Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TJAY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I am looking at booking a bear hunt. I have never been on a baited hunt so any help on questions to ask the outfitter before booking would be appreciated. I am not new to outfitted hunts just bear hunting over bait. cool

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here's a few.
Find out how far from camp the baits are and how you're transported. Had to ride in the pickup bed on one hunt up to 2 hours over some rough roads. Not fun.
How about pickup from the stand at the end of day.?
Do they recommend a thermacell for bug repelling? (Good to have)
Treestands or Ground Blinds? Personally you might prefer one or the other or maybe physically one is better.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TJAY
I am looking at booking a bear hunt. I have never been on a baited hunt so any help on questions to ask the outfitter before booking would be appreciated. I am not new to outfitted hunts just bear hunting over bait. cool

Ask for dated, timed game cam pics as to what the outfitter is actually seeing on his baits.

I’ve done spot and stalk and baited. Baited does allow you to be more selective.
Jmo

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ask for dated, timed game cam pics as to what the outfitter is actually seeing on his baits.

and ask whats on the menu. Good bait is hard to come by, and if not put out in substantial quantity, the bear will leave, looking for better groceries.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
TJAY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the responses. I am making a list so when I talk to them I can get the info.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
In addition to timed photos of what is hitting baits, find out when bait is placed and how frequently

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TJAY
Thanks for the responses. I am making a list so when I talk to them I can get the info.

Are you looking for a horseback type hunt, drive up to type hunt, hike in type hunt,,,,,? Fall or spring hunt,,,? Price ranges you’re considering,,,?

Last edited by Old_Toot; 02/08/19.

T
TJAY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
We are looking at spring 2020 and most likely it will be a drive to outfitters camp, but one we are looking at is a fly in. $ range is 3 to 5K.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I can recommend 2 in Wyoming for you that I have used. Both are hard workers who know their business.
Check your pm’s

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My one and only guided hunt was out of The Pas, Manitoba. 8 of us drove up from sw Iowa and 8 of us drove home with a bear hide along with limits on walleye, pike, and lakers. The owner lived on a lake and let us use his boats whilst not in a tree. The fishing was outstanding and probably more fun than the hunt.

From my door to my door was $3400 if I remember correctly.

PM me if you're interested in the particulars.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
TJay, just curious, why you set on baited?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’ve been on a couple and now guide for an outfitter in Wyoming, If I were to ask one question it’d be how many hunters in camp. The one outfit I went to in Northern Minnesota when I showed up there was 30-40 hunters it was a [bleep] show.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
I’ve been on a couple and now guide for an outfitter in Wyoming, If I were to ask one question it’d be how many hunters in camp. The one outfit I went to in Northern Minnesota when I showed up there was 30-40 hunters it was a [bleep] show.

Oh Jesus, I'd be pissed..... I guess unless I was after a absolute giant bear, I'd just go hunt em, but then again bear don't really interest me...

Lots of good diy opportunity for bears..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Originally Posted by rflshtr
In addition to timed photos of what is hitting baits, find out when bait is placed and how frequently

A lot of good outfits aren't going to do this.

Here is why. It can, will, and does cause for a lot of problems in camp. Of course every guy wants to sit on the stand with the big boar coming to it. Another thing is depending on the bait sites the big bears can be hitting several of the bait sites. Then of course if for whatever reason that bear doesn't come into the bait site guys will say the guide is FOS.

Here are my questions I would ask.

1) What is the average size bears you are killing? What was the Biggest killed last season? Do you charge a penalty for shooting a Dink? (if the answer is no to the Dink, I would ask why not?)

2) How far are the bait sites from the lodging? What is the mode of transportation to and from? How many people per vehicle and what type of vehicle?

3) Are your bait sites marked for judging with a 36" mark where the bear must go near to get to the bait? Do you place 5' logs around the bait to aid in judging? Are your bait sites on public land?

4) Do you pull baits when you have sites only being hit during non-legal hunting hours?

5) How many other outfits are near your lodge? How many hunters do you take on in a season?

This should give you a really good idea if the outfit is in it solely for profit or in it for the love of it. Also tells you how much they are catering to you. I hope this helps you out.

I would add about what they use for bait, however it really doesn't matter what they use if they are getting bears on the sites during legal hunting hours.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Are you the first in or the last! Bear get jumpy and shy with pressure.

just for Fun
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Here is why. It can, will, and does cause for a lot of problems in camp. Of course every guy wants to sit on the stand with the big boar coming to it. Another thing is depending on the bait sites the big bears can be hitting several of the bait sites. Then of course if for whatever reason that bear doesn't come into the bait site guys will say the guide is FOS.

1) What is the average size bears you are killing? What was the Biggest killed last season? Do you charge a penalty for shooting a Dink? (if the answer is no to the Dink, I would ask why not?)

2) How far are the bait sites from the lodging? What is the mode of transportation to and from? How many people per vehicle and what type of vehicle?

3) Are your bait sites marked for judging with a 36" mark where the bear must go near to get to the bait? Do you place 5' logs around the bait to aid in judging? Are your bait sites on public land?

4) Do you pull baits when you have sites only being hit during non-legal hunting hours?

5) How many other outfits are near your lodge? How many hunters do you take on in a season?

This should give you a really good idea if the outfit is in it solely for profit or in it for the love of it. Also tells you how much they are catering to you. I hope this helps you out.

I would add about what they use for bait, however it really doesn't matter what they use if they are getting bears on the sites during legal hunting hours.

Good stuff here.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by clintsfolly
Are you the first in or the last! Bear get jumpy and shy with pressure.

Depends! Not if the outfit has plenty of bait sites to hunt. And or rotates bait sites being hunted judiciously.

I will also add I am not for asking the guide to change the site I am sitting on just because I don't see bears right away. But I will ask if I see small bears coming into the site not alert and skittish. That pretty much tells me there isn't or hasn't been a big bear coming into that site. Bear hunting over bait is a game of patients. Specially if your goal is to kill a nice mature boar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

All of this.
I'll also add that it's the rare exception to find an outfit that'll have satisfactory answers to these questions at a regional outdoor show. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SKane
I'll also add that it's the rare exception to find an outfit that'll have satisfactory answers to these questions at a regional outdoor show. wink

I agree, unless a guy is just starting up. Good outfitters don't need to go to outdoor shows. They are booked in advance with repeat customers and word of mouth. Outdoor shows are a waste of time and money for them. But a guy just starting out will most likely need to. Just because a guy is new doesn't mean he isn't worth looking at.

Edit: Be weary of the outfitter that has been around and is slumming outdoor shows.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 02/10/19.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If ur interested in Alberta PM me. Most amazing Hunt I’ve ever been on! Little pricey but incredible amount of bears! 50% color phase as well as big bears!

Roy

T
TJAY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks again to all for the responses. It is much appreciated.

For those that wonder why bait hunt. It is what my hunting partner wants to try and I am open to trying that style. We did an Idaho spot and stalk in 2013 and had a great time.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
TJAY if you are looking for a really good outfit and are willing to hunt in Maine give Keith Cote a call @ Sportsman's Pride Outfitters. (207)316-7682

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
TJAY if you are looking for a really good outfit and are willing to hunt in Maine give Keith Cote a call @ Sportsman's Pride Outfitters. (207)316-7682

Excellent website with a good FAQs section.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make sure they have what you're looking for. If you want a color phase bear, make sure they have them on camera. If you want a 6 1/2 or 7' bear make sure they have taken them in the past & still have them. How much are you willing to pay? Will you be happy if you go home empty handed if you don't see what you want.

I went on an AK interior baited grizzly hunt a few years ago. Guide ask me on day 1 what I wanted. I told him that everyone wants an 8' boar. But if one didn't come in--I'd be happy with a solid 7' well furred bear. Day 4 a solid 7'bear came in----great grizzled hide, no rubs, nice dark legs. I shot it. I'm still tickled pink every time I look at that rug.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Make sure they have what you're looking for. If you want a color phase bear, make sure they have them on camera. If you want a 6 1/2 or 7' bear make sure they have taken them in the past & still have them. How much are you willing to pay? Will you be happy if you go home empty handed if you don't see what you want.

I went on an AK interior baited grizzly hunt a few years ago. Guide ask me on day 1 what I wanted. I told him that everyone wants an 8' boar. But if one didn't come in--I'd be happy with a solid 7' well furred bear. Day 4 a solid 7'bear came in----great grizzled hide, no rubs, nice dark legs. I shot it. I'm still tickled pink every time I look at that rug.

Bob, check your pm’s, please.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have had good luck and great fun with eastern ridge adventures in Maine. Josh the owner is great. The guides are great. They have multiple bait sites that the guides use and each guide has their own area that they stay in. All the guides have trail cameras they use. Lodging is on a lake in cabins. You can get a private cabin or if there are multiple single guys they usually share a cabin. All meals and transportation to and from stands is included. Bait is included and done for you daily.
I have been 2 times so far and have another planned this year. 1st time was me and the boy and he shot a 250lb boar. I hunted the next few days after him and didn't see anything I wanted to shoot. 2nd time I went was the wife and I. It was her first time and she shot a boar in the first hour after being in the stand. It was 127lb. It was her first bear and she was more than happy to have it. I also shot a boar that was 175lb. and then I had 2 days left to relax and fish on the lake.
Im not going to say they are the best and have the biggest bear but they are probably the best outfitters I have been to to hunt with.
They are family friendly if that is a plus for you. We are taking my 2 girls for the kids season, which will also be their first times and then my wife and I will hunt after that.
As far as pricing I think they are more than fair and I would say would fit easily into the range you plan on spending.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (257 mag, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 10 invisible), 1,611 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.