Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a buddy that knows I'm always on the look out for odd ball model 70's. He's known for awhile I been looking for one of these they were a 1 yr production run stainless pushfeeds in a model 70. I have seen 3 of these the other ones were chambered in 300 win mags, this one is in a 270 with a featherweight contour barrel on it. Anyhow he calls me up telling me about this stainless pushfeed he picked up dirt cheap. He's explaining the stock on this rifle I said someone else put that in a different synthetic stock..

He goes, yeah that's what I though until he pulled the action from the stock. inside the channel it has Winchester featherweight. Here is the kicker its not the synthetic stock that we are used to seeing on the All terrain model 70's. Those ones had the Schnabel for end on them. All The stainless push feeds,I have seen all had the black synthetic stock that we are used to seeing on the classic stainless rifles. This one on, on this rifle has a white spacer on the pistol grip cap, black recoil pad that is honeycombed.

It's just a real odd rifle to be turned out by Winchester. So my bud calls his friend up that worked for browning/winchester for years in the r&d department,he told him about it and he said he never seen a configuration like that, and told him that Winchester was doing a lot of things in 92 and this might have been a market type research rifle to see how it did and sent them out to dealer reps, to see how the reception was towards it. But Who knows...

Also I was told that these first stainless rifles made by Winchester the barrels were outsourced to 3 outfits Krieger, Douglas and Lilja. Because Winchester was not making stainless barrels yet, but take that with a grain of salt. As stated before Winchester was trying to turn out a product that the public would like and not be complete failure. Was also told a lot of the stainless push feeds never left the plant, due to quality issues and Winchester was trying to turn out a product that the public wouldn't badmouth. This action is smooth as glass and whoever did this trigger wow they did one hell of a job. These were made in 1992 the same year the classic hit the streets and by 1994 the classic were in full production, after 92 these pushfeed stainless rifles were never made again.

Anyhow I got it yesterday took it home cleaned it up and snapped a quick picture. When I get home I will take more pictures and get them posted up

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 02/05/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve got one that I converted to a 284 Winchester. They are a nice action, but certainly not the same quality as a CRF Model 70 classic.

My 284 produces 5 shot groups under 1/2” with a #2 Select Match Barrel.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
New information to me. Looking forward to reading additional comments.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Very interesting.. Thanks for all that info..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two years ago I picked up one (SS PF 30-06 Fwt) in a similar stock to what you've got. Great rifle - and yes, would be the exact same quality as a CRF Classic, just w/o a different extractor/feed system.

Mine was rebarrelled by Redneck into a 6.5x284 Norma, and would shoot nice tiny groups and scored this muley @560y that Fall:

[Linked Image]

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
IC B2

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tonight I need to take picture of the rifle and the stock, and post them up. The recoil pad is a pachmyr white line recoil pad. I ran a patch down the barrel and the bore looks like glass.. I'm going to get a scope on it and get it to the range. See how it does..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
I’ve got one that I converted to a 284 Winchester. They are a nice action, but certainly not the same quality as a CRF Model 70 classic.

It is actually better built then any CRF SS 70 I have owned and there have been many. Mine is in 300 win mag Only fly in the ointment is the flimsy synthetic stock.

My 284 produces 5 shot groups under 1/2” with a #2 Select Match Barrel.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 02/06/19.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Interesting bit about the barrels, although I think you can cross Krieger off the list of possibilities for the featherweight.
I believe this is about the 5th pf stainless FW I have seen. I think they are cool as heck.
Interested in seeing your stock. Haven’t seen the white line spacer before...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John, take some pics of the stock and more of the rifle. Cool stuff man..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I haven't forgot just been busy with other stuff, I will try get some pictures posted up soon..

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As promised

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
some more

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
last of them

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Man that's way too COOL !!! cool
Really like that stock; congrat's on a rare and fantastic M70....

Last edited by Cattledog; 02/14/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
99.9% sure that stock did not leave the factory with that pad or grip cap. Not that it matters.

SS push feeds are certainly rare.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by winchester70
99.9% sure that stock did not leave the factory with that pad or grip cap. Not that it matters.

SS push feeds are certainly rare.

Whoever did the work did a great job if it’s not factory. I should of pulled the action and snapped a picture of the barrel channel as well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sitting in one of my favorite gunshops for almost 26 years unfired. 300 Win mag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wow! That looks pristine! Nice find for sure.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Last edited by woods_walker; 02/14/19. Reason: Duplicate post..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.