24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As in after how many shots? Carbon build-up is about the same as most rifles I guess. But 30-30 is a fairly slow bullet, so copper fouling should be less? I know my 30-06 seems to get copper built-up quicker for certain.

Is it necessary to clean it ever 20 to 30 shots?

I was just thinking about it and never really had a guideline to follow. Just usually whenever the mood strikes me.

Your thoughts?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just for giggles i tried pulling a bore snake through every 10 shots.
then after 20 shots. then after 50. in each case shot number 1 was 2 inches out of the group.
my shoulder hated me that day.
in that particular 30-30 i only shot powder coated cast bullets so had no leading or copper fouling.
in the 30-30 i shoot jacketed in i polished the bore when i got it and it has never fouled.
in my old 1926 savage 99 30-30 i scrub every 20 rounds with a brush and patches, with a bore snake between each magazine fired.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My intention is to clean it after every trip to the range, but often that doesn't happen and it will go for 100+ rounds.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My favorite Marlin 336 I haven't cleaned since 2006. It's seen a lot of ammo. I remember one day, shooting at 750 yards, I went through 150 rounds of ammo in it. Been lots of 50 round days inbetween.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I clean a fire arm after I am done with it. A lot of what I own is vintage and the barrels have a lot of gunk from decades of neglect. The marlin 30/30 micro grooves are unique in that most I have owned if not all have very good bores!

My friend turned me onto using a bore scope........now THAT is an eye opener!

I need to buy my own, but be careful what you ask for.......u might have a lot of scrubbing ahead!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was reading the Lyman reloading book on gun cleaning yesterday.

The author states, take the firearm out side. Sun to your back, look into the first inch or so of the barrel. If you see copper fouling it will be in the whole barrel.

By George a lot of my newly bought used Marlins have it. The LGS sold me a foam to try. Guaranteed results! So far very impressive!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would advise you to get a Lyman bore scope(aproximately $200) become your own expert.

Claims of miraculous bore cleaners will fade into oblivion.

Carbon gets cooked on, and becomes so hard it will be difficult to impossible to get out. Of course, accuracy is relevant, some people want an inch group, others, groups the size of a tea cup is just fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Second that on the borescope!

Real eye opener.

The miracle myacin is called Wipeout I am digging it!

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/08/19.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
"
The miracle myacin is called Wipeout I am digging it!"

worked for me with good bronze bristle brushes, otherwise, did not do much other than get out copper, did not touch carbon

[Linked Image][/URL]

[Linked Image][/URL]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Interesting observation. I have to reclean a few rifles with your method to set my mind at ease.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It seems on the vintage used stuff I buy.

After scrubbing away .......the copper fouling will really start to show on the area near the muzzel once it dries.
I really wonder how many firearms are limited in their potential by being miss diagnosed as having a clean bore but can't group.

I think a bore scope would be a huge eye opener to what " clean" actually is.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/09/19.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Easy way to check for copper is just stick a Q-tip cotton swab in the muzzle a little way. The light reflecting off of it (assuming decent light) will show any copper in the barrel.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thought these things were maintenance free?

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i follow the same routine for all my centerfires. i inspect them about this time of year and then run a boresnake of #9 through them and then a couple of patches with a dab of remoil and then shoot them all year, doing an exterior wipedown after each use. the mileage varies but the "collectors" may only get a half box shot once a year if that. the "users" get maybe 2-6 boxes, depending on our range time which varies anymore. i have a schit ton of guns and only so much time to shoot. but i am hoarding ammo for the days when my fun time isn't confined by weekends. plus i want to redo my range which i keep putting off. its on the list though and when its done i'm sure my interest will renew. if i had to shoot public ranges i would probably sell most of my guns and rarely shoot.

My diploma is a DD214
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Every leap year.
If I hunt in the rain or snow, Remington oil on a cloth. Pull a patch through with mobile 1.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once a year

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I clean mine every time I shoot it, unless I am going to use it the next day... All rifles and pistols are clean and oiled before going into the safe..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same here...... If I shoot it, I clean it. At the most I might put 20-25 rounds through it at the range, usually less because I always go to the range with several guns. If I'm hunting it could get postponed for a day or two. It's a Marlin and it's rare to get much, if any copper out of it.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
my 336 30-30 was made in 1964, my dad bought it used for me around 15 years ago. I never cleaned the bore in that rifle in these past 15 years, estimated round count since ive owned it is probably 250-300 rounds and i dont know if it was cleaned before i got it. It still shot good groupings but this past January i broke down and did a really good cleaning on the bore and internals. She was deffinately dirty but i believe it couldve gone another 300 rounds with no issues.

I clean my pistols every range trip but typaclly only clean rifles every 60-70 rounds. For some reason i just never thought about needing to clean my marlin. I most likely wont let it go so long again without cleaning

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.