Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Got sick of spending$4 for 20 worms Everytime I wanna go down to the river so about 7 months ago I bought a can of nightcrawlers and put em in a tote with good soil. Been tossing in peanut shells and veggie scraps and they are really doing well. Couldn't tell you how many I've got in there but I see little baby ones in there too. Anyone else do this? Got any tips? I keep the tote inside except for nice days I'll put them out on the back porch for the day.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have not raised the worms, but it seems like a good plan to me.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandpa loved to bluegill fish. He built a worm bed and raised red wigglers. Grandpa had that worm raising thing down to a science. Going out to his worm bed and raking back the soil revealed thousands of fat wigglers. I remember how grandpa fussed over his worms, and how nice that was to have an endless supply of bait anytime you wanted it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a cousin that raised worms for a while, in an old hog barn. You could go there in the dark and hear them chewing. I kid you not. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Looking forward to spring when I can put some in a coffee can and get down to the river

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Folks around here used to turn an old refridgerator on it's back and fill with dirt and worms. Coffee grounds and potato peels for food. Only problem was keeping the ants out.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Give them melon rinds juicy side down you'll have some happy worms.

That thick band around the worm is called the clitellum. Worms reproduce when they rub their clitellems together.

Listen closely you can hear them moaning underground.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My grandfather said to dig a whole and fill it with spent coffee grounds.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hear that ground up cardboard is good feed too. They mostly eat the glue. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Early every spring I get 500 crawlers from a local wholesaler.

I keep them in a refrigerator set around 38*f to 40*f

[Linked Image]

For bedding I use;
A) what ever it is they come in ( it’s not dirt, so they can ship them to Canada.)
B) shredded newspaper
C) sometimes I throw in some “ Frabil, Fat and Sassy”.

I never seen any real difference the bedding made, and I Very Seldom loose any worms over the summertime.
I change the bedding about mid summer.
For feed I give them only corn meal about once a week.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Great Uncle who had worm farm somewhere in AL, I remember digging through the beds with my hands as a kid. Sounds like an easy way to make compost and bait. Anything special I should know before I order 1000 red wigglers? Might do nightcrawlers later if this goes well.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Worms are huge! Monsters. Biggest ones I've ever seen and alot of them are pregnant. Gonna give them till spring before I take some away to meet their death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there any particularly reliable place to order some red wigglers from? Think I'll try my hand at worm ranching this spring.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the link!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Beansnbacon: When I was a teenager during the summers I often worked gathering Moss for a worm farm farmer.
He had many dozens of waist high elevated worm "troughs" - each trough was about 6 feet long by 2 feet wide by 18 inches deep.
He said the moss was by far the best worm growing medium for breeding, raising and then removing (harvesting) the worms.
We would go out in the rainy forests of the western Cascade foothills and gather moss by the large burlap bag full.
Good for you on the worm farm project - worms are $2.75 per dozen here in the high Rockies of SW Montana.
I would have my own worm farm but its to cold outside in the winters (I think?) to grow my own, like my worm farm former employer did out in warm wet winter country.
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We raised night crawlers in a thing commonly called a compost pile. If starting from scratch add some lime, water, and turn the leaves and grass clippings over once a month to help it break down quicker and you should have a great bed in a year. You can speed things up a bit by laying down a couple inches of top soil, peat, and compost first and adding a couple dozen night crawlers to this layer. The worms will break down the leaves and clippings all by themselves. Adding food stuffs attracts raccoons, skunks, opossums, and the like which cause other problems in addition to eating the worms.

I have taken a couple thousand night crawlers out of an 8'x8'x3' compost pile at one time and still had plenty for the next couple months. This is the best way to ranch them as it takes little effort. One can remove 3/4 of the compost early in the year and use it for gardens. Just fill the pile up by fall so there will be plenty for the worms to winter in by fall.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.