-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never quite figured out why a guy would buy a maker's best grade of barrel, handlapped and checked for straightness, have it installed by a good gunsmith who I would think would check for burrs and smooth out his work and sharp edges, and use well prepped loads in said well prepared, polished, and lapped barrel- and think it needs to be further broken in?

I can see it in a factory assembly line barrel where they are cut, drilled, and the rifling gouged out with a hydraulicly pulled rod , leaving lots of microscopic burrs and voids. A bit of polishing might be due in that case, along with filling some of those microscopic machining voids with gilding metal in order to create the illusion of a smooth surface, but isn't the point of having a premium barrel to avoid some of the inconsistencies and mass produced issues of factory arms?

Just my 2 cent's worth- I'll get my nomex underwear on now and pick up some popcorn while I'm at it..... wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've never quite figured out why a guy would buy a maker's best grade of barrel, handlapped and checked for straightness, have it installed by a good gunsmith who I would think would check for burrs and smooth out his work and sharp edges, and use well prepped loads in said well prepared, polished, and lapped barrel- and think it needs to be further broken in?

I can see it in a factory assembly line barrel where they are cut, drilled, and the rifling gouged out with a hydraulicly pulled rod , leaving lots of microscopic burrs and voids. A bit of polishing might be due in that case, along with filling some of those microscopic machining voids with gilding metal in order to create the illusion of a smooth surface, but isn't the point of having a premium barrel to avoid some of the inconsistencies and mass produced issues of factory arms?

Just my 2 cent's worth- I'll get my nomex underwear on now and pick up some popcorn while I'm at it..... wink

Bob

Sounds about right Bob. By the way, how's the weather out your way?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sheister

Bob

As George Gardner says it's not break in, more like seasoning. Watch the video it make make sense to you.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to follow a break-in procedure like Krieger barrels recommends. Once I moved to AK and lost access to private ranges where I had the time to clean between shots I quit doing it. I can't tell if I get any more fouling than I did following a break-in procedure, but I'm not shooting competitive either.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
“Break in” procedures are self abasement.

Load, shoot, repeat.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
In my experience there isn't a one method fits all. There are way to many variables to consider.....Design/method of rifling, quality of cutter, button or mandrel, quality of steel etc. etc.

There are several different techniques used for rifling a barrel - cut, button & hammer forged being the most common, and numerous rifling designs such as 5R, polygonal, 3 groove, 4 groove, 6 groove etc. A "break in" technique or method often suggested by a manufacturer for one type of rifling (Krieger cut for example) may be different for another manufacturer or type of rifling (Lilja button for example).

In my experience cut rifled barrels (even those hand lapped and produced from top quality barrel manufacturers like Krieger & Bartlein) require quite a bit more "break in" and shots before fouling is in check and top accuracy is achieved.

Button rifling and hammer forged rifling generally don't require the amount of break in or shots fired before fouling is in check and top accuracy is achieved. This too depends on a lot of variables including condition of the button or mandrel.

Using a good borescope goes a long way in determining bore condition and when break in or cleaning is needed..

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I run a patch with Hoppe’s No. 9 through the barrel of a new gun and head to the range. Do my best to allow the barrel to cool down a bit between shots (also try not to heat up the barrel on my ‘older’ guns).

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only barrel I ever broke in was the $249 Vanguard I bought last year. Did it to avoid warranty issues in case of accuracy problems, and maybe just to gave the experience. Boring!

My two favorite writers disagree on this. JB seems to think it's unnecessary; Brian Pearce seems to do it quite a bit, and from his articles, I'd say that it at least may speed up the break-in that ordinarily occurs with normal use.

Take your pick. As a lazy old fat man, I'm siding with Mule Deer, unless the maker if an expensive rifle insists on it as part of their warranty. Thankfully, Barrett doesn't.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I pretty much do it as George Gardner describes in the video above.
Side note and somewhat unrelated - I've never met George but after watching enough videos featuring him, I'm pretty sure I could be fast friends with him - very pragmatic and unassuming.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Barrel break in - does 2 things accuracywise - and the 3rd impacts cleaning

1) is smoothes the machining marks if the barrel wasn’t lapped.

2) it leaves some copper which normalizes how bullets shoot (note changing bullets that have different types of copper jackets will push the barrel into shooting wierd until the new copper is more coated...

3) Cleaning - smoothing the bore by shooting it.... of course makes it easier to clean.

- Considering all 3 - cleaning while shooting the first so many shots (breakin) gives you a more consistent smoothing & copper coating (no powder junk) so it’s beneficial to cleaning, and performance..... But if it’s lapped... you won’t need it as much.

SO - Breaking depends on what your shooting - at the end of the day if you are an accuracy nut - barrels “settle” down fairly fast, but really start performaing after 150 rounds.
for your typically field shooter the first 5-10, at worst 25 shots do it....

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I just bought a brand new, high quality rifle. What is the best way to “break in” the barrel? Thank you for any experienced feedback.

Wipe the bore clean first...then go shoot it.

Till you're done.

Then you can clean the bore again if its something you feel strongly about.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
I just bought a brand new, high quality rifle. What is the best way to “break in” the barrel? Thank you for any experienced feedback.

Till you're done.

Like it. I feel break-in is a waste of time and effort.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It all depends on if you goal is minute of a dime , or minute of a pig , accuracy.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Today's manufacturing procedures, along with more consistent steel manufacturing processes, and add to this, much cleaner burning powders, had made barrel breakin's more of a thing of the past, but that doesn't mean its not a good idea, especially for those big bores, burning lots of slow powder.

This like the Chevy / Ford arguments, men will do what ever they were told first and foremost !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
1. Clean bore
2. Get on paper
3. Shoot groups

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I tried the break in theory on one gun and just spent a lot of time doing it. If it shot better afterwards, I couldn’t tell.

Exactly. How could you tell, what would you be comparing it to?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe

Till you're done.

Originally Posted by lotech
1. Clean bore
2. Get on paper
3. Shoot groups

Just curious, not referring to a full on cleaning but do you guys pull a bird snake through from time to time?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
[quote=MontanaCreekHunter]According to George @ Gap fire 1 round clean, fire 1 round clean. Shoot 3 shot group clean. Your barrel is now seasoned. Clean every 500 rounds.

I've done this, but I won't wait 500 rds before I clean it again, ha. I try to clean every 20-30 rds or so.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never seen the difference..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[/quote]
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I've never seen the difference..

Totally agree. Just go shoot the damn thing! If the groups start opening up, then clean them. All my rifles have been great-shooters and I have never done a "procedure", for break in.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.