Print Thread
Hop To
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
It's the time of year where my hunting is limited so I obsess about gear. I know KUIU sponsors this board but I am hoping it is okay to discuss other brands. Right now, my standard kit for backpack hunts is this:

Top: Merino long-sleeve base, fleece mid-layer, soft-shell jacket, puffy jacket that I take out when sitting in the cold
Bottom: Merino long johns, soft-shell pants, Primaloft puffy pants (only bring when high temps are below freezing)
Rain gear: Lightweight KUIU Teton top and bottom stored in my pack

I have been thinking about replacing the soft-shell jacket and pants with waterproof pants and jacket so I don't have to mess with unpacking rain gear.

I was about to buy the KUIU Yukon set because it is advertised as a product to wear full time. I like the idea of that but my obvious concerns are noise and durability. Does anyone know how quiet it is? Is the durability sufficient to wear it full time? I am thinking about wearing the pants while moving so noise is a big concern.

Are there products from other brands that fill this niche better? Thanks

GB1

S
S
I run the Yukon gear and haven't found it noisy. Its obviously not as "soft" as say the guide gear but hardly noisy. It sounds like you do stand hunting which is different than my mountain hunting but I think the Yukon stuff will suit your needs.

Adventure Oriented!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quietest I've found is Marmot Headwall Jacket with Mountain Hardwear Mountain bibs or Returnia ski pants. Waterproof.

ECWCS Gen2. With DWR properly applied adds even more quietness. Very durable. Waterproof.

Marmot Precip jacket and/or rainpants. Light weight. Waterproof.

Good breatheability. Great windproof choices, too.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys.

Swamp: I do some stand hunting but generally wear different gear for that. I use different methods for different animals. I backpack hunt in the Northeast most frequently and when I am hunting out here for whitetails, I mostly still hunt but will find a place to sit the first couple hours and last couple hours of daylight.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Theeck; good post. I’ve often wondered the same. I have my old (circa 1993) gortex rain gear from the military. It works but it’s noisy. I also watched the video posted here with the past founder of Kuiu on a sheep hunt with Trump Jr. and noticed how loud it was when he moved his arms. Not a big deal I suppose if you’re shooting at distance but when you’re still hunting or sitting it can bust you.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 49 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.