Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll carry in some numbers, with hat in hand, and hope to farm another year.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good luck. Hope the rate is lower and the terms are easier. (They won't be but it is the thought that counts.)

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
The wife is getting started on that too Richard.

Good luck!

From the looks of your operation, I'd say you have nothing to worry about!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The older I get, the more I hate doing that.

I don't like owing.

Got a couple small things financed because the deal was right. All my tractors, and cows are paid for. No land payment.

Might not be "big", but I know those that are, and sure wouldn't want their bills.

Knew a couple of farmers that committed suicide when it rained too much to get their crops out...

No thanks.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Well folks, in Iowa they don't give farmland away. blush

Jim, thanks, if things get tough enough, I may have light my .25. cent cigars with a check written for 14 cents. Not them hundred dollar bills like some Montana, and Texas ranchers do. laugh

I'd love to get of debt, thing is, I just keep spendin' money.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, I remember back in the late 60s when a farm between A.C. and Newell went for $4000 per and people were wondering how it could ever pay for itself.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Right John, my wife, and I paid $2600, and it was a local scandal.

No way stupid me would make that work.

Farm land will almost never pay out at prices at the time.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know the feeling good luck..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hated those days when I had to go and try to get an operating loan. I was the world's worst at doing that kind of business. Thankfully those days are long gone. My cattle, equipment, and land are all paid for, and as I look back I see a lot of missed opportunities, and wish I could have some of them back. I'd loved to have bought more land, but those days are long gone as the price of land here is sky high, and far too rich for my blood, especially at my age.

I just thank the good Lord for what He has blessed me with, and given me the opportunity to have.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Well folks, in Iowa they don't give farmland away. blush

Jim, thanks, if things get tough enough, I may have light my .25. cent cigars with a check written for 14 cents. Not them hundred dollar bills like some Montana, and Texas ranchers do. laugh

I'd love to get of debt, thing is, I just keep spendin' money.

I'd have more hunnert dollar bills iffen I had some drillable oil on this ol' land. Jed Clampett, and a few others I know do pretty well that way.. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back years ago, there was a company that came in around here and started drilling wells, for gas and oil. They hit mostly gas, and some folks were told that they were going to be able to hook their homes up on this "free" gas, plus get a royalty check. Never panned out, and all those wells were soon abandoned. I have a 200 plus feet deep well on one of my places that was dug back in the 1940's, and I put a pump in it years ago to water livestock with. It was sulphur water, and at times a black oily substance was in the water. Always made me wonder what would have happened if they'd kept digging. Who knows, I might have been like Jed Clampett.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Back years ago, there was a company that came in around here and started drilling wells, for gas and oil. They hit mostly gas, and some folks were told that they were going to be able to hook their homes up on this "free" gas, plus get a royalty check. Never panned out, and all those wells were soon abandoned. I have a 200 plus feet deep well on one of my places that was dug back in the 1940's, and I put a pump in it years ago to water livestock with. It was sulphur water, and at times a black oily substance was in the water. Always made me wonder what would have happened if they'd kept digging. Who knows, I might have been like Jed Clampett.

I did get a pretty decent water well in NM from an old oil well drill.

They didn't find oil, but the water we pumped out of it was suitable for livestock.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My stock loved that sulphur water.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sulphur can kill cattle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sulphur can kill cattle.

It can, but what I've seen, is you run it into a holding pond or stock tank, and the sulpher dissipates pretty quick.

I'm watering some cows from a pretty good sized pond that I fill with an irrigation well. When it comes from the wellhead, it's stinky as all get out, but after a day on the pond, you never smell it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The sulphur in water is more a bad taste and smell than anything else. It's not going to hurt at all. There are two kinds of sulphur wells here, black and white sulphur. The black stuff is awful, and will eat up pipes, tanks, and pumps. I have a white sulphur well here that we used for our water on this place for a long time. We used it for everything but drinking. I finally laid 1/2 mile of line and hooked up on county water.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
The Sulphur in dried distillers' grain with deep well water can be toxic to cattle.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What isthe difference?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Sulphur in dried distillers' grain with deep well water can be toxic to cattle.

Wabi, the farm here where I've lived since 1985 was previously owned by a family member, who watered his cattle and hogs out of this well. This farm has always had a shortage of water, since the creek dries up in mid summer, and the ponds didn't hold much water. I use county water when the creek isn't running, or when I'm rotating pastures. My horses drink the well water 365 days a year.The well on the adjoining farm that I also own is sulphur as well, and I used it for many years to water my stock on there. There are also a number of other sulfhur water wells in this area.

Maybe there's a difference in the level of sulphur in wells, and that's why it happens in distillers grain. But, in my soon to be 69 years here on this earth, I've never heard of a problem with it here.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's not the water alone. They use Sulphur in the distilling process to lower the PH of the mash. They use sulfuric acid to clean the machinery.

If the Sulphur content of the DDG is high, and the well water is also high, some dead cattle is the result.

We did not learn this the easy way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,236
Posts18,466,721
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.