Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And he wounded many animals with the 150 FMJ. Not exactly a good comparison.

Today's expanding bullets are a lot better. There aren't many big game animals in the world I wouldn't happily hunt with the right 150-grain .30 at 2700 fps.

The bullets sucked, but so did his eyesight!

Wonder if Karamojo might have fared better with that combo? smile

(Give me TSX, however)

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Today's expanding bullets are a lot better. There aren't many big game animals in the world I wouldn't happily hunt with the right 150-grain .30 at 2700 fps.

Too right!

I started out hunting with a milsurp sporterized .303 Lee Enfield, but traded it for a Savage 99 in 308 Win, which was my only centerfire rifle for the next 20 years, and used it to put a lot of venison in the freezer. Initially I used Winchester factory ammo with the 150 gr Silvertip bullet. It worked. When I acquired my first chronograph, I recall finding these factory loads ran about 2700 fps. When I started handloading, I used Speer 150 gr bullets, and found the most accurate RL15 charge gave a velocity right at 2700 fps, and they worked, too. Then I switched to 150 gr NP's, and they work, too.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Yes sir , as was said earlier , the deer just hate the old warhorse .300 !👍

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My old man has an old Remington 760 in 300 savage. He's always dropped his deer on the spot, so I have always thought
it was the best rifle and cartridge a man could get. We have a few old boxes of Winchester Silvertip and damn do they work good.

Someday I would like to track down a savage model 20 in this caliber.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My 700 Classic in .300 is a dandy. Took some work to get it to shoot, as one recoil lug didn't bear at all, and there ws a pressure point on the right of the barrel, as well as beneath. Floated, bedded, lapped the lugs, and put a Callahan firing pin assembly in to get rid of the J-lock, and it nestles 150gr Sierras into 3/4" groups all day. Occasionally smaller. Had a 99 that I foolishly sold to help fifnance my first Wyoming trip (2001). Sold it with a box of 150gr Speer mag-tip reloads that reliably shot 1 1/2' groups. Saw the guy in the ER four years later. He had fired eight shots in four years. First year, he fired one shot at 100yds that hit inc-and-a-half high of center. Good enough. Shot the biggest buck of his life that year with one shot. Repeated each year after that. Both rifles wear 4x scopes, which seem proper for cartridge and rifle.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just returned from the range with the new (old) savage. Shot factory Federal 180s and my hand load 180s (Gunner 500's load 4ogr RL-15) plus factory Winchester Power Points. Rifle has an old Weaver 2.5X so a bit difficult to shoot precisely. I was also reticent to fiddle with the adjustments as the scope is over sixty years old. I was not disappointed . This is what she produced "as is":
[Linked Image]

And the rifle:

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great looking rifle Jorge. I picked up in a pawn shopp last year made in 1952. I haven't had a chance to work with it a whole lot but when I did, I shot a bunch of 150s and I was actually surprised how well most shot with W748.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Just returned from the range with the new (old) savage. Shot factory Federal 180s and my hand load 180s (Gunner 500's load 4ogr RL-15) plus factory Winchester Power Points. Rifle has an old Weaver 2.5X so a bit difficult to shoot precisely. I was also reticent to fiddle with the adjustments as the scope is over sixty years old. I was not disappointed . This is what she produced "as is":
[Linked Image]

And the rifle:

[Linked Image]
What a beautiful rifle, and a sweet shooter to boot.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Son of a gun, Jorge.....looks as though you hit the aesthetic AND performance jackpot! What a sweet shooting and looking rifle!

The M99s are classy! But,I am curious how your M-S 257 Roberts worked out for you. Do you mind if I sidetrack your 300 Sav thread a mite and ask how it shoots?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jorge,
beautiful rifle and very nice shooting.
Thank you to all who posted memories or photos of their favorite.
I have posted this before. BUT Its threads like this that I blame for my buying it. Even better, last time I linked the picture a set of very nice Redding dies found their way to my house from a campfire member who's dad was fond of the 300. I load with them and hope it keeps the circle going. My daughter loves this round and rifle.
My only deer with this Rifle fell soon after the shot. But it was and example of 1 and a ridiculously close deer. Round nose Hornady Interlock 150.
Love the 300 in this 722. It came from an estate and has been worked over. Barrel was cut back and recrowned. Lyman dovetail block was installed in the rear sight notch. Stock was retrofitted. Bolt knob had checkering done on the bottom after it was filed flat.
I found the early Weaver 2.5 at a local shop and installed it in the Weaver mounts. Still considering some options for the stock.
All in all its becoming a favorite.
But the 99's call to me every time I see one.

[Linked Image]

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree with mathman. The 300 was my first rifle. Did not get a shot at elk with it but it dropped several deer in their tracks or close. MD has the right loads!

Last edited by Mac284338; 02/09/19.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Good for coyotes

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hook
Son of a gun, Jorge.....looks as though you hit the aesthetic AND performance jackpot! What a sweet shooting and looking rifle!

The M99s are classy! But,I am curious how your M-S 257 Roberts worked out for you. Do you mind if I sidetrack your 300 Sav thread a mite and ask how it shoots?

[Linked Image]

100gr Hornady hand loads ( the tight triangle) and 117 SSTs factory

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To the guys that have posted, I have enjoyed this string, Thanks.
Good stuff. Betting most 300 Savage users are genuine hunters.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hook

[Linked Image]

100gr Hornady hand loads ( the tight triangle) and 117 SSTs factory

Oooookaay then....looks as though you are 2 for 2 lately. Congratulations on both of these winners. You might want to stop by the horse tracks more often!

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Picked up a nice 1911 Officer's Model as well. Check it out on the Handgun Forums...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bob_B257

[Linked Image]

Very nice rifle. But, how can you possibly hit anything with that dinky little scope? Shouldn't it be a 6.5-20x Nightforce that weighs 3lbs on that thing? laugh

Robert E. Howard
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Picked up a nice 1911 Officer's Model as well. Check it out on the Handgun Forums...

Quite a run there, Jorge. Don't think you have to be told, but you have a good carry piece there. Mine is a Mk IV stainless Officer's Model I've had since the 80s. Never had an issue with feeding or FTF that some on that thread talked about and I've shot quite a few different ammo types through it....both factory and reloads. It will be dependable!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My old neighbor " Bennie" a world war 2 vet now deceased,old Bennie lived near me in the country for many years,when Bennie heard us start shooting on my rifle range he always drove over and Bennie either just watched or had me sight in his 300 Savage 99 with some old ammo none were ever the same bullets but that old 99 in a 300 Savage still kept them around a inch even with that old 4x Weaver scope. Bennie in his younger days went to Canada for many years killed plenty moose with his Savage 99 in a 300 savage ,also many deer and bears too. 25 years ago old Bennie made me a believer of Savage 99`s and the 300 Savage cartridge when i sighted that old 99-300 in for him.

Last edited by pete53; 02/10/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
We way under estimate the killing power of a good shot.

+1, placement. placement, placement.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.