Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
This question is strictly about RELIABILITY/LONGEVITY between the two , looking in the used market between the Tacoma V6 auto 4 door cab and Tundra V8 auto 4 door cab , I'm well aware of the obvious room / fuel economy/power differences , I have a current 2001 with 4cyl 5 speed 280k runs strong just need more room, this is going to be primarily a weekend driver also any age ranges better than others ?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have had both. If you need the room go for the tundra gets decent miles on open road not so great around town. If you can get away with a little smaller the tacoma double cab is tough to beat . I have 2015
limited. I have had 5 Tacomas and 1 tundra . The resale value on the tacoma is so high that with the low financing available you might as well buy a new tacoma. I would get the double cab long bed.
Hope I helped.............

Last edited by TOPCATHR; 02/10/19. Reason: left out info
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I own a 08 Tundra bought new, and have a lot of experience with the 4.0 V6 in the current 4Runner and previously in the Tacoma. My hunting buddy has the Tacoma with the 3.5 V6. My experience is based on this.

The Tundra has been the best truck I've ever owned. The only non-wear and tear issues I've had have been a water pump around 80K and a starter around 90K.I will say that I've done a LOT of short trips over the years, so that could be a factor in the somewhat early starter replacement. The water pump wasn't a huge deal, but the starter was like $1400 to change (!). That is a known problem with the 5.7 V8; i.e. super expensive starter replacements. Otherwise that's it. The 5.7 is a top of the line engine from Toyota, as it also goes into the $85K Land Cruiser, and is built to last. From what I see, the 3.5 has not been as reliable as the older 4.0, not to mention the 3.5 doesn't seem to have the grunt of the 4.0 (I've driven both a bunch). My buddy has a 2016, and it has been in the shop multiple times since new. It seems to run ok now, but it looks like Toyota had some issues with the 3.5 when they first came out.

If you're going to go used, I had a 1st gen Tundra with the 4.7 V8, and that was super reliable. No problems at all. The 5.7 has way more power and is much more truck, IMO. For a used Tacoma, I'd go with a 4.0 vs the 3.5.

Because Toyotas hold their value so well, for me it has been better to buy new, run them 10-15 years, maintain them well, and get good money when I sell them.

Good luck in your search.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For what it’s worth, I have a 2011 Tundra with the 5.7 engine. It has 160,000 miles on it. I have towed an 8000 pound trailer from Montana to Southern California to Fairbanks, Ak and back to Montana, and to Bella Coola, BC, and back and forth to the Olympic Penninsula. Shook the plates loose in three batteries in a row.
Repairs to this date are a set of rear brakes, a windshield or two and a set of windshield wipers. The truck is starting to develope a minor rattle or two. At 125,000 it was tighter than our brand new 2014 3/4 ton Ford.
Mileage has ranged from 8 mpg towing into a headwind, to 19 on level roads driving 60. Highway mileage is usually 17. That seems to drastically improve, up to about 19 when I get gas south of Montana.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had a 2007 Tacoma, extended cab 4WD with the 4.0 V-6 and 6-speed manual transmission, We sold it a few years ago with 248,00 miles on the odometer. Other than normal service, the only thing we had done was to replace the middle U-Joint in the rear drive shaft.

We bought a 2012 Tundra with the 5.7 engine and auto transmission which will probably turn 200,000 on the odometer in a week or two. So far, we've done nothing but the routine maintenance. We have used it to pull a 16-ft double axle flat bed for our Polaris Ranger throughout the Rockies. We loaded the truck and the trailer with all the appliances and furniture that they would hold, and my wife drove it up to southwest Wisconsin for one of her friends. Both of us have put a lot of off-road miles on it in some pretty rough and rocky parts of the west.

My wife now wants a new 4WD Tacoma all to herself, but I will be driving the Tundra for at least another 100K or more.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are people out there who have driven both over 1 million miles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1+m...008j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?ei=bI...i30j0i8i30j33i22i29i30j33i10.522HHmIFaco

The Tundra had all major original parts when Toyota gave the guy a new one. The transmission needed work at 700,000 miles, but was not replaced.

The guy driving the Tacoma needed a head gasket at 880,000 miles. Technically the engine was otherwise still OK, but he bought one from a scrapyard with 100,000 miles on it and just replaced the engine instead of reparing the one with almost 900,000 miles on it. The current engine has over 300,000 miles on it now including the 100,000 on it when installed.

And FWIW he does 10,000 mile oil changes. The original plugs were replaced at 700,000 miles and the transmission had its 1st service at 400,000. It is still going after 1.2 million miles.

My brother has an 06 Tundra, I have an 07 Tacoma. Both are right near 200,000 miles and neither of us have had any major issues. The 06 and older Tundra's have timing belts that need to be replaced at 100,000 miles. It isn't a cheap job. Starting with 2007 Tundra's they have timing chains that don't need to be replaced. I like the 1st gen Tundra, but they aren''t significantly bigger, nor will they tow more than the 2nd gen Tacoma. Plus you have to deal with timing belt changes every 100K. If I needed more room I'd look at the 07 and newer Tundra.

My 07 with a DC is a big step up in size compared to your 01 truck, but is still a little small. I reached the point 3 years ago where I needed a bigger truck. I COULD have traded my Tacoma and bought a new Tundra or F150. But it I decided I'd rather keep the Tacoma and bought a used 2014 F-150 crew cab for about the same out of pocket money. I looked for a good used Tundra, but simply never found a used one that met my criteria at a price I was willing to pay.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by sigguy
I own a 08 Tundra bought new, and have a lot of experience with the 4.0 V6 in the current 4Runner and previously in the Tacoma...

The 4.0 in the 4Runner is different from the 4.0 in the previous generation Tacoma. Dual VVT and more power.

For reliability I'd go with a 4.0 vs the 3.5 in the Tacoma. How it compares long term against a Tundra, don't know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2018 4Runner with the newer 4.0 and 5 speed auto. It power is acceptable, but it needs RPMs. I hear the 3.5 has less usable torque, and the transmission is always searching for the right gear for MPG.
I really wanted a new Tacoma but the engine/tranny and poor seat adjustments led me to getting a 4Runner. I also considered a Tundra, but I drive about 25K/year so mileage is important. I am getting around 20mpg with the 4Runner 4.0.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My wife has a 2018 4runner SR5 - That thing is one of the sweetest driving SUV's I have ever drove - get the RPM's up a bit and it has tones of power. Part of the reason we bought it was the known reliability of the 4.0/5 speed transmission combo in the 4 runner. No it may not be the most fuel efficient, but the 4 runner is the most 'bomb proof" reliable vehicle Toyota makes outside of the Land Cruiser.

Now with that said, I drive a 2018 Tundra (we kind of like Toyotas) and so far it is a very solid and powerful truck. No regrets at all (and I came from a 2016 ram cummins).

As far as mileage goes, my wife's 4 runner has 8k miles and my tundra has 22k miles - she averages about 18.5 overall and I average about 16.5 overall. If the Tacoma gets the same fuel mileage as the 4 runner, not sure I would go with the smaller truck for 2 mpg...

(When I tow my 8500 pound toyhauler, I average around -9-10 mpg, BUT with the 35 gallon fuel tank, I don't worry too much about having stops in between my camping/hunting destinations)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I owned both. My gut tells me the Tundra would last the longest. But neither of them get really good fuel economy nor does the Tundra payload compare to the newer F150’s.
My 2017 F150 did a much better job towing my 5,000 pound boat than my 2013 Tundra 5.7 did and the F150 got better mpg’s while it was doing it. 12.5 for the Tundra vs 15 for the F150 over the exact same course.
If you are the type to keep a truck forever the Toyota would be the best choice.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well I pulled the trigger and picked up a super clean 07 Tundra double cab with 4.7 ,TRD ,SR5 package low miles (89K) ,anything I should be aware of or do ?
Also looking to put a tonneau cover on it ,I would like it to be lockable but don't want a fiberglass one ,any suggestions?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
90K was the miles to change the timing belt on my 4.7.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Well I pulled the trigger and picked up a super clean 07 Tundra double cab with 4.7 ,TRD ,SR5 package low miles (89K) ,anything I should be aware of or do ?
Also looking to put a tonneau cover on it ,I would like it to be lockable but don't want a fiberglass one ,any suggestions?

In spite of their advertising, it's not a 3/4 ton.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Rock Chuck In spite of their advertising, it's not a 3/4 ton.[/quote]

I keep seeing and hearing this.

I have owned both Tacomas and Tundras ( and I currently own one of the latter.) Advertising for either usually catches my attention, whether I am in the market for a new pickup or not.

I have never seen any Toyota ads that even hint that the Tundras are 3/4-ton trucks. They do note that some of standard equipment on their trucks is beefier than that of their Big 3 1/2-ton competitors--apparently beefier enough that the state of Texas registers them as 3/4 ton pickups. But perhaps that is just an excuse for the state of Texas to ding Tundra owners for a little more money--I don't really know.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
RCL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Have been driving Tacoma for business since 2007. All have been the double cab short bed with TRD Offroad package 4x4.
Generally put about 150,000+ miles on before trading for new.
Change oil and filters at proper intervals and use real gas.
Tires , brakes and batteries are the only things I have had to replace.
Agree that the 3.5 is not as gutsy as the 4.0 but I have a lot of miles on a 2016 without problems.
Great trucks for me and I use them on the road and off on brush control projects.
Mine have held value very well.

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Terryk

Does anyone know what year. Switched from timing belt to timing chain ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 4.7L in the Tundra / Sequoia has a belt 2000 thru 2010

The 4.6L and the 5.7L have chains

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7690/~/does-my-vehicle-have-a-timing-belt-or-timing-chain%3F

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Folding hard tonneau cover suggestions ???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For us, I think the 3/4 ton BS is rooted in weight of vehicle.

Our class 1 license was traditionally 1/2 to trucks.
And at 5k#, you C ouldnt haul much. Many licensed them a 2. I think 7k.
If you had a 3/4, it probably was over 5k empty, and needed a 2.

However, pickups have gotten so heavy with 4 doors and toys,
that anything but a single cab 1/2 is near or over 5k.

So..........

But just because she's a fat ass, doesn't mean she's a strong worker! grin

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My 2006 Tundra had a chain.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I would suggest not getting a folding hard cover. You lose a lot of space because it doesn't really fold up. I've had a few tonneau's and I really can't stand them. But a topper now is $2k and I'm not payin that.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Extang Trifecta.

Easy install, easy removal. Folds up completely against back glass for entire open bed area. Locks down securely for what it is. Especially if you have a locking tailgate.
Not perfect security, as a knife can cut it open, but it will keep gear out of the elements and under wraps.

I used one on and off for years, then finally broke down and bought a custom ARE topper. Wish I had done that move sooner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tundra 2000-2004 V6 Belt
2000-2009 4.7 V8 Belt
2005-2014 V6 Chain
2007-2014 5.7 V8 Chain
2010-2014 4.6 V8 Chain

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7690/~/does-my-vehicle-have-a-timing-belt-or-timing-chain%3F

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tzone

5.7 or 4.7 ?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

5.7 or 4.7 ?

The motor 2 was 4.7. The 5.7 was not available in 2006

Last edited by tzone; 03/29/19.

S
S
Originally Posted by WTM45

Extang Trifecta.

Easy install, easy removal. Folds up completely against back glass for entire open bed area. Locks down securely for what it is. Especially if you have a locking tailgate.
Not perfect security, as a knife can cut it open, but it will keep gear out of the elements and under wraps.

I used one on and off for years, then finally broke down and bought a custom ARE topper. Wish I had done that move sooner.

I went from a 2002 Tundra (4.7 w/belt) with a canopy to a 2010 Tundra with a tri-fold hard tonneau cover. I thought for sure I was going to have to buy another canopy but to my surprise I actually like the tri-fold. Seems I haul larger items more often now as I only have to fold the tri-fold up and not have to take the canopy off like before. I am very happy with the tri-fold. Everything is secure and dry.
Some times I wish I had a canopy again but not enough to drop the cash for another one.

Last edited by Swampr42; 04/27/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When buying a used Tacoma/Tundra do you look for a Certified Used one or doesn't it matter?

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
When buying a used Tacoma/Tundra do you look for a Certified Used one or doesn't it matter?

I bought a 2009 Certified preowned Tacoma ....a week after buying it , I had the rear wheel bearing replaced. A year after I had it , the door was scratched , I bought touch up paint from the toyo dealer using the paint code on the door. It didn't come close to matching. I have a good relationship with my local Toyo dealer and he agreed that it was in an accident. That was never disclosed on the Carfax or any documentation the dealer provided. Incidentally the truck was not purchased at my local Toyo dealer but at a scumbag dealership located in Charlotte .

I traded it in and got what I paid for it originally a year later . My advice is to buy it from a Toyota dealer and have a outside mechanic go over it before you sign on the dotted line.

I have had 3 Tacomas and One Tundra 2017... I now have a 2006 Tacoma 4.0 6spd. Tundra is a nicer riding truck but gets horrendous gas mileage. The Tacoma quite frankly does not do a whole lot better.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I would suggest not getting a folding hard cover. You lose a lot of space because it doesn't really fold up. I've had a few tonneau's and I really can't stand them. But a topper now is $2k and I'm not payin that.

There is nothing I like about a folding tonneau cover or a fixed ARE cover. One does not fold completely out of the way, the ARE is a answer to a question never asked. Suppose you are out and about and you need an open Truck bed. ARe you to prop up the ARE or emoved it to fit the tall object?

I have purchased rollip tonneau covers and never had an issue.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a Tacoma 4 door v6 (4 liter) like you mentioned.

If you get an e-locker (off road version) they can have problems with the back end...
Other than that I had to replace my front wheel bearings.

I have 186,000 on it now, it’s a 2007 and keeps on ticking with no problems that stop it dead (I drove with bad wheel bearings /differential until I realized they were bad).
Gas mileage is 13-18 normally, if you stay below 63 you can get as much as 22 mpg.

Toyota unlike ford will fix what’s bad with the truck... they replaced my FRAME... (yeah the entire frame) because they had a bad bunch of frames and it rusted...

Frankly I use my truck ALOT so it’s been rode hard, and keeps on ticking.

Note - Costco has the best method of buying a toyota, you’ll get static pricing that’s close to dealer... it’s the only way to fly.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bought my 07 4X4 DC TRD Tacoma new 12 years ago next month. It'll roll over onto 200,000 miles in a couple of weeks. So far I've replaced the alternator, shocks, and the HVAC motor. Other than that it has just been tires, brakes, battery and fluids. Best truck I've ever owned.

But it is small with limited towing and hauling capability. I waited until my kids were grown and out of the house to go to a smaller truck. It did fine until 3 years ago. I now have 4 grandkids ranging from 11 down to 1. We needed a bigger truck. We kept the Tacoma and I bought a 2 year old 2014 F150 crew cab in 2016. The Tacoma was worth more to me than I would have gotten in trade. While they are great trucks make sure you can get by with one that small.

Another thing to at least think about. Toyota redesigned the Tacoma in 2015 (I think) and replaced the 4.0 with a 3.5 engine. There are more than a few complaints about the newer 3rd generation Tacomas.

The last long road trip from GA to the Grand Canyon, up through southern Utah and back across Colorado to GA netted me 20.0 mpg average for the trip. I got as much as 23 on one tank to as little as 15-16 on others depending on the terrain. Made a similar 4100 mile road trip with the F150 about a month ago and got 19.3 overall. Fuel mileage isn't that much different and the Ford will haul and tow a LOT more than the Tacoma.

I looked hard at Tundra's 3 years ago, but on the used market simply couldn't find one that checked off all the boxes at a price I'd pay. The Ford I bought did, or I'd have bought a Tundra. But 3 years, and 50,000 miles into the Ford I don't have any regrets. The Tundra will get 2-3 mpg worse than Ford or Tacoma. But that ain't as big a deal as some make it out to be. It comes up to about 7-8 gallons more fuel to drive 1000 miles. That would have been about one more tank of fuel to complete my 4100 mile road trip last month.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I use an Extang solid fold on my Tundra. I like it. No extra hardware like rails or brackets to install. If you need the whole bed open the entire cover comes off (and goes back on) very easily. Your Tundra has a locking tail gate, so any tonneau that needs the gate open to unlatch cover is effectively a locking cover.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I have two Taco's.......

used these soft roll up type......really handy

budget priced....work well.....clean up nicely

https://gatorcovers.com/c/tonneau-covers/roll-up/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[/quote] I looked hard at Tundra's 3 years ago, but on the used market simply couldn't find one that checked off all the boxes at a price I'd pay. The Ford I bought did, or I'd have bought a Tundra. But 3 years, and 50,000 miles into the Ford I don't have any regrets. The Tundra will get 2-3 mpg worse than Ford or Tacoma. But that ain't as big a deal as some make it out to be. It comes up to about 7-8 gallons more fuel to drive 1000 miles. That would have been about one more tank of fuel to complete my 4100 mile road trip last month. [/quote]

My tundra got a little over 15 1/2 MPG HIgh way miles on 2 road trips this year . I paid roughly 160 bucks each roundtrip one to Florida and the other to Alabama. The highest MPG I ever got with it was 18mpg . My tacoma gets 17-18 all the time. The F150 I had with a 3.5 ecoboost got 19-21 mpg depending on the ratio of city/highway. It was significantly better then the Tundra fuel wise. Reliability was a disaster as it was bought back from Ford. Resale value on the Tundra is very very strong. I am glad Ford bought back the F150.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Can I ask ??? How much $$$ for a TRD with 89K ? I'm looking for the same thing....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No experience myself, but a guy I know bought a "Undercover" brand tonneau because he wanted a strong cover that woundn't be damaged if somebody climbed on it.

Note that this model particular model isn't folding, but apparently it is not difficult to remove, and the price seems quite low. The same company DOES make folding tonneau models too. Undercover LINK to all models

LINK to one piece model (only about 1000 bucks)

I visited the webpage link he sent me, and I imagine these are the pictures that convinced him. : wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I haven't visited him yet to look at it myself, but he's happy.

John

Last edited by jpb; 07/09/19.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mikieb

Can I ask ??? How much $$$ for a TRD with 89K ? I'm looking for the same thing....

these ads.....closest thing I could find......all others had many more miles......

Tundra & Tacoma's are very popular here in Utah......

for detailed search use zip 84111 or 84601 (Provo)

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/5636349?ad_cid=15

[img]https://img.ksl.com/mx/mplace-cars.ksl.com/1814577-1559845872-862494.jpeg?filter=marketplace/664x500[/img]

Last edited by tikkanut; 07/09/19.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have a '12 tacoma off road short box. Has 166K on it. Bought it because I got tired of taking a beating on the big 3 with resale/trade. Most miles I ever put on a truck but my business has me traveling a couple days a week 100-200 miles per day, so I bought the tacoma knowing I would put on more miles (for me) and knew it would last. Parking, maneuvering on/off road, etc much better than a full size.
Replaced front wheel bearings on both, had some air compressor valve or what ever it was replaced and then fought with toyota for a year to get reimbursed since there was a recall a month later ($1000 repair). They finally made good after getting my birth certificate, sex orientation, finger prints, hat size, and pictures of my dogs that ride in the truck. Other than that it has been a good truck that I'll probably keep another year or 3.
Thinking of going back to a full size though, but if I get another tacoma, long box for sure. Or I may just keep this one indefinitely as a beater, run the nuts off it and lease a full size as my "good" truck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

Try finding one on the west coast. WA, OR, Nevada. It won't be all rusted to hell.... I have an 04' Tacoma double cab and a 00' Tundra. Both are rust free and will last me the rest of my lifetime with proper preventative maintenance:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When I first got my Tundra, I figured I'd sell the Taco, but later changed my mind when I found out the Tundra actually does better on fuel than the Taco. On a recent trip to Reno, I averaged 19 mpg with the Tundra. On a good day, the Taco only gets 18 on the freeway. And the wind better be in my favor to do that. However, the Taco has its strong points. It's excellent for those tight roads and goat trails when getting to my favorite hunting spots. The Tundra beats the hell out of the Taco for hauling and towing stuff though. I will keep both trucks, as they will last a looooooong time: The main reason for buying Toyota pickups. I have a buddy that has owned a 98 TRD extended cab, since it was new, and has not even changed the original brakes yet. Although, he's done all the required upkeep to it and it still runs like a champ. Why throw money at Ford or Chevy or Dodge, when you can own a truck that isn't going to nickel and dime you to death?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just pulled the trigger on a kinda rare bird... 2007 Tundra, Regular cab w/8' box in the SR5 package.... 4X4 w/4.7 102k on the miles.

Just has the timing belt, water pump and wheel bearing in the last 5k miles.

It has a little grill damage from a turkey and serious corrosion on the aluminum wheels.. both are an easy fix... the freaking doors on the thing are huge....

I think I got a prity fair deal on it for $10500.00

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I drive a 2018 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5...Currently has 31k trouble free miles. Tows our 8k toy hauler with ease. Only thing I have done to it (outside of oil changes) is airbags, bfg tires, and an kn air filter. I average around 15.5 mpg overall. Plan to keep this one for the long haul.

My wife drove a Tahoe for years and this last summer we got her a 2018 4runner SR5. Talking with people I trust, the 4runner with the 4.0 is just about the most bomb proof, long lasting vehicle Toyota offers. Its a great little rig and I love driving it. My wife only averages about 10-12k miles a year - so we should have it for a long time as well.

My only grip or wish with Toyota, is that they would offer the Tundra Crew Cab with a 6'6" bed - 5' truck beds are useless in my opinion. It was that reason I bought the Double Cab (although truth be told the DC has a lot of room - way more than the domestics extended cabs)

**EDIT - I looked back and just realized I posted about our rigs on this thread back in Feburary...LOLOL - Oh well, our family loves our Toyotas!!!

Last edited by Hiaring8; 07/15/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
they would offer the Tundra Crew Cab with a 6'6" bed - 5' truck beds are useless in my opinion.

I've had a Tacoma with a 5' bed, 1/2 tons with 5'6" beds, 6'6' beds, 7' and 8' beds. The 5' Tacoma bed is a little small, but the 5'6" beds on 1/2 tons are a lot wider and deeper. Plus with the tailgate down and/or using a bed extender I've got 8' of usable bed in a 1/2 ton. If it won't fit in the 5'6" bed I've never found another 1' would help. It's time to go to an 8' bed or use a trailer. Plus another 1' in the bed along with a crew cab starts to take on bus like proportions especially off road. Ford offers their Raptor with an extended cab and 5'6" bed that has nearly the same wheelbase as a regular cab short bed which is a good idea I wish others would copy.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I drive a 2018 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5...Currently has 31k trouble free miles. Tows our 8k toy hauler with ease. Only thing I have done to it (outside of oil changes) is airbags, bfg tires, and an kn air filter. I average around 15.5 mpg overall. Plan to keep this one for the long haul.

My wife drove a Tahoe for years and this last summer we got her a 2018 4runner SR5. Talking with people I trust, the 4runner with the 4.0 is just about the most bomb proof, long lasting vehicle Toyota offers. Its a great little rig and I love driving it. My wife only averages about 10-12k miles a year - so we should have it for a long time as well.

My only grip or wish with Toyota, is that they would offer the Tundra Crew Cab with a 6'6" bed - 5' truck beds are useless in my opinion. It was that reason I bought the Double Cab (although truth be told the DC has a lot of room - way more than the domestics extended cabs)

**EDIT - I looked back and just realized I posted about our rigs on this thread back in Feburary...LOLOL - Oh well, our family loves our Toyotas!!!

Throw away the K&N air filter if you plan on keeping it long term. Just change the Factory Filter or use a Napa Gold Air filter and change it yearly.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Out of curiosity - Why do you recommend not using a K and N air filter? I am not a big "gear head engine guy" so I am very much a novice on a lot of that stuff, however I ran a K and N on my 96 Tacoma in highschool and college and never had any issues in the 90k miles I put on it during that time.

The only thing I have every heard was if you over oil them, it can set off your mass air flow sensor?

We are running an AFE dry filter on my wives 4runner.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Out of curiosity - Why do you recommend not using a K and N air filter? I am not a big "gear head engine guy" so I am very much a novice on a lot of that stuff, however I ran a K and N on my 96 Tacoma in highschool and college and never had any issues in the 90k miles I put on it during that time.

The only thing I have every heard was if you over oil them, it can set off your mass air flow sensor?

Short: The K & N airfilters allow more abrasive particulates into your engine, and paper filters pass more than enough air so there isn't a performance penalty.

Longer: There are a lot of tests by engineers which quantify airflow, and filtering of particulates on the net.
HERE is one link

Below, is one graph (of many). This shows the dirt that got by the filter and would get in the engine, so lower is better. smile

[Linked Image]

It is rather technical (because it done by real engineers, not automotive writers or anonymous internet persons), but the graphs are good so take the time to look at the graphs (it isn't rocket surgery! grin

if you want more, google something like "test of K & N air filters" . You will find LOTS of K & N material (they market very aggressively), but disregard those and just look at the independent tests where they really measure things!

I used to use a K & N air filter, but I don't anymore because I couldn't find a quantitative test that found them to be better than conventional filters -- all the tests I found indicated the opposite. This was quite a few years ago, but I think these comparison tests are still valid.

John

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Exactly oiling the filter can be an issue if it is over oiled . I used them in an Avalon and Camry at roughly the same time. I saw no difference in gas mileage or performance, I did notice that the engine was louder when accelerating with the K&N in the Avalon.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jpb

Short: The K & N airfilters allow more abrasive particulates into your engine, and paper filters pass more than enough air so there isn't a performance penalty.

Longer: There are a lot of tests by engineers which quantify airflow, and filtering of particulates on the net.
HERE is one link

Below, is one graph (of many). This shows the dirt that got by the filter and would get in the engine, so lower is better. smile

[Linked Image]

It is rather technical (because it done by real engineers, not automotive writers or anonymous internet persons), but the graphs are good so take the time to look at the graphs (it isn't rocket surgery! grin

if you want more, google something like "test of K & N air filters" . You will find LOTS of K & N material (they market very aggressively), but disregard those and just look at the independent tests where they really measure things!

I used to use a K & N air filter, but I don't anymore because I couldn't find a quantitative test that found them to be better than conventional filters -- all the tests I found indicated the opposite. This was quite a few years ago, but I think these comparison tests are still valid.

John

John,

Thanks for posting that .

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 2017 Toyota Tacoma DC for right at six months. Loved the truck when it was just me and the wife inside. Ride was a bit rough on the back roads where I live, but enjoyed the fuel economy of around 21 MPG mixed driving (this was the 3.5l V6). I encountered problems when towing my 5200 LB trailer on the highway and hills, mind you this is in the deep South so no mountains really. The truck would struggle to maintain speed on the freeway with crazy high revs and the same with the hills. The continual downshifts were annoying. Second complaint was when we had our grand-daughter with us in the back in her car seat. Her feet would extend into the front of the cab and rest on the center console (this for a 3-year old). So lack of space and power had me trade it and eat some reverse equity for a 2018 Tundra.

The Tundra has been a worry-free dream to own. No issues with power or space. The only complaint is the fuel mileage, but it is not so bad that I would ever consider selling it. Roughly 8 MPG towing and 15.5 mixed MPG otherwise (5.7l V8 2WD).

Last edited by Mink; 07/19/19.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a F150 with a V6, and the transmission was always shifting. I hated that so much I sold it. The transmission searching is a big reason I opted for a 4.0 4Runner instead of a 3.5 Tacoma. I am thinking about a used truck, and I will look at the older 4.0 Tacomas if I get one. Might get a Tundra also, just depends.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just bought, actually put money down to hold, a 2020 Tundra CrewMax with the TSS Off Road package. They’d just unloaded off the semi and none of their paperwork was in order.

Pick it up Monday. Can’t wait to get it home and look at it in the driveway while I drive my 2001 Civic with 300k miles back and forth to work. smile

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I bought a 2019 DC last December but considered waiting for the 2020. Are there major changes to appearance, engines and transmissions or just minor cosmetic changes? I haven't found any details, just rumors. One rumor I keep finding is about a new Cummins diesel engine option.

Pictures please.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
I bought a 2019 DC last December but considered waiting for the 2020. Are there major changes to appearance, engines and transmissions or just minor cosmetic changes? I haven't found any details, just rumors. One rumor I keep finding is about a new Cummins diesel engine option.

Pictures please.

No major changes to the Tacoma. The pro gets army green as a color option.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers

Pictures please.

I just read yesterday of some minor changes. Most notable was 8” dash touchscreen instead of 7”.

Pics from sales guy that aren’t very good. I like the Cement Gray color.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That looks pretty much like the 2019 to me. I ordered my SR5 DC with the tow mirrors ($50 extra) and TRD dual exhaust. The tow mirrors are every bit as good as the ones on my old 2002 F350 Ford. I was able to test drive a Tundra with the dual exhaust. Had to have them after hearing the sound! I read that they tested 30 different setups before settling on what they offer. I'd say they "done good".

You will like your Tundra.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

If you live in Idaho, that K&N is going to do harsh things to that engine. I know, I'm from Nevada, same same environments... The K&N lets in more particulates and doesn't filtrate nearly as good as the stock box filter.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I love the tundra body style, like many I read the rumors Toyota was coming out with a turbo charged v6 for the 2019. I was waiting for that, but never materialized. Toyota did very little to the 2019. Also Toyota said they will never put a diesel in the tundra.. everyone says ah man put a diesel in it I will buy one. Right now three manufactures put diesels in the 1/2 ton and don't look like they are selling many. Last year when I was looking at new trucks, dodge had a fire sale going for ram 1500 with the diesels.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A neighbor had a 1/2 ton Dodge with a diesel for a short time. It was in the shop a lot. Last time they "fixed" it, he sold it. It was a POS.

I would not buy a Tundra with a diesel was just curious about the rumors of the Cummins. I think the Nissan Titan has that diesel engine a an option.

This 5.4 gas in my Tundra is a running machine and sounds good while doing it! Gets 16.5 to 17.5 mpg.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nissan doesn’t offer the Cummins anymore. Only 3 model years. Didn’t sell well at all.

I’m keeping my 6.0-no Ford diesel. It’s been mostly “bulletproofed” and has been a good truck. I’ll keep it for gooseneck and 5th wheel duty and just when I want to drive something with scary torque (tuned....).

The Tundra will become my mostly daily driver and hopefully be trouble free for 10+ years.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m on my third Tundra.....went back to a first gen 4.7.....I just like the body style and the combo of room/size, motor, and way they drive. Nothing wrong with my 5.7 2015, but I just think the first gen fits what I want it to do better. If I need more truck, then I’ll buy a 3/4-1 ton diesel to sit around until I need to haul a house.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (338reddog, 673, 444Matt, 6MMWASP, 257robertsimp, 450yukon, 14 invisible), 1,682 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.