Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Junior walks in the house carrying a box, He bought his first firearm today.....

I almost fell over with surprise, anyway,

I've little knowledge of the 'Black Rifles', Don't own one and never really looked into them.

So, whats the story on a Bushmaster MX15 minimalist .223 with 16 inch barrel?

He'll need mounts and optic suggestions.

TIA.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ARs are addicting, tons of options, AR15.com and Utube

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 66niteowl
AR15.com

Thank you for that.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I love the JP mount.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
For general purposes, start with a low power variable optic. There's a couple recent threads on these.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watch out for the rabbit hole.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Originally Posted by RiverRider
Watch out for the rabbit hole.

Yea, my first AR was a Bushmaster XM-15. The only original parts left on it are the lower receiver and lower parts kit, minus the trigger.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Yea, my first AR was a Bushmaster XM-15. The only original parts left on it are the lower receiver and lower parts kit, minus the trigger.

You like upgrades or the OEM parts weren't the best?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Kenneth

You like upgrades or the OEM parts weren't the best?

Bushmaster put together a good rifle, but I wanted to play tinkertoys.

In no particular order, I changed out the A2 but stock for a collapsible, got rid of the mils spec trigger, upgraded the barrels, and changed the handguard out for one that would allow attachments. Upgraded buffer and buffer spring, and changed over to a full auto style BCG.

And then I built a second upper for it, one of which still used the original BCG. And the original barrels, well, it got rebuilt into another upper as well....but that is the way of us afflicted with the AR sickness.....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
but I wanted to play tinkertoys. but that is the way of us afflicted with the AR sickness.....

Isn't that the truth! I have boxes of parts. Always looking to snap together something new. It is what makes the AR so much fun.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One of my first AR's was a Bushmaster XM15. I kind of miss it. I sold it last year during a rough patch in life. I damned near almost bought another Bushmaster just a few weeks ago. Speaking of "tinkertoys", mine had a stag 6HL upper and some bells and whistles. It was a pretty good shooter too:

[Linked Image]

Never had a single hiccup with this one.. In the pic above, is the kind of mount I run. That would be my suggestion, or the Leupold Mark 2 IMS. Both of these mounts can be found for under $100.00. If he wants to spend more money and is looking for a detachable set-up, something like the American Defense Recon is hard to beat:

[Linked Image]

I'm not going to suggest power range, as that is highly subjective and should be left up to the individual. Personally, I have absolutely no problem using a 3-9x40 or 4.5-14, but I like more magnification. Some do, some don't... However, with that being said, on the lower side of the magnification scale, I'd lean towards something like an eotech. Again, just personal bias here, that sounds like it's either "all or nothing" and no in-between, but there it is... wink Truthfully, the nice thing about optics is, they make one for everyone now days. A lot of great options out there..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any interest in a red dot type on a '15?

Where's the downside of a Sig Romeo 5 on a '15?

Good for a 100 yards or more?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BSA
I'm not going to suggest power range, as that is highly subjective and should be left up to the individual. Personally, I have absolutely no problem using a 3-9x40 or 4.5-14, but I like more magnification. Some do, some don't... However, with that being said, on the lower side of the magnification scale, I'd lean towards something like an eotech.

BSA,

Nothing wrong with some magnification on an AR. As I mentioned above I have two uppers for the Bushmaster. Both have Leupold Mark AR's, one in 1.5-4x and the other is a 4-12.

My 22" 6x45 mounts a 4.5x14, so when I build out the 16" sitting in the safe it will probably get a low power variable.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a relative newbie to the AR. That said, the first mistake I made was trying to encompass too-wide a range of use for my skills. At this point I can't own a do-all rifle. If I approach the AR as a '200-yards and in' rifle or a '200 yard and out' rifle that works for me. Any wider range than that and me and the rifle won't perform at one end or the other.

Another thing I learned is that for my uses the AR shines set-up for 200 yards and in. At longer ranges there a better choices.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
but I wanted to play tinkertoys. but that is the way of us afflicted with the AR sickness.....

Isn't that the truth! I have boxes of parts. Always looking to snap together something new. It is what makes the AR so much fun.

Legos for Loonies, right?

The first several ARs I had went unmolested but were sold off when I got bored with them. Bored, most likely, because of limited utility, and that I attribute to poor ergonomics and function (for MY purposes, at least) that comes with the carry handle.

Then came the day that I had acquired another of the same type by buying an upper and a lower assembly at a gunshow. After some time I found myself bored with it but ran across someone who wanted to trade his flat-top upper for my carry-handle upper. That changed things up a bit. Once I had a flat-top upper, different scope mounts, handguards, and aftermarket triggers became items of interest.

After that I somehow acquired an extra upper assembly. At first I thought I'd just switch out uppers when the mood struck me, but what struck me was this irresistible urge to put that spare upper on another lower. I further compounded the error by buying a stripped lower to build. That's when all hell began to break loose and it's been all downhill from there.

I gotta get back on a hunting lease soon. I think a couple dozen outings per year would keep me too busy to build more stuff. Probably cheaper, too.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Any interest in a red dot type on a '15?

Where's the downside of a Sig Romeo 5 on a '15?

Good for a 100 yards or more?

Yeah, the eotech I mentioned is a "red dot" type of sight. I actually really liked it for its intended purpose. Not the best for shooting groups, but it worked very well on clay pigeon sized targets at 100... The nice thing about a red dot type sight is it offers extremely quick target acquisition, which is never a bad thing, especially up close and personal...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BSA
I'm not going to suggest power range, as that is highly subjective and should be left up to the individual. Personally, I have absolutely no problem using a 3-9x40 or 4.5-14, but I like more magnification. Some do, some don't... However, with that being said, on the lower side of the magnification scale, I'd lean towards something like an eotech.

BSA,

Nothing wrong with some magnification on an AR. As I mentioned above I have two uppers for the Bushmaster. Both have Leupold Mark AR's, one in 1.5-4x and the other is a 4-12.

My 22" 6x45 mounts a 4.5x14, so when I build out the 16" sitting in the safe it will probably get a low power variable.

Sounds like a good plan... Remember I'm still new to this AR chit. I like shooting at 100 and further and the higher mag scopes work better for me in that regard. My eyes suck too grin . I don't know how much more I'll shy away from my comfort zone and change things up a bit. However, I damn near bought a light rifle, set up for 3 gun,a few months back that had a sig romeo 4 on it. That rifle was pretty sweet, but different than what I'm used to. I kind of regret not buying it....

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JOG
I'm a relative newbie to the AR. That said, the first mistake I made was trying to encompass too-wide a range of use for my skills. At this point I can't own a do-all rifle. If I approach the AR as a '200-yards and in' rifle or a '200 yard and out' rifle that works for me. Any wider range than that and me and the rifle won't perform at one end or the other.

Another thing I learned is that for my uses the AR shines set-up for 200 yards and in. At longer ranges there a better choices.

The AR's are fun to shoot at longer range too. Well, at least my AR10 is. I've shot .6 moa 5 shot groups at 400 yards with my Armalite AR10T, and wouldn't be afraid to stretch its legs further yet..

This is just a 3 shot group, but you get the idea that it is fully capable:
[Linked Image]

One I'd be very hard pressed to ever get rid of:
[Linked Image]

Shooting these AR's at long range is a damn blast.....

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Legos for Loonies, right?

The first several ARs I had went unmolested but were sold off when I got bored with them. Bored, most likely, because of limited utility, and that I attribute to poor ergonomics and function (for MY purposes, at least) that comes with the carry handle.

Then came the day that I had acquired another of the same type by buying an upper and a lower assembly at a gunshow. After some time I found myself bored with it but ran across someone who wanted to trade his flat-top upper for my carry-handle upper. That changed things up a bit. Once I had a flat-top upper, different scope mounts, handguards, and aftermarket triggers became items of interest.

After that I somehow acquired an extra upper assembly. At first I thought I'd just switch out uppers when the mood struck me, but what struck me was this irresistible urge to put that spare upper on another lower. I further compounded the error by buying a stripped lower to build. That's when all hell began to break loose and it's been all downhill from there.

I gotta get back on a hunting lease soon. I think a couple dozen outings per year would keep me too busy to build more stuff. Probably cheaper, too.

In my opinion the reason the AR is so popular is because anyone and everyone can tinker with it. Even if you screw up a part or two it is cheap. There are no big and expensive tools needed. One can go from plain Jane basic to Tactical Mall Ninja wild! To me they are fun to play with and shoot.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Scope and mounts?

SWFA SSALT mount
SWFA "SS Classic" fixed power scope....6x, 10x, or 12x......just depends on his intended use.

Complete setup for under $400....

BSA.....nice 6....grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 204guy, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,743
Posts18,457,713
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.