-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let us never forget in the dead of night, in lousy weather there are those that stand at the ready to help others in need.

May God bless and comfort the families of the lost crew.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Would be good to bring closure for families. I hope they find it.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avi...-ambulance-wreckage-in-southeast-alaska/

Aviation
Specialized ‘ping’ detector from D.C. could be deployed to find air ambulance wreckage in Southeast Alaska
pencil Author: Zaz Hollander clock Updated: 16 hours ago calendar Published 17 hours ago

Federal air safety investigators are shipping to Alaska a device rarely, if ever, used here to aid in so far unsuccessful efforts to find the air ambulance that apparently crashed into the waters off Kake on Tuesday.

The decision comes as friends and family mourn the loss of the three crew members aboard the Guardian Flight aircraft: 63-year-old pilot Patrick Coyle, 30-year-old flight nurse Stacie Rae Morse and 43-year-old flight paramedic Margaret Langston. A candlelight vigil was planned for Friday night in Juneau from 6 until 6:19 p.m. -- the time the plane was expected to land in Kake.

Guardian Flight planned vigils Friday evening throughout the state, and in Arizona, Washington and California, to commemorate and pay respect to the three missing crew members. Vigils in Alaska were planned in Anchorage, Ketchikan, Fairbanks, Sitka, Kake, Nome, Haines, Hydaburg, Willow and Klawock.

The Beechcraft King Air 200 turboprop took off from Anchorage on Tuesday around 4 p.m. to make the roughly 600-mile flight for a patient pickup in the Tlingit village but never arrived.

Searchers spotted debris from a plane, including part of a wing, in the area of the plane’s last known location over Frederick Sound but was not able to locate any wreckage or crew members. The U.S. Coast Guard suspended the search for victims Thursday evening amid worsening seas.

There is no active search underway at this point, authorities say.

But it’s possible that federal aviation safety investigators could deploy a specialized device to try to find the wreckage.

The King Air was equipped with a cockpit voice recorder with an attached underwater locator beacon, according to Clint Johnson, Alaska chief for the National Transportation Safety Board.

Alaska investigators are waiting on a shipment from the agency’s Washington, D.C., headquarters of an underwater acoustic locator that reads the pings the box may be emitting, Johnson said. It should arrive Monday. The portable unit operates like a metal detector: The operator wears headphones and listens for the sound of a signal from the device, placed on the end of a long pole that’s submerged in the water.

The use of the device is not assured. It takes a two-hour boat ride from Petersburg to get to the search area, Johnson said, and high seas aren’t suppose to abate until a “very narrow window" of decent weather currently forecast for later next week.

“Nothing is set in stone, but we’re looking at the next weather window to be able to get down there with probably two of our investigators,” he said.

Alaska State Troopers said Friday afternoon that they have opened a missing persons case on the three people in the plane but are not currently attempting to look for the crew.

The Coast Guard conducted an intensive search involving multiple vessels with help from numerous agencies including troopers for three days, spokeswoman Megan Peters said.

It’s possible troopers could assist National Transportation Safety Board investigators if weather and resources allow, Peters said.

“We know this is a horribly emotional time for the families, and also the friends and the co-workers,” she said. “We’ll do what we can, but also have to look at what’s already been done.”

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sad deal. Those folks though, want us to honor them and all first responders and troop on!

Thoughts, prayers and condolences to the family and friends, a true tragedy!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I am hearing letters have been sent to Bush medical folks reminding them that once the threshold for a medivac flight has been reached they should call just the one time. Pilots and crew are not told the nature of the problem or who is involved, ie, women, children, etc. As it can put pressure on them to attempt things the weather will not allow. Obviously they have clues, but they do not want them making worse decisions due to the nature of the problem...

Very sad...

I'm not seeing how that is feasible.

When I flew medevac out of Bethel years ago, we got all of the patient information and condition for a good reason... We needed to prep the aircraft with the correct equipment. Also, the medics needed what to be ready for, much like information given to any ambulance called to a medical emergency on the road.

We had patients that attempted suicide with medication... we needed to know what medication so that the medics could bring the right treatment
Another was a premature birth- we needed to bring an incubator.
There was a boat accident with a very large man who exceeded the hoist capacity of our helicopter (when added to hoist rider and gear) We needed to be prepared to rig a short-haul using ropes ahead of the launch (takes 2 minutes on ground to rig, but not the kind of gear we would carry all the time on the aircraft).

Many other examples, but you get the gist.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I am hearing letters have been sent to Bush medical folks reminding them that once the threshold for a medivac flight has been reached they should call just the one time. Pilots and crew are not told the nature of the problem or who is involved, ie, women, children, etc. As it can put pressure on them to attempt things the weather will not allow. Obviously they have clues, but they do not want them making worse decisions due to the nature of the problem...

Very sad...

I'm not seeing how that is feasible.

When I flew medevac out of Bethel years ago, we got all of the patient information and condition for a good reason... We needed to prep the aircraft with the correct equipment. Also, the medics needed what to be ready for, much like information given to any ambulance called to a medical emergency on the road.

We had patients that attempted suicide with medication... we needed to know what medication so that the medics could bring the right treatment
Another was a premature birth- we needed to bring an incubator.
There was a boat accident with a very large man who exceeded the hoist capacity of our helicopter (when added to hoist rider and gear) We needed to be prepared to rig a short-haul using ropes ahead of the launch (takes 2 minutes on ground to rig, but not the kind of gear we would carry all the time on the aircraft).

Many other examples, but you get the gist.

I do, and the point I believe is that the pilot only needs to know what he needs to know for those purposes and the medics need to know what they need to know for medical stuff. I will see if I can get a copy of the letter for you. It is from your old stomping ground.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They are looking for a boat right now to look for pings of the plane. Had to pass but I hope they find it to get some closure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very sad news.
Prayers for the families, friends and hope for a blessing of life.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Calvin
They are looking for a boat right now to look for pings of the plane. Had to pass but I hope they find it to get some closure.

Rough time of year to count on weather to allow a search like that. The Kake SAR boat would suffice though. It's a Coldwater, 32' as I recall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had spoken to one of their people in Anchorage about a week ago about a problem they were having with one of their jets. Very sad deal.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Prayers lifted for all involved. 15 years of rural EMS. Many call outs for a helicopters and air docs / air nurses. Damn allergies...

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I only flew medevac for two years....

but it is tough when emergency responders in remote areas like Alaska, have a flight go down with
the crew, and patient all lost in the crash....

it certainly takes a real dedication to what you are doing...

prayers for the deceased and prayers for their families and the community.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.