Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tex09 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Does anyone have experience with the lefty walnut stocks that Boyd’s makes? Do they make quality walnut stocks?

I’m thinking about buying one unfinished in the upgraded Claro walnut and then adding a tru oil finish myself. Is that a bad idea?

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Go for it DIY IS gratifying. I have done a lot of their laminate stocks

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be very aware! As far as fit, you could throw a cat between the wood and metal. They are not a true LH stock. They are for a right hand action with a left hand cheekpiece. I bought one to use as a pattern for a true LH Zastava project, I neede about a pound of acreglas to get a decent pattern.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jkob
Be very aware! As far as fit, you could throw a cat between the wood and metal. They are not a true LH stock. They are for a right hand action with a left hand cheekpiece. I bought one to use as a pattern for a true LH Zastava project, I neede about a pound of acreglas to get a decent pattern.

They do have true left hand action stocks. You just have to read carefully before ordering. I've ordered a couple of the laminate stocks and been pleased with them. I have not ordered any walnut ones though.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Not a lefty but I bought one of the "rapid fire" stocks in walnut and it's beautiful. I couldn't be more pleased with it!

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’ve bought 2 Boyd’s. The rem 700 model dropped right in no issues. The m77 didn’t. Needed lots of help. Both lefty’s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jkob

I should clarify this, the stock I referred to was for a LH Mauser 98

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I got a lefty fpr Savage 308. Had to do some minor fitting but it came out fine.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Never had a LH Boyds, but have had good luck with RH. Compared to Richards Micorfit, Boyd's inletting is stellar. All those type stocks need some work.

I like the Jon Sundra shape, although not currently offered. This one, birch lam, for my Pre-64 6.5-284. I glassed and free floated it, finished it with with Tung Oil/Urethane. I sent it to Errol Case in MO for a Winchester style checkering pattern. I dyed the finish, NOT the wood, with Fiebings Dark Brown leather die, a trick I learned from a master stockmaker.

DF

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Nice !

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
. I dyed the finish, NOT the wood, with Fiebings Dark Brown leather die, a trick I learned from a master stockmaker.

DF

[Linked Image]

Very nice the stain takes the garish plywood look away.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
. I dyed the finish, NOT the wood, with Fiebings Dark Brown leather die, a trick I learned from a master stockmaker.

DF

[Linked Image]

Very nice the stain takes the garish plywood look away.

Yes it does, looks like nice walnut.

I started with a couple of soaking coats of Pro Oil from Brownells, wet sanding with 4-0 wet or dry to make a slurry. Then wiping across grain, leaving a full 24 hrs to dry. Did that twice, then a number of Tru Oil coats for fully fill the grain. Tru Oil is faster. Then I used the leather dye to stain the finish. That one takes some practice.

Then a couple coats or Pro Oil for the final finish. It's harder than Tru Oil, lasts better. This gun has been hunted for several years, still looks new.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody have pics of their XX Circassian or Claro?

Curious how nice they actually are?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I sent a Shaw back to them and they placed the action in a Walnut stock from Boyd’s. I am very pleased and it has garnered compliments.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.