Print Thread
Hop To
G
gene270 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
can anybody comment on the friction forged knives from knives of alaska.....the good or bad

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Meah...

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Friction forging has been a round for a while now. I don't see evidence of it being anything special.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It is a lot of money for an ugly knife. Buy a quality custom, and pocket the rest of your money.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I guess I’ll be the dissenting view as I have carried one for eight or nine years now. Mine is not one of the Knives of Alaska but from their other company “Diamond Blades.” The model name is “The Summit” and is a full-tanged drop point with carbon fiber scales. It came to me wicked-sharp and I was curious to find if their claim of “multiple animals dressed” would be correct. I can say that it was and is.
It took apart three Caribou, two Moose, and a trio of Black Bear. I sent it back to them off-season for sharpening as they only charged $25 to do the task. It came back perfect. It is still sharp with two more Moose, another Black Bear and a BlackTail Deer taken apart now.

The knife fits my hand perfectly, gives a great grip if wet with water, blood or fat. I keep it clean and dry and oil the blade when in storage. It’s not difficult to take care of even in Alaskan weather. No more so than any non-stainless knife.

I always take three knives with me to the field and keep a Helle Eggen in my backpack and a larger Alden in camp. Both are old veterans but I carry the Summit on my belt with due confidence.

The Summit

I see that they only offer the carbon fiber scales in a folder model now. The linked black micarta pictured is the same blade and grip profile as mine and shares the same decorative cross pins...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sure is an ugly grind line on those knives. For that money I would expect better.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MOGC
Sure is an ugly grind line on those knives. For that money I would expect better.

smile smile smile smile

It is over priced trash all around. For that money one could buy a beautiful, well made, well balanced custom knife from a reputable maker and still have cash left in their pocket. Or go really high end custom and break even. But hell I don't know chit about knives.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I value your opinion. What works for one is fine. Let us know when you start making knives. I’m always looking for another good one. Price is not a limiting factor to my wallet...

*** my Grandaughters

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
I value your opinion. What works for one is fine. Let us know when you start making knives. I’m always looking for another good one. Price is not a limiting factor to my wallet...

OH...nicely done Sir!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I guess I’ll be the dissenting view as I have carried one for eight or nine years now. Mine is not one of the Knives of Alaska but from their other company “Diamond Blades.” The model name is “The Summit” and is a full-tanged drop point with carbon fiber scales. It came to me wicked-sharp and I was curious to find if their claim of “multiple animals dressed” would be correct. I can say that it was and is.
It took apart three Caribou, two Moose, and a trio of Black Bear. I sent it back to them off-season for sharpening as they only charged $25 to do the task. It came back perfect. It is still sharp with two more Moose, another Black Bear and a BlackTail Deer taken apart now.

The knife fits my hand perfectly, gives a great grip if wet with water, blood or fat. I keep it clean and dry and oil the blade when in storage. It’s not difficult to take care of even in Alaskan weather. No more so than any non-stainless knife.

I always take three knives with me to the field and keep a Helle Eggen in my backpack and a larger Alden in camp. Both are old veterans but I carry the Summit on my belt with due confidence.

The Summit

I see that they only offer the carbon fiber scales in a folder model now. The linked black micarta pictured is the same blade and grip profile as mine and shares the same decorative cross pins...

Sounds like a pretty solid trial, not many blades could work up that many critters without being sharpened....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I have no time or desire to make knives. I work with metals and composites all day. Last thing I want to do when I get home is to bring work home with me. Last time I checked Friction Forged blades haven't been winning knife cutting competitions. If there were validity to the claims everyone would be hopping on that bandwagon. What you spend your money on is your business. But when people post on forums looking for opinions and answers they get them. From all sides whether they like the answer or not.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm sure they work well, but there are also other options that work equally well and maybe even better. A lot of those options will also have better fit, finish, and grinds

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I have no time or desire to make knives. I work with metals and composites all day. Last thing I want to do when I get home is to bring work home with me. Last time I checked Friction Forged blades haven't been winning knife cutting competitions. If there were validity to the claims everyone would be hopping on that bandwagon. What you spend your money on is your business. But when people post on forums looking for opinions and answers they get them. From all sides whether they like the answer or not.

...and you sir have fulfilled the “spirit” of the op’s original post. Haven’t ever used one, have you? So your opinion is based on “feelings” and not practical use? Meh.... Pity that...

*** my Grandaughters

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When they first advertised the friction forged blades it sounded like it could be a good thing.
The process was to put a lot of pressure on D2 blank in a manner similar to rolling it with a bearing
at very high pressure and therefore getting a super performing blade.

I was tempted to buy one, but never did and eventually I stopped seeing them advertised.
My assumption was that it was under whelming to the customers and kinda went by the wayside.
Apparently KOA now owns the technology.

Sounds like it could work and the above testimony of an owner/ user gave a good rating on performance soooooo.......

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 02/18/19.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

...and you sir have fulfilled the “spirit” of the op’s original post. Haven’t ever used one, have you? So your opinion is based on “feelings” and not practical use? Meh.... Pity that...

You took a guess! You had a 50/50 chance at getting it right. But unfortunately you didn't. It performed no different than any other D2 that was properly heat treated. I'll pass all around its a no go for me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,079
Posts18,463,865
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.