their heads and smile.

HA! That's great! Good on 'ya!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,929 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.