Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hesp Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
For many years I have been using the Barnes TSX & TTSX bullets with complete satisfaction. They leave no more copper fouling than any C&C bullets I've used.. Since the Nosler E-Tip has no relief groves like the Barnes TSX & Hornady GMX does it leave excess copper fouling? Also does it give you good accuracy. I'm asking because a site has a considerable price discount for Nosler blems. They state that the bullets have only cosmetic blems & are perfect otherwise. [img]http://www.shootersproshop.com/loading-reloading-bullets/nosler-270-130gr-accubond-blem-50ct.html[/img]

I've enclosed a link for you to preview. Your honest thoughts please.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The E-tip has a relief groove. You posted a link for the accubond.

Look here for 270 130 e-tip: http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-products/nosler-270-130gr-e-tip-with-band-blem-50ct.html

Or I know you’re partial to the 6.5 so here is the 6.5 120 grain e-tip: http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-products/nosler-6-5mm-120-grain-e-tip-over-run-50ct.html

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used the 7mm 140 grain e-tip on mule deer and cow elk last fall. Worked well, through and through on both animals.

ALDO LEOPOLD
H
Hesp Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks Kimber. Any problem with copper fouling? The Barnes TSX has the relief groves, the E-T doesn't. Does the absence of groves on the E-T bullet cause any excess drag problems.?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You must have missed Kimber's first sentence.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No copper fouling issues. One pass with Wipe Out and it barely had any blue.

ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The etips on the Shooter Pro Shop site may have "bands," but the regular etips that you buy anywhere else, do not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bdan68
The etips on the Shooter Pro Shop site may have "bands," but the regular etips that you buy anywhere else, do not.

I've not bought any in a while so am wondering why the pictures of them on Nosler's E-Tip page sure make it look like they all have a groove.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I load Nosler E-Tips, 130 gr., for my .270 WSM. At a BC of .459, this is one of the highest BC bullets in 130 gr. you can shoot in .277 cal. Accuracy is outstanding, and it has proven to be a great performer on deer, at ranges over 300 yards. MV from my .270 is 3300 fps, with impressive drift and drop numbers at longer ranges.
Fouling has not been a problem in my rifle, although I have treated the barrel wtih Dyna Bore Coat, which definitely helps.

Last edited by Bighorn; 01/18/19.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
H
Hesp Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks to all . Very informative.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I shot etips several years ago in my .243, and none had bands. I just ordered some to try again from Midway, and the new ones have the bands as shown above. It is much shallower than the grooves on the barnes and look to me more like a slight relief if you want to crimp. The old ones shot and killed well with no more fouling than any other bullet.

Last edited by mac805; 01/18/19.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The E-Tip is a cupro/nickle or gilded metal alloy the Barnes is solid copper. Neither has fouled since the original X bullet was changed to the TSX. I have only shot the "banded" E-Tips and might reduce my loads if shooting the un-banded type.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by bdan68

I've not bought any in a while so am wondering why the pictures of them on Nosler's E-Tip page sure make it look like they all have a groove.

Maybe they do. The ones I used in the past did not, except for the ones I bought from Shooters Pro Shop. So perhaps I was wrong in saying that only the bullets sold by SPS have the bands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pictures tell a thousand stories

[Linked Image]

ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
None of my ETs have grooves either. I've tried them in many rifles and had lack luster accuracy. I've tried them in some Rock and Krieger tubes as well as some very accurate factory rigs. Occasional decent submoa groups, but mostly around 1.25moa+. When a rifle shoots many diff pills very well, I have a hard time running them even though the accuracy is acceptable for hunting. I bought another box of 140s to try in my Gradous 7STW(Brux #3 9tw). Maybe they'll finally show promise...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Reloader7RM,

Like TSX's, or any other monolithic bullet, E-Tips are more sensitive to seating depth than lead-core bullets.

I have been shooting E-Tips since they appeared in 2007, and have encountered very few rifles that didn't shoot them well. My latest range session was with 100-grainers in my NULA .257 Weatherby. With a max load of H1000, three went into .27". I then shot another round to make sure it wasn't a lucky fluke, as many 3-shot groups are. The 4th expanded the group to .37".

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Reloader7RM,

Like TSX's, or any other monolithic bullet, E-Tips are more sensitive to seating depth than lead-core bullets.

I have been shooting E-Tips since they appeared in 2007, and have encountered very few rifles that didn't shoot them well. My latest range session was with 100-grainers in my NULA .257 Weatherby. With a max load of H1000, three went into .27". I then shot another round to make sure it wasn't a lucky fluke, as many 3-shot groups are. The 4th expanded the group to .37".

I've tried jumping them a mile John, no dice. I'm glad others have great luck with them. You used to hear people complain about Partitions as well, but they've always shot very well for me....

The TTSX on the other hand shoot like match bullets in so many rifles, even rifles that are stubborn or have borderline barrels seem to shoot them fairly well.

I don't have time to tinker with stuff that doesn't work time and time again laugh

loder

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Reloader7RM,

MD, do they generally shoot better up close to the lands, or with some jump? I've been considering trying some....

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Depends on the rifle.

As I've noted in some other recent posts, I gave up trying to predict whether bullets would shoot better seated closer to the lands or farther away years ago. So I start with them seated as far out as possible, then seat 'em deeper if that doesn't work.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Mule Deer,
Aside from being legal in un-leaded areas and possibly increased accuracy, what are the advantages of the E-Tip bullets? I have no experience with these bullets and would like to know more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (222Sako, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.