Hop To
#13538404 02/07/19
R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I haven't done a lot of elk hunting (I've mostly hunted deer and antelope), but I have some land in Montana and I've caught elk on my game cams. I know what deer and antelope scat look like, but when I was on my land last week I saw a lot of scat in the snow that was obviously recent, but I couldn't tell if it was mule deer or elk. Is there anything in particular that is unique to elk that would distinguish it from deer?

For example, here are a few pics of the scat I saw. There were tracks that I knew were from the local mulies, and the scat around those tracks was smaller in size and quantity, but I couldn't tell whether these were just from larger mulie bucks or, hopefully, elk.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can tell the difference by the taste.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Likely deer.

Full turd

[Linked Image]

Pellet sized Scat

[Linked Image]

Don, can tell you how many antlers an elk has by the taste. Grin 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Smart Pills. Looks like Elk $hit, Tastes like Elk $hit, Smells like Elk $hit, Your getting smarter already. Rio7

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Elk droppings look different depending on time of year.When it starts to green up and everything is lush,it can look like small cow pies. as the grass dries up, you will see variations.When grass goes away and a lot of the food is browse with some grass,it turns into harder pellets.
Generally elk pellets are about 3 times the size of deer

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Likely deer.

Full turd

[Linked Image]

Pellet sized Scat

[Linked Image]

Don, can tell you how many antlers an elk has by the taste. Grin 😎

The top pic looks like spring or summer. It has more water in it from green plants than what you'll see in the fall.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remsen
I haven't done a lot of elk hunting (I've mostly hunted deer and antelope), but I have some land in Montana and I've caught elk on my game cams. I know what deer and antelope scat look like, but when I was on my land last week I saw a lot of scat in the snow that was obviously recent, but I couldn't tell if it was mule deer or elk. Is there anything in particular that is unique to elk that would distinguish it from deer?

For example, here are a few pics of the scat I saw. There were tracks that I knew were from the local mulies, and the scat around those tracks was smaller in size and quantity, but I couldn't tell whether these were just from larger mulie bucks or, hopefully, elk.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Elk and deer look pretty much alike except for size. They could be a calf but the tracks look too small. The tracks are too melted to really ID but I'm thinking it's a deer.

BTW, how did animal poop get the same name as a word meaning 'go away'?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
It looks like deer to me but the fist 2 pictures are elk and the last one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mostly size if looking at poop. A snap with tracks around. Also, mule deer typically drag their feet through snow. I.e Deer don't pick feet up high enough so there is a shallow trough between tracks.

One would think we'd have a pic. Will have to get Cookie out in the back yard tomorrow.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/16/19.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Scat LOL. Kaliforniia showing through.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Remesen, if there were elk around you would know by the tracks, bigger than mule deer or whitetail and stride length is obviously longer. Those pics you show are typical of mule deer droppings. Depending on what they are eating often times elk pellets will look as though someone gave them a little pinch them and squished some together. Again just depends on what they eat in your area. As mentioned above the size generally is larger as well.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.