-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am installing a 26in. Remington stainless barrel on my 700 BDL. I guess it is the std 9.25 twist. I have never used the 180 grain - Berger and Hornady. Should I expect good results? Already have 162 hdy hpbt, 168 sierra hpbt and 175 sierra spitzer.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by brinky72
I understand that the bad rap for erratic pressure the 7 Rem Mag got was due to tight chambers from dull reamers trying to keep up with production demands.

Where did you get that from?

mathman, Mule Deer posted this in another thread, maybe what he thinking:

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

All pressure barrels used by SAAMI members are supposed to have chamber (and bore-groove) dimensions that meet SAAMI standards. In other words, I sincerely doubt the Nosler pressure barrel has an out-of-spec chamber throat.

I do know that for a few years after the 7mm Remington Magnum was introduced, demand for rifles was so high that some factory-rifle chambers varied considerably in dimensions, creating problems with SOME factory ammo.

I suspect the problem with your BAR (and others) might have been due to the factory using worn reamers, to keep up with demand. Unlike custom gunsmiths, factories use relatively inexpensive reamers that start out on the upper edge of SAAMI dimensions. As the reamers wear, they naturally cut smaller chambers. Factories normally quit using reamers when they wear to minimum SAAMI dimensions, but occasionally don't, for whatever reason. The neck dimensions can get pretty tight, especially with some brands of brass with thicker necks.

Brass that's been fired and resized a number of times also tends to develop "the dreaded donut" at the base of the neck, due to the thicker brass in the shoulder moving forward. This can cause pressure problems as well. I first ran into the donut back in 1974, when handloading for my first .243 Winchester, but it occurs in quite a few cartridges, especially when brass gets sized so the shoulder doesn't firmly contact the front of the chamber--common in belted cases.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../why-is-the-7rm-underloaded#Post13002282

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have two, 7 mags. One is an sps, that has a rebuilt old-style Rem trigger and a B&C stock. It shoots 160 Partitions extremely well. The other is a Savage with custom stock and a Criterion barrel, that I shoot lighter bullets in. Both are 26-inch barrels. I have killed lots of stuff with them out to 443 yards, which is pretty long for me. They don't get used too much anymore, due to my easing back on the elk hunting and my use of 6.5s on deer.

The way both of these rifles shoot, I doubt there is anything that will do much better. I have been a fan for many years.

I have an -06 that kicks harder than either one.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In that same thread:

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Several reasons the 7mm RM is "underloaded," aside from the primary reason posted by Mathman, widely varying pressures:

The original factory loads were chronographed in 26" barrels, common back in 1962 when it was introduced, with a powder then unavailable to handloaders, IMR7828--which even today performs alongside newer magic powders.

This allowed the advertised factory velocities, but even then Remington factory ammo didn't quite make them, according to the Speer #6 manual, which contains a section on chronographed factory loads.

Also, the early reputation of the 7mm RM may not have been established because of actual ballistics. A lot of hunters and handloaders back then didn't have chronographs, so accepted the published factory and handloading velocities, yet their rifles still killed game with "reduced" ballistics.

A good friend bought one way back when, when everybody here in Montana had to have a "Big Seven," and according to the loading manuals his 160-grain handloads got over 3000 fps. It knocked the snot out of everything from deer to black bear to elk.

He bought a chronograph a few years later, long before most people did, and found out his magic handload got around 2700 fps, pretty much warmly-loaded 7x57 velocities.

But then, the 7x57 has been knocking the snot out of big game for a long time now!

MD is referring to this:

Originally Posted by mathman
Pressure isn't constant shot to shot. Modern testing equipment is able to show that the probability distribution of the pressure for the 7mm Rem Mag is spread out somewhat more than other cartridges. So the loading was changed to lower the mean pressure of the distribution enough so the area in the no go portion of the high pressure tail of the distribution became acceptably small.

That's what I consider "erratic pressures" with respect to a particular cartridge, in this case the 7mm RM.

Dimensional differences gun to gun causing them to need different powder charges will affect any cartridge.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
7 mm Rem. Mag. great cartridge , very accurate , very common cartridge for a magnum and the best part about buying and owning a 7mm Rem. Mag. rifle ammo is very easy to find/buy in north America including Canada and Alaska,that can be important. in a standard rifle chambered in a 7 mm Rem. Mag. with factory ammo you will never have a problem with pressures,as far as handloading a 7 Rem. Mag. if you follow safe reloading recipes in a new reloading book you won`t have any trouble either. my good friend who was a Ranger sniper for over 8 years until he was wounded that is his favorite cartridge the 7mm Rem. Mag. good luck with your choice ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pretty much. I’ve read it elsewhere too. Whether it exists or it’s rumor I would rather go with a custom custom barrel on a donor action piece it together myself. That way I know the chamber is good, I can get a longer throat if I want and I know what I have. It’s not that much more. Pretty much how I did my 280AI and will likely be the route I go for future rifles rather than production run rifles.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Tom264
Wait for the 7 creedmoor......

I can wait for a very long time.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by pete53
7 mm Rem. Mag. great cartridge , very accurate , very common cartridge for a magnum and the best part about buying and owning a 7mm Rem. Mag. rifle ammo is very easy to find/buy in north America including Canada and Alaska,that can be important. in a standard rifle chambered in a 7 mm Rem. Mag. with factory ammo you will never have a problem with pressures,as far as handloading a 7 Rem. Mag. if you follow safe reloading recipes in a new reloading book you won`t have any trouble either. my good friend who was a Ranger sniper for over 8 years until he was wounded that is his favorite cartridge the 7mm Rem. Mag. good luck with your choice ,Pete53

I'll bet your English teacher probably suffered from pressure problems.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
JMP- what 7mm did you get? what are you shooting at? I have a couple 7mm rem and they shoot real real good. ron

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Tom264
Wait for the 7 creedmoor......

I can wait for a very long time.

7mm PRC!

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well after the last 10" of snow, we got 11" more on Tuesday. Yesterday was real nice, so shot off the top deck of my home...my bench is under the white stuff.
Had ordered and got two more boxes of 162 ELDM`s, so loaded some of them, some 168 bergers and some 165 Sierra Game Changers. I didn`t have either the Berger or GC seating depth down pat, so took a SWAG with both..it worked out. Actually all three bullets shot to same POI, the ELDM giving me another 1/4" group. The GC and Bergers both went into 3/4" groups. Very happy with the results. Used RL-25 for all loads, was not able to chrony the GC`s or the Bergers. The 162 ELDM are at 3050, 3.410OAL.
MD suggests in his last GG book that there are some very accurate "factory" barrels out there. For a "living" gun writer..looks like he could be correct.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got a Rem. 700 with a 26 inch barrel. It is like new and I bought it right. I was going to rebarrel but decided to try it as is. I ordered a Ti stock and meopta glass for it and just bedded it. Plan on shooting it next week to see what it will do. I will keep you posted.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Love 'em.

Thanks for the inspiration to take mine out for exercise.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good Luck with it....if you think you need a bit more FPS...have a smith push the throat out a bit, you`ll be able to use the full potential of the case, IMHO. I made up a dummy cartridge using the 162 EDLM as bullet of choice, and seated when I wanted it. By count on this "new" barrel and including sight in to get on paper, I`ve only 32 down the tube.
Made up a drop chart out to 1k yesterday too. At 3050 and a stated Hornady G-1 BC of .670, chart says 1831 FPS at 1k and 1206 Ft Lbs. Not to shabby, if you`re into such stuff.

Last edited by CGPAUL; 02/14/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pete53

I'll bet your English teacher probably suffered from pressure problems.

no she liked me alot ,but don`t tell my wife please

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What about the 7 SAUM?

... or the .280 AI?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Rem Mag or Weatherby or RUM or STW are not talked about as good long range shooters? Are they just all old news?

On a .532" 700 Donor...the 7mm Rem Mag simply STEALS the fhuqking show.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps.

HINT.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by High_Noon
What about the 7 SAUM?

... or the .280 AI?

Now you’re talking.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What about the 7 SAUM?

... or the .280 AI?

Now you’re talking.

Have shot more than a whole fhuqking buncha both. Hint.

A Montucky 7 Whizzum with .796 BC 180 ELD's at 2900fps,reliably crushes alotta dumbfhuqktitude.

Hint...................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
What about the 7 SAUM?
... or the .280 AI?

Now you’re talking.
Have shot more than a whole fhuqking buncha both. Hint.
A Montucky 7 Whizzum with .796 BC 180 ELD's at 2900fps,reliably crushes alotta dumbfhuqktitude.
Hint...................(grin)

Apparently, I should clarify my question. I am not asking if the 7 SAUM or the .280 AI is the best 7mm long range performer, rather if they are decent long range and all around chamberings. I know the problem with brass availability, but Atlas Development Group currently has 7 SAUM brass available.

Last edited by High_Noon; 02/14/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (358WCF, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 23 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.