Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's my understanding the snipers are doing their thing about 10 miles away, on game lands.
With plans to do it all over this area.
Our local numbers have been seriously reduced in the last 20 years.
Now, PGC has decided the way to save the deer from CWD is to kill them.
Paid "sharpshooters" are whacking them over bait piles.

The hypocrisy is enormous. For several years putting any feed out for deer
has been illegal, on the theory that it spreads CWD. Now, they do it.
Hunting over bait, shooting after hours, not tagging, killing too many deer.
They were hunting poachers like dogs a month ago. Now, they are trying to eliminate
the deer. Why not just let hunters do it?

They are asking permission to kill on private property.
Rumor has it a farmer gave permission. Then rescinded,
after his barn was threatened. The whole dam world
is corrupt, and nuts.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That doesn’t sound right!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
no deer no more need for guns simple

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ridiculous. It’s an exercise in futility. It’s like trying to exterminate coyotes. You can try but you won’t get anywhere. Unfortunately CWD won’t go away as long as deer feed on agricultural crops. If they were able to back to browsing it might help. Better bet would be to have farmers burn their fields after the crops are harvested. This MIGHT deter the deer from feeding in mass numbers in the fields and MIGHT kill the prions of CWD that are left in the field. No one knows what to do and they’re merely punting at this point.

Last edited by brinky72; 02/04/19.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by brinky72
Ridiculous. It’s an exercise in futility. It’s like trying to exterminate coyotes. You can try but you won’t get anywhere. Unfortunately CWD won’t go away as long as deer feed on agricultural crops. If they were able to back to browsing it might help. Better bet would be to have farmers burn their fields after the crops are harvested. This MIGHT deter the deer from feeding in mass numbers in the fields and MIGHT kill the prions of CWD that are left in the field. No one knows what to do and they’re merely punting at this point.

Apparently much more unknown than known about cwd.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The PGC does not know what to do about CWD. They pass laws with little thought,I.e. I used to raise deer when CWD came to Pa. we were told to gut skin and cut up the captive deer right here on the farm to keep the prions somewhat contained...what they never mandated was how to dispose of deer that die naturally or the skin, bone, guts,etc of those I did kill from the captive herd for meat. As if those prions would just stay here on the farm...what if I wanted to put them in the trash? Perfectly legal.

In wmu 5c there is no fall turkey hunting even though I have about 60 birds on my farm. Those idiots from the PGC asked if they could trap Turkey's here to transplant. I told them you closed fall hunting cause you said there was too few birds now you want to trap and transfer from my place....go fugg yourself.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There is no way you can convince me that it isn't being spread to some degree by birds.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brinky72
No one knows what to do and they’re merely punting at this point.

Ain't that the truth!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The original goal of the greenies was to reduce game numbers to such low levels that hunting would have to be eliminated. The plan was to use wolves and bears to do it. That was their actual stated plan. In the northern Rockies, it backfired on them because they never dreamed that wolves would become game animals themselves. We almost had a grizzly hunt this year but a lefty federal judge stopped it at the last minute.
I guess that since the predators didn't work, they've gone to just killing the deer themselves.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This stuff always pisses me off. CWD has been around forever. It infected the tame herds and suddenly, it is given a name and it is a crisis. If a deer looks sick, walk away. It you kill a deer, don't eat the spine and brain. Game Departments get all wrapped up in ridiculous crap and do stupid stuff to try to solve it. Wisconsin tried the same thing, if I recall and it just pissed everybody off. Unreal.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The number of hunters in Wisconsin is way down,no one goes anymore.Many were scared off by the CWD,the DNR tried to kill off all the deer in the early 2000's,got to a point now where I hunt that you hardly hear a shot or rarely see a deer.The DNR ruined a great thing here.It went from a sporting tradition to a profitable business for the DNR, then they destroyed it and don't know what to do now.I think the numbers I seen last fall,the number of hunters is down close to 1/3 from the late 90's.such a shame.The facts known,I've known far more chronically wasted hunters than I ever saw deer

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The original goal of the greenies was to reduce game numbers to such low levels that hunting would have to be eliminated. The plan was to use wolves and bears to do it. That was their actual stated plan. In the northern Rockies, it backfired on them because they never dreamed that wolves would become game animals themselves. We almost had a grizzly hunt this year but a lefty federal judge stopped it at the last minute.
I guess that since the predators didn't work, they've gone to just killing the deer themselves.

Back in the mid to late eighties and to 95 or so I shot crop damage with my dad and uncles on a potato farm in Michigan. We had number around 60-70 deer per square mile. We shot well over 150 deer a year and there were other farms doing the same. We hardly made a dent in the population it seemed. The DNR reintroduced wolves in 94-95. That combined with a couple harsh winters reduced the overall deer population in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan by about 75% give or take. They wanted a wolf season here and it was stopped by a libtard judge as well. Locals took care of that issue themselves I think as wolf numbers are down drastically.

Last edited by brinky72; 02/05/19.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pa. Is a no baiting state for deer the game boys tell us it must remain that way because of herd health (CWD). I guess the deer in Texas or Ohio never heard of CWD...I hunt both those states both have better deer herds than Pa. and bait sales go up every year......hmmmmmmm

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They could always make opening day the Saturday after Thanksgiving. laugh

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Opening day of regular firearms season in Kansas is always the Wednesday after Thanksgiving then runs for twelve days or so until the second week on Dec.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
There is no way you can convince me that it isn't being spread to some degree by birds.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I always wondered if the insurance companies had anything to do with Wisconsins insane slaughter. They saved a lot of money from it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
It's my understanding the snipers are doing their thing about 10 miles away, on game lands.
With plans to do it all over this area.
Our local numbers have been seriously reduced in the last 20 years.
Now, PGC has decided the way to save the deer from CWD is to kill them.
Paid "sharpshooters" are whacking them over bait piles.

The hypocrisy is enormous. For several years putting any feed out for deer
has been illegal, on the theory that it spreads CWD. Now, they do it.
Hunting over bait, shooting after hours, not tagging, killing too many deer.
They were hunting poachers like dogs a month ago. Now, they are trying to eliminate
the deer. Why not just let hunters do it?

They are asking permission to kill on private property.
Rumor has it a farmer gave permission. Then rescinded,
after his barn was threatened. The whole dam world
is corrupt, and nuts.

For the last 30 years around here they’ve been called deprivation permits. Whack 30-40 no problem. Nothing new and it had nothing to do with CWD.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Insurance companies have been a driving force in our doe harvests for years.
When I was young, and we had a lot of deer, our county would get 5-8k doe permits.
They raised that to 14k+ along with allowing one to buy leftover tags and kill another deer.
They really reduced the herd. In excess of half, I'd guess.

We went from county tags to district tags that include parts of multiple counties, but
the doe allocation stayed similar. In addition, this year they issued several thousand
CWD tags in two small areas that are largely in this county.

The report tags from that are not required to be in yet.
But, they are already shooting deer.

Well, one local paper (today) says they have postponed the shooting.
But there are reports to the contrary, and people have posted photos of
huge bait piles. There are even supposed pics of dead dear being loaded up.

Who to believe?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2
I always wondered if the insurance companies had anything to do with Wisconsins insane slaughter. They saved a lot of money from it.

Oh yes they did,they pressured the DNR very hard,the DNR saw a profit in the beginning by the huge number of hunters and license sales.Then it back fired,so many wives said they didn't want the meat in their houses,almost no deer left,been 10 years or more now and the deer numbers are still way down,the little towns that use to thrive from the hunting numbers of $ spent a year by hunters.The economic effect has been horrible to these places.I do believe there is a thing as Chronic Wasting Disease but I don't believe its a new thing I think it is just a hype created by the DNR and insurance companies,and it has cost hunting overall in a bad way.Again,when you let government get involved it destroys everything

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 28 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,321
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.