Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

I am not solid on deciding on hosting it yet, but just want to throw out an idea for discussion. That idea is having the next SavageFest in Escanaba, MI. Escanaba is located in the beautiful Upper Peninsula. It is right on Lake Michigan by Little Bay De Noc. The area is known quite well for its walleye and smallmouth bass fishing. About 10 mins away is Gladstone, the home of Marbles. The Whitefish River has incredible trout fishing. There is a great public gun range here too. Millions of acres of public land to see wolf, moose, turkey, beaver and of course, monster bucks. It’s just north of the bridge and just south of heaven. smile

In short, it has a lot more going for it, activity wise, than just a place to host it. I am thinking spring when the fishing should be really good. Maybe a turkey hunt can be had to.

Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Last time I was in Escanaba was in '05, just after I retired. Took the wife up to visit her relatives, very few left now. Her mother had half a dozen nieces and a nephew, all lived in Escanaba, Gladstone, and the Stonington Peninsula. Could possibly talk the wife into a trip up there, but she is getting out of three months of post stroke rehab on Wednesday, so I doubt if she will be up for a road trip any time soon.

In laws bought a farm up in Stonington in 1997; eighty acres with house, barn, sheds, tractor and furniture for $5500. Spent several deer seasons up there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a great offer, and I would definitely try my best to make it anywhere there's a Fest. Won't really know until we get closer to it whether I could actually attend or not tho.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm in if it happens. What's closest airport, as some others might fly in?

Bruce
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hell, you put me on walleye like that, I might stay a week! Place here in CT where I fish for walleye, they average 20" maybe 3 lbs. Those babies look like they gotta be 8 or so. Largest I've gotten was 26", almost 7 lbs. Good eating!

Attached Images
1st Walleye SM.jpg (64.38 KB, 37 downloads)

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someday I'll be retired. Won't be 2020 though. grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only 360 miles for me; I'd be there. Heck, I'd make the drive just to fishing with you.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 02/07/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the consideration Jeff! We sure enjoyed yourself and Mason at the last one.
Planning a year in advance is good too. It's not really hard to host a fest, but booking a hall, hotels & some logistics are best to occur way up front or they become unavailable. The rest falls into place.

If you are the host, you make the rules. The beauty and activities in the area are all positives, however, the focus is Savage Fest. All the other potential stuff is great but that's largely up to whoever commits to the travel trip and how much time they can afford. It's difficult for most to load the truck, travel a day or two, attend Savage Fest and then "sight see" knowing another day or two of travels homeward. Just something to keep in mind.

The Wisconsin Fest's pulled in forum members from Hawaii, Kalifornee, North Carolina & Wyoming and places in between as well as lots of regional MI, WI, MN & ILL members. Maybe maddog would even come across the International Bridge. ??

Thanks for getting the conversation started. I'd definitely come and provide answers to any questions you may have.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Id like to come up Jeff, been, 7 years since I was up that way! Failed Bear Hunt! but enjoyed my time there!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I wouldn’t mind going to another fest, depending on how busy work is, and escanaba only about 180 miles away, so not to far away. Paul

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Do the buses still run up into the UP?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I misread the header; by next year maybe my wife will be ready for a road trip.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bigolddave
I misread the header; by next year maybe my wife will be ready for a road trip.

We’re all hoping for a quick and complete recovery for her. God Bless.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Any major airports nearby? Hopefully United is not the only airline that serves it! (ABU= anybody but united)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would be great to have one in Esky.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAS
It’s just north of the bridge and just south of heaven. smile

By south of heaven you mean the Soo?

I'd be in, only a couple hours drive for me.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never been to the UP. Would like to see it. Might be able to do it. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm in, it would be my first. I really wanted to go to last summer's Fest but the wife sprung a different plan on me for the following week so had to pivot. I've been up that way a couple times and going again would be fun.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you have never been to the UP, you owe it to yourself to go at least once. The Porcupine Mountains, the Superior and Michigan lake shore, miles and miles of wilderness roads, trout, salmon, muskies, northerns, walleyes, bass. If your favorite season is winter, you would love it; it lasts seven months, then a month of tough sledding. Summer is the opportunity for fly fishing for mosquitoes ( a stout salmon rod is enough, you don't need muskie tackle) and the limit is three, or six pound aggregate, which ever comes first. Then the most glorious season of all, when Autumn dances out in all her majestic glory!

By the way, those walleyes in the picture are bait, used in Little Bay de Noc for the big ones.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the problems of going and enjoying the area and surroundings for those of us who are remote, is what to do with our inventory while we are playing tourist.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Looks like you have a Ranger boat. What model 620 or 621 ? Year?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am interested. What time of year were you thinking?. Seeing this would be the first one for Michigan I would make the trek north and bring lots of Savage rifles and one shotgun. I spend a lot of time in the summer and fall fishing on the Manistee and Pere Marquette Rivers, and would cross the Big Mac and head west. Great Idea, thanks! 300 Savage

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the initial input.

Yes, there is an airport in Escanaba. Delta airlines flies in there. The airport code is ESC.

I am thinking late spring, early summer. Probably around early June.

Again, it’s just an idea at this point. There is a ton of cool stuff to do if you can stay longer.

If you want to store your stuff, rent an inside storage unit for about $70.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those who've never had a chance to explore this area, I stongly recommend doing it as a week long trip, not just a in and out for the weekend. Little Bay De Noc is some of the premiere walleye fishing to be found anywhere in the upper midwest. Lots of run stuff to do. Take a week-you won't be disappointed, and you will come back again.

Jeff-I PM'd you, but figured I'd post here. Count me in for sure. Most likely, I'll be bringing my wife along and doing it for a week. We'll have to go somewhere for some pasties with these yahoos.

Hope this comes together. Count me in, and let me know what I can do to help.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's too bad the guys will miss the Brown Trout run, but that probably doesn't get going till September. Dad talked about catching so many brown trout up there in the Little Bay De Noc that his arms hurt from reeling them in. Johnson hammered copper spoons were the ticket back then.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mentioned this to my wife after posting, she is more interested than I am so it is more likely I can make it than I originally thought.

With wives along many probably won't be able to go look at pasties and what recall seeing the times I was in the U.P. would not have me risking the wife's ire.

Or, are you not thinking of the same pasties I am? 🤔

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Mentioned this to my wife after posting, she is more interested than I am so it is more likely I can make it than I originally thought.

With wives along many probably won't be able to go look at pasties and what recall seeing the times I was in the U.P. would not have me risking the wife's ire.

Or, are you not thinking of the same pasties I am? 🤔

Well, I'd just say we're talking about the edible ones, but that could still get in a peck of trouble......

Picture a pot pie without gravy. That's the pasties we're talking about here.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
OH, so that is what you are talking about!😀

The last time I was in the UP was with my wife and mother. They said they were going out to buy pasties and asked if I wanted to go with. I looked at them with horror in my eyes and emphatically said, "No, I don't want to shop for pansies with my wife and especially my mom!"

They looked at me funny and then left. Later, I had to explain to my wife what I was referring to as she is rather naive to that side of life. She then proceeded to hit me. I am much abused.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The last time i drove thru the U.P. they were having a logging show,i remember a chainsaw throwing competition!!!! grin that and you better like listening to Gordon Lightfoot and the wreck of the Edmond Fitsgerald !!! grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hear talk of lots of trees and trout but are there women?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not many Gary! if Jeff has this shin dig, Jerry and I will make sure to get you up there! Maybe you can talk to Joe and his other brother Joe in PA. to make the trip also! grin

Last edited by saddlering; 02/10/19.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Im seriously thinking about it John. Just waiting to hear the date.

Joe

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That only a stones throw from where I've been deer hunting for the last 7-8 years. I would definitely be in for it. I love the U.P. Best smoked fish and pasties to be had.
Gary, there be perty womens in abundance. Its the Uppers best kept secret.. grin wink

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The area is primo if you like the outdoors in the north. I am currently looking for camp property with 45 minutes of the house. About 80-100 acres.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will have to bring your own women. I can recall a time on the Pere Marquette when two two Canoes with attractive women passed by, I was fishing with my son, who is a dead ringer for Brad Pitt, when he asked the folks in the canoe,
"how much for the women". They were gone in a heart beat with paddles flying in the air. I just thought he was trying to help his old dad out. I think by boy was trying to get his old dad Hooked Up, as the kids say!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I hear talk of lots of trees and trout but are there women?

Oh those crazy Finn broads, donchknowyasureyoubetcha!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Those crazy Finn women will get you in the sauna and beat your fanny with birch branches, eh?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only when you're rolling in the snow outside the sauna, grin grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cathy and I will probably make this a week's vacation. If anyone want's to go out on a charter boat, maybe we could put a run together. Maybe I'll bring my boat. I can seat 4 comfortably if I do. We could go that route too. Hope to be staying in a cabin on Little Bay De Noc.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I forgot about those Wonderful UP Pasties. Love those meat pies!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pasties are good, but if you make it all the way up to the iron range you can get a cudighi. That is a real treat.
https://yooperrecipes.com/cudighi/

https://abc10up.com/2017/12/08/cudighi-provides-uniqueness-deliciousness-yoopers/

Last edited by Youper; 02/12/19.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Jeff, I would do my best to be there, although it’s kind of far for me. Gotta be at least 1.5 hour drive....😁
For folks wanting to fly, Green Bay is about 1.5 hour drive, Appleton is 20 minutes further. Milwaukee is probably 3 hours. Anyone coming from the East by car would avoid Illinois by coming up through lower Michigan.
I could easily be convinced to pick some of you up in Green Bay and haul you up there. I have room at my house if you’re coming in a day early...

Brian

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You can also fly right into Escanaba via Delta Airlines. The Airport code is ESC.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can recognize the planes that fly into the UP, their power plants are two to four UP mosquitos!

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like there is enough interest for me to start an exploratory committee. First thing is to find a place. I am thinking the VFW or the State Fair grounds. I know a few County sheriffs that can moonlight for night security duty. More to follow.

My home is big and can serve as a drop off location if someone wants to hit the Bay for walleye or the Whitefish River for brookies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAS
Seems like there is enough interest for me to start an exploratory committee. First thing is to find a place. I am thinking the VFW or the State Fair grounds. I know a few County sheriffs that can moonlight for night security duty. More to follow.

My home is big and can serve as a drop off location if someone wants to hit the Bay for walleye or the Whitefish River for brookies.

If everything works out, I'm sure Savage Fest 2020 will be a fine show. Thanks for the effort Jeff!
Escanaba area is some pretty country land or sea.

Also of importance, some of us like to eat. smile
Dobbers Pastie, Hereford and Hops and the Swedish Pantry are at the top of my list...

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm really looking forward to this. If this all works out, and depending on when we do it, I might bring my boat and would like to offer up some fishing time to anyone interested in going out. We can seat four comfortably. Or maybe a charter run for fish on the big lake would be better. I'm willing to help in any way I possibly can. We'd be doing this as a vacation and plan on coming for a full week. Those who've never explored the U.P., and the Escanaba area in particular are in for a real treat, and I strongly recommend staying a few days if life and work permits.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,165
Posts18,465,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.