Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13541291 02/08/19
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Baling wire, Back when we got a few wire bales w would have a pile to use from.

Now I have to buy it new! This roll was bought at auction. It's not the best for any job, bit will make a quick patch. [Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Going haywire!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
At last! A reply that strictly pertains to the topic, and not the background junk!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can remember when half the equipment on a farm was held together with baling wire. Haven't seen any new in years.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love auctions.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Re bar tie wire is similar, and readily available

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used to have a big pile of baling wire in the scrap pile.

Just swing by and pick out as much as you need to fix fence, etc. But they pretty much quit using baling wire, and over the years that wire got worse and worse. Just rusted down in the pile.

I buy spools of galvanized wire now. Just throw the spool in and cut what I want from it.

Stronger and won't rust away.

Half a mile of that wire lasts me quite awhile. wink

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/red-brand-galvanized-electric-fence-wire-14-gauge-2640-ft

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish I had a nickel for every gate on the dairy that was tied shut with a double strand of baling wire

Panels tied to posts with wire to make a temporary pen that was still there years later.

I even brought a large bundle to school for the art teacher to make wire sculptures

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I can remember when half the equipment on a farm was held together with baling wire. Haven't seen any new in years.

Me too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You can fix anything with balin' wire or duct tape

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes Doc, Red Green ain't got nothin' on us old farmers,.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
When we fed the cows, Dad had a specific way he wanted the baling wire cut, folded and wrapped, so it could easily be reused for whatever was needed. We had a huge stack of the stuff. That was 40 years ago and I still have some of those wires neatly folded and wrapped in my shop, and tool boxes.

Nowdays I usually grab one of the remnant rolls of SS wire they use to wrap phone cable on overhead lines. It's easier to work with than the baling wire, last longer, but it is not as strong.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Baler wire also made a servicable gas-welding rod......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Allen917
When we fed the cows, Dad had a specific way he wanted the baling wire cut, folded and wrapped, so it could easily be reused for whatever was needed. We had a huge stack of the stuff. That was 40 years ago and I still have some of those wires neatly folded and wrapped in my shop, and tool boxes.

Nowdays I usually grab one of the remnant rolls of SS wire they use to wrap phone cable on overhead lines. It's easier to work with than the baling wire, last longer, but it is not as strong.

That's exactly right!

You cut both wires near the twist, pulled them off the hay bale, then pulled both wires even, and folded them in half, then folded them like that two more times until it was about 8-9 inches long... then you took one end wire and went around the bundle a couple times. That held it all together until you needed it. Then it would all come apart easily.

If you didn't know how to cut, fold and wrap baling wire, you were a greenhorn! wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Took awhile, but I found a pic of how to properly fold used baling wire... laugh

I'd like to have a dollar for every one of those wire bundles I've made...

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cowdoc
You can fix anything with balin' wire or duct tape

Duct tape is for people that have little or no talent. It will work, but a guy that has mastered haywire is nothing less than Michelangelo in repair artistry.

My father was one of those. We never went anywhere without several of those coils of wire under the seat. We built a horse manger using no nails or spikes with haywire. I learned from the best and even fixed a broken distributor with haywire...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I carry some wire when I travel. It could hold a muffler on for a while.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We didn't use much baling wire though there was always enough around to make temporary fixes. Mostly, we used small "square" bales which were held together with twine. Twine was used in place of wire on temporary repairs with many of those repairs lasting years.

By the time the farm was sold, most of the milking stantions were held together with twine. More than once a truly temporary repair of the belt for the suction motor was made with twine. It would last maybe long enough to milk one cow before a new belt needed to be made. Breaking that belt at night sucked as it meant two milkings using twine. Grandpa never bought a spare belt as he believed it would rot by the time we needed it. Maybe 30 years earlier when he "modernized" from hand milking that was true but by the 70s that wasn't nearly as much of a problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's nothing better than old baling wire for when you are making snare clamps when trapping.

Just the right tension and hold.. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I remember back in the mid to late 60's, baling wire was hard to find. Living south of Albuquerque, NM,we had to drive to Pueblo, Colorado and buy it off the dock of CF&I steel where they made it.That was a 800 mile round trip.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/09/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,178 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.