Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

I am not solid on deciding on hosting it yet, but just want to throw out an idea for discussion. That idea is having the next SavageFest in Escanaba, MI. Escanaba is located in the beautiful Upper Peninsula. It is right on Lake Michigan by Little Bay De Noc. The area is known quite well for its walleye and smallmouth bass fishing. About 10 mins away is Gladstone, the home of Marbles. The Whitefish River has incredible trout fishing. There is a great public gun range here too. Millions of acres of public land to see wolf, moose, turkey, beaver and of course, monster bucks. It’s just north of the bridge and just south of heaven. smile

In short, it has a lot more going for it, activity wise, than just a place to host it. I am thinking spring when the fishing should be really good. Maybe a turkey hunt can be had to.

Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Last time I was in Escanaba was in '05, just after I retired. Took the wife up to visit her relatives, very few left now. Her mother had half a dozen nieces and a nephew, all lived in Escanaba, Gladstone, and the Stonington Peninsula. Could possibly talk the wife into a trip up there, but she is getting out of three months of post stroke rehab on Wednesday, so I doubt if she will be up for a road trip any time soon.

In laws bought a farm up in Stonington in 1997; eighty acres with house, barn, sheds, tractor and furniture for $5500. Spent several deer seasons up there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a great offer, and I would definitely try my best to make it anywhere there's a Fest. Won't really know until we get closer to it whether I could actually attend or not tho.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm in if it happens. What's closest airport, as some others might fly in?

Bruce
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hell, you put me on walleye like that, I might stay a week! Place here in CT where I fish for walleye, they average 20" maybe 3 lbs. Those babies look like they gotta be 8 or so. Largest I've gotten was 26", almost 7 lbs. Good eating!

Attached Images
1st Walleye SM.jpg (64.38 KB, 37 downloads)

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someday I'll be retired. Won't be 2020 though. grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only 360 miles for me; I'd be there. Heck, I'd make the drive just to fishing with you.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 02/07/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the consideration Jeff! We sure enjoyed yourself and Mason at the last one.
Planning a year in advance is good too. It's not really hard to host a fest, but booking a hall, hotels & some logistics are best to occur way up front or they become unavailable. The rest falls into place.

If you are the host, you make the rules. The beauty and activities in the area are all positives, however, the focus is Savage Fest. All the other potential stuff is great but that's largely up to whoever commits to the travel trip and how much time they can afford. It's difficult for most to load the truck, travel a day or two, attend Savage Fest and then "sight see" knowing another day or two of travels homeward. Just something to keep in mind.

The Wisconsin Fest's pulled in forum members from Hawaii, Kalifornee, North Carolina & Wyoming and places in between as well as lots of regional MI, WI, MN & ILL members. Maybe maddog would even come across the International Bridge. ??

Thanks for getting the conversation started. I'd definitely come and provide answers to any questions you may have.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Id like to come up Jeff, been, 7 years since I was up that way! Failed Bear Hunt! but enjoyed my time there!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I wouldn’t mind going to another fest, depending on how busy work is, and escanaba only about 180 miles away, so not to far away. Paul

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Do the buses still run up into the UP?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I misread the header; by next year maybe my wife will be ready for a road trip.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bigolddave
I misread the header; by next year maybe my wife will be ready for a road trip.

We’re all hoping for a quick and complete recovery for her. God Bless.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Any major airports nearby? Hopefully United is not the only airline that serves it! (ABU= anybody but united)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would be great to have one in Esky.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAS
It’s just north of the bridge and just south of heaven. smile

By south of heaven you mean the Soo?

I'd be in, only a couple hours drive for me.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never been to the UP. Would like to see it. Might be able to do it. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm in, it would be my first. I really wanted to go to last summer's Fest but the wife sprung a different plan on me for the following week so had to pivot. I've been up that way a couple times and going again would be fun.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you have never been to the UP, you owe it to yourself to go at least once. The Porcupine Mountains, the Superior and Michigan lake shore, miles and miles of wilderness roads, trout, salmon, muskies, northerns, walleyes, bass. If your favorite season is winter, you would love it; it lasts seven months, then a month of tough sledding. Summer is the opportunity for fly fishing for mosquitoes ( a stout salmon rod is enough, you don't need muskie tackle) and the limit is three, or six pound aggregate, which ever comes first. Then the most glorious season of all, when Autumn dances out in all her majestic glory!

By the way, those walleyes in the picture are bait, used in Little Bay de Noc for the big ones.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the problems of going and enjoying the area and surroundings for those of us who are remote, is what to do with our inventory while we are playing tourist.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.