Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Originally Posted by Terryk
90K was the miles to change the timing belt on my 4.7.

Does anyone know what year. Switched from timing belt to timing chain ?

My 2006 Tundra had a chain.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Folding hard tonneau cover suggestions ???

I would suggest not getting a folding hard cover. You lose a lot of space because it doesn't really fold up. I've had a few tonneau's and I really can't stand them. But a topper now is $2k and I'm not payin that.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Extang Trifecta.

Easy install, easy removal. Folds up completely against back glass for entire open bed area. Locks down securely for what it is. Especially if you have a locking tailgate.
Not perfect security, as a knife can cut it open, but it will keep gear out of the elements and under wraps.

I used one on and off for years, then finally broke down and bought a custom ARE topper. Wish I had done that move sooner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tundra 2000-2004 V6 Belt
2000-2009 4.7 V8 Belt
2005-2014 V6 Chain
2007-2014 5.7 V8 Chain
2010-2014 4.6 V8 Chain

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7690/~/does-my-vehicle-have-a-timing-belt-or-timing-chain%3F

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tzone

5.7 or 4.7 ?

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

5.7 or 4.7 ?

The motor 2 was 4.7. The 5.7 was not available in 2006

Last edited by tzone; 03/29/19.

S
S
Originally Posted by WTM45

Extang Trifecta.

Easy install, easy removal. Folds up completely against back glass for entire open bed area. Locks down securely for what it is. Especially if you have a locking tailgate.
Not perfect security, as a knife can cut it open, but it will keep gear out of the elements and under wraps.

I used one on and off for years, then finally broke down and bought a custom ARE topper. Wish I had done that move sooner.

I went from a 2002 Tundra (4.7 w/belt) with a canopy to a 2010 Tundra with a tri-fold hard tonneau cover. I thought for sure I was going to have to buy another canopy but to my surprise I actually like the tri-fold. Seems I haul larger items more often now as I only have to fold the tri-fold up and not have to take the canopy off like before. I am very happy with the tri-fold. Everything is secure and dry.
Some times I wish I had a canopy again but not enough to drop the cash for another one.

Last edited by Swampr42; 04/27/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When buying a used Tacoma/Tundra do you look for a Certified Used one or doesn't it matter?

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
When buying a used Tacoma/Tundra do you look for a Certified Used one or doesn't it matter?

I bought a 2009 Certified preowned Tacoma ....a week after buying it , I had the rear wheel bearing replaced. A year after I had it , the door was scratched , I bought touch up paint from the toyo dealer using the paint code on the door. It didn't come close to matching. I have a good relationship with my local Toyo dealer and he agreed that it was in an accident. That was never disclosed on the Carfax or any documentation the dealer provided. Incidentally the truck was not purchased at my local Toyo dealer but at a scumbag dealership located in Charlotte .

I traded it in and got what I paid for it originally a year later . My advice is to buy it from a Toyota dealer and have a outside mechanic go over it before you sign on the dotted line.

I have had 3 Tacomas and One Tundra 2017... I now have a 2006 Tacoma 4.0 6spd. Tundra is a nicer riding truck but gets horrendous gas mileage. The Tacoma quite frankly does not do a whole lot better.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I would suggest not getting a folding hard cover. You lose a lot of space because it doesn't really fold up. I've had a few tonneau's and I really can't stand them. But a topper now is $2k and I'm not payin that.

There is nothing I like about a folding tonneau cover or a fixed ARE cover. One does not fold completely out of the way, the ARE is a answer to a question never asked. Suppose you are out and about and you need an open Truck bed. ARe you to prop up the ARE or emoved it to fit the tall object?

I have purchased rollip tonneau covers and never had an issue.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a Tacoma 4 door v6 (4 liter) like you mentioned.

If you get an e-locker (off road version) they can have problems with the back end...
Other than that I had to replace my front wheel bearings.

I have 186,000 on it now, it’s a 2007 and keeps on ticking with no problems that stop it dead (I drove with bad wheel bearings /differential until I realized they were bad).
Gas mileage is 13-18 normally, if you stay below 63 you can get as much as 22 mpg.

Toyota unlike ford will fix what’s bad with the truck... they replaced my FRAME... (yeah the entire frame) because they had a bad bunch of frames and it rusted...

Frankly I use my truck ALOT so it’s been rode hard, and keeps on ticking.

Note - Costco has the best method of buying a toyota, you’ll get static pricing that’s close to dealer... it’s the only way to fly.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bought my 07 4X4 DC TRD Tacoma new 12 years ago next month. It'll roll over onto 200,000 miles in a couple of weeks. So far I've replaced the alternator, shocks, and the HVAC motor. Other than that it has just been tires, brakes, battery and fluids. Best truck I've ever owned.

But it is small with limited towing and hauling capability. I waited until my kids were grown and out of the house to go to a smaller truck. It did fine until 3 years ago. I now have 4 grandkids ranging from 11 down to 1. We needed a bigger truck. We kept the Tacoma and I bought a 2 year old 2014 F150 crew cab in 2016. The Tacoma was worth more to me than I would have gotten in trade. While they are great trucks make sure you can get by with one that small.

Another thing to at least think about. Toyota redesigned the Tacoma in 2015 (I think) and replaced the 4.0 with a 3.5 engine. There are more than a few complaints about the newer 3rd generation Tacomas.

The last long road trip from GA to the Grand Canyon, up through southern Utah and back across Colorado to GA netted me 20.0 mpg average for the trip. I got as much as 23 on one tank to as little as 15-16 on others depending on the terrain. Made a similar 4100 mile road trip with the F150 about a month ago and got 19.3 overall. Fuel mileage isn't that much different and the Ford will haul and tow a LOT more than the Tacoma.

I looked hard at Tundra's 3 years ago, but on the used market simply couldn't find one that checked off all the boxes at a price I'd pay. The Ford I bought did, or I'd have bought a Tundra. But 3 years, and 50,000 miles into the Ford I don't have any regrets. The Tundra will get 2-3 mpg worse than Ford or Tacoma. But that ain't as big a deal as some make it out to be. It comes up to about 7-8 gallons more fuel to drive 1000 miles. That would have been about one more tank of fuel to complete my 4100 mile road trip last month.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I use an Extang solid fold on my Tundra. I like it. No extra hardware like rails or brackets to install. If you need the whole bed open the entire cover comes off (and goes back on) very easily. Your Tundra has a locking tail gate, so any tonneau that needs the gate open to unlatch cover is effectively a locking cover.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I have two Taco's.......

used these soft roll up type......really handy

budget priced....work well.....clean up nicely

https://gatorcovers.com/c/tonneau-covers/roll-up/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[/quote] I looked hard at Tundra's 3 years ago, but on the used market simply couldn't find one that checked off all the boxes at a price I'd pay. The Ford I bought did, or I'd have bought a Tundra. But 3 years, and 50,000 miles into the Ford I don't have any regrets. The Tundra will get 2-3 mpg worse than Ford or Tacoma. But that ain't as big a deal as some make it out to be. It comes up to about 7-8 gallons more fuel to drive 1000 miles. That would have been about one more tank of fuel to complete my 4100 mile road trip last month. [/quote]

My tundra got a little over 15 1/2 MPG HIgh way miles on 2 road trips this year . I paid roughly 160 bucks each roundtrip one to Florida and the other to Alabama. The highest MPG I ever got with it was 18mpg . My tacoma gets 17-18 all the time. The F150 I had with a 3.5 ecoboost got 19-21 mpg depending on the ratio of city/highway. It was significantly better then the Tundra fuel wise. Reliability was a disaster as it was bought back from Ford. Resale value on the Tundra is very very strong. I am glad Ford bought back the F150.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well I pulled the trigger and picked up a super clean 07 Tundra double cab with 4.7 ,TRD ,SR5 package low miles (89K) ,anything I should be aware of or do ?
Also looking to put a tonneau cover on it ,I would like it to be lockable but don't want a fiberglass one ,any suggestions?

Can I ask ??? How much $$$ for a TRD with 89K ? I'm looking for the same thing....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No experience myself, but a guy I know bought a "Undercover" brand tonneau because he wanted a strong cover that woundn't be damaged if somebody climbed on it.

Note that this model particular model isn't folding, but apparently it is not difficult to remove, and the price seems quite low. The same company DOES make folding tonneau models too. Undercover LINK to all models

LINK to one piece model (only about 1000 bucks)

I visited the webpage link he sent me, and I imagine these are the pictures that convinced him. : wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I haven't visited him yet to look at it myself, but he's happy.

John

Last edited by jpb; 07/09/19.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mikieb
Well I pulled the trigger and picked up a super clean 07 Tundra double cab with 4.7 ,TRD ,SR5 package low miles (89K) ,anything I should be aware of or do ?
Also looking to put a tonneau cover on it ,I would like it to be lockable but don't want a fiberglass one ,any suggestions?

Can I ask ??? How much $$$ for a TRD with 89K ? I'm looking for the same thing....

these ads.....closest thing I could find......all others had many more miles......

Tundra & Tacoma's are very popular here in Utah......

for detailed search use zip 84111 or 84601 (Provo)

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/5636349?ad_cid=15

[img]https://img.ksl.com/mx/mplace-cars.ksl.com/1814577-1559845872-862494.jpeg?filter=marketplace/664x500[/img]

Last edited by tikkanut; 07/09/19.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have a '12 tacoma off road short box. Has 166K on it. Bought it because I got tired of taking a beating on the big 3 with resale/trade. Most miles I ever put on a truck but my business has me traveling a couple days a week 100-200 miles per day, so I bought the tacoma knowing I would put on more miles (for me) and knew it would last. Parking, maneuvering on/off road, etc much better than a full size.
Replaced front wheel bearings on both, had some air compressor valve or what ever it was replaced and then fought with toyota for a year to get reimbursed since there was a recall a month later ($1000 repair). They finally made good after getting my birth certificate, sex orientation, finger prints, hat size, and pictures of my dogs that ride in the truck. Other than that it has been a good truck that I'll probably keep another year or 3.
Thinking of going back to a full size though, but if I get another tacoma, long box for sure. Or I may just keep this one indefinitely as a beater, run the nuts off it and lease a full size as my "good" truck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

Try finding one on the west coast. WA, OR, Nevada. It won't be all rusted to hell.... I have an 04' Tacoma double cab and a 00' Tundra. Both are rust free and will last me the rest of my lifetime with proper preventative maintenance:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When I first got my Tundra, I figured I'd sell the Taco, but later changed my mind when I found out the Tundra actually does better on fuel than the Taco. On a recent trip to Reno, I averaged 19 mpg with the Tundra. On a good day, the Taco only gets 18 on the freeway. And the wind better be in my favor to do that. However, the Taco has its strong points. It's excellent for those tight roads and goat trails when getting to my favorite hunting spots. The Tundra beats the hell out of the Taco for hauling and towing stuff though. I will keep both trucks, as they will last a looooooong time: The main reason for buying Toyota pickups. I have a buddy that has owned a 98 TRD extended cab, since it was new, and has not even changed the original brakes yet. Although, he's done all the required upkeep to it and it still runs like a champ. Why throw money at Ford or Chevy or Dodge, when you can own a truck that isn't going to nickel and dime you to death?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.