Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Thinking of taking a 700 in 270win and screwing on a Hart barrel in 260rem. Any feeding issues or other problems to be aware of? I’d like the flexibility to seat bullets out and the 270 in question is approaching 2500 rounds and ready for a new barrel due to throat erosion.

GOD Bless America
BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It should be just fine..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've got one .hart barrel on an old sportsman 78 action .works just fine. Bonus you can run most an bullet seated to lands and run it through the mag

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I built a 260 using a pre 64 Win Mod 70, works just fine. No problems whatsoever.
Phil

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I did just that, but on a 30/06 chambered Model 700...
barrel was a take off barrel from a Rem VLS in 260 I bought for $50, when the owner bought it to convert it
to a 6 PPC...

had the smith throat it out to take bullet seated about as far out as was reasonable, needing a Crimp
to keep it from falling off the cartridge...

Feeding was never an issue.... nor was accuracy.

was shooting 142 Sierra Match bullets with it mainly....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Yes...but... I have done this on .308 in a standard action. As with an Improved chambering it takes some powder just to get back to equal the SAAMI performance. You lose a bit of barrel length too. The extra powder to get the hoped for advantage will cost you barrel life...as more of the powder is burned in the bore. Nit picking yes....This may explain why the "Creedmoor Clan" of cartridges is getting to be regular offerings as of late.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I put 260 barrels on a pair of Interarms Mark Xs, both have worked fine for better than a decade..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's gonna be a 700 long action, why not go with a 6.5/06?

Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Less recoil and I have an unlimited supply of 260 brass.

GOD Bless America
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I haven’t tried it but other Smith’s have recommend NOT to put a short action round like the 260 in a long because they result in feeding issues - most builds I see are XM (WSM size) so you have the flexibility of a short mag and a short action.

At the end of the day custom actions are not cheap so a good number of guys go this way and buy a second bolt so they can jump back and forth.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Quak
Less recoil and I have an unlimited supply of 260 brass.

More options for precision dies as well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Long bullets

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
700 long actions are very long.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It’ll work fine, block the box if it bugs you.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Uncas
Yes...but... I have done this on .308 in a standard action. As with an Improved chambering it takes some powder just to get back to equal the SAAMI performance. You lose a bit of barrel length too. The extra powder to get the hoped for advantage will cost you barrel life...as more of the powder is burned in the bore. Nit picking yes....This may explain why the "Creedmoor Clan" of cartridges is getting to be regular offerings as of late.

Not following the logic here. Why do you assume he's trying to get the "hoped for advantage" and/or will need more powder than a standard .260 Remington load?

Sounds to me like he just wants to build a .260 Remington on a long action.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
>>>>>>>>>>>>Most people use a longer action to seat long high BC bullets further than a short box magazine will allow. So far so good. When you seat a long bullet to extra long overall length an increase in volume is created. With the same powder charge as the standard load there may be space created (that will decrease pressure and velocity). To get back to standard pressure and velocity you increase the powder charge...just to get back to standard performance...of course you can perhaps change the type and charge to actually exceed by some margin standard performance.
>>>>>>>>>>>> No reason not to use a standard chamber in a rifle with a longer action...you may just have the action and want a different caliber...ALL GOOD ! In the old days short cartridges were available in standard actions like a .22 Hornet in a Pre-64 Winchester M-70. Pay 'yer money, take your choice!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Yes well the only way VLD bullets in otherwise short cases make any sense is in a longer than short action. If you build on a short action you always run out of OAL length in the magazine for the newest heavy for caliper VLD's. If you have to seat the bullet into the case to make it fit in the magazine you have already taken 2 steps backward. Once you get into 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm heavy for caliper VLD's in short actions it is game over if you want true precision sense you are now asking the bullet to jump a huge gap by precision reloading standards before engaging the rifling of the barrel!

I have been waiting for 2 decades for someone to post any credible research on short action being stiffer and stiffness being needed in the action behind the locking lugs since the cartridge is ahead of the locking lugs not behind them. Also the lines force the action are in line with the direction of travel and the barrel not perpendicular to the cartridge. Any stiffness afford a short action over a long action or magnum action would not be in line with the actual direction of travel so being stiffer perpendicular to the lines of force would not affect anything in the front receiver ring on forward or the locking lugs forward.

You would think if there was a large advantage the Militarizes of the world would be shortening and necking down 25mm rounds or 50BMG so they could have a insanely short fat case in insanely short auctioned rifles but we do not see this. Instead we see 338LM, 300 Win Mag loaded hot, 300 Norma Mag., 50 BMG etc.......Even the Army when using 7.62 NATO went with a long action that could be set up for 300 Win Mag if need be.

On that same note factory built rifles still have not modernized their twist rates to allow you to run VLD's in heavy weights for caliper so buying a factory rifle in a hot rod is not that smart. Just look at the 243 it has been around longer than I have been alive and factory rifles still have twist rates that make them useless for most VLD's. Keep in mind David Tubb used 243 for a long ago with VLD's that has to be 20 years ago.

So anytime you want to run very long bullets that are very heavy for caliper you always want more room in the magazine box to properly seat those bullets so they are kissing the rifling and you cannot do that on most short actions. In public schools they often leave out important words like "Theory" so it is the study of Evolution not the study of the "Theory of Evolution" again people leave out discount that Einsteins Theory of General Relativity has a lot of holes and things that just do not work out as "theorized" people treat it as if it is 100% factual and always works and describes all things when it really does not. Likewise when it comes to action length I have never seen any research with a large enough sample size to be statistically significant demonstrating that a short action is more accurate than a longer action. In fact the 300 Norma Magnum is a beast compared to most cartridges that people hunt with and think of and routinely shoot in most competitions even F-Open yet it has been turning in 4" groups at 1500m in US Military testing if what has been writen is accurate. In a fairly long action.

I would just caution you to take things with a grain of salt in terms of what is in pop culture in shooting circles. If there is no hard science to back it up then it is prob. not true and is like rules of thumb or old wives tales! If a third party is has not done the research it is likely not true. If the person educating you on the product is also selling said product then it is prob. not unbiased and is likely not true.

So logic dictates that a short action is not the way to go if you want a future proof rifle system that can be upgraded as technology and designs change with time!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Huh?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Huh?

That's not the question. This is the question:

Whut??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I did a 6.5 on a Model 70 long action... I didn't want the finicky-ness of 6.5 x 55 brass
so I went with necking up a 257 Roberts case, or necking down a 7 x 57 case, to have the
.473 bolt face.

its the same concept that the Creedmoor is getting all the hype about, just with a longer
case on a long action...

figured if it didn't give the velocity I was expecting, with long match bullets, I could rechamber to
the 6.5/06 or the 6.5 x 284 fairly easily.. or even based on a 270 case or 280, or 280AI case.

got to compare it when done, over the chronograph with a friends 6.5/06, an AI version also,
and a 6.5 x 284.

The 6.5 x 57 gave me the same velocity, with bullets seated out, as the above cartridges did, running about 10 grains less powder. right up thru 142 gr match bullets....

interesting side note, the owner of the 6.5/06 and the AI version, also found out that the AI version of his was slower in max velocity than the regualr 6.5/06.... both built by the same builder, on Ruger Long Action Model 77s... he built the AI only because an Action came his way cheap with a shot out chamber...

I also have a 260 Rem VLS, I had the throat on that barrel reamed out to take a cartridge, the length of when I experimented with a 260 on a long action 700. It works just fine, I just single shot it...its a use off the bench rifle anyway.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.