Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
What a pain, we used to need it for sheep. Ever tear out an old woven wire fence?
Half buried, and the wire rips often.

Our cows are masters at crawling through the top of the old woven wire, and bottom barb.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
While it is a pain to tear out and to install it does turn a sheep better than barbed wire. We had those that could crawl the fence as you describe. They even taught their offspring to do it too.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stantdm
While it is a pain to tear out and to install it does turn a sheep better than barbed wire. We had those that could crawl the fence as you describe. They even taught their offspring to do it too.

Net wire fences also turn coyotes much better too. Not only keeps the sheep and goats in, but most of the coyotes out.

You can sure catch lots of coyotes by using snares at the slides in net wire fences too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It makes it a lot easier to catch new born calves.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to use woven wire to hold hogs, and have a woven wire around my horse lot, and garden. I'd like to have part of the cattle pasture fenced in with it, but barbed is cheaper and easier for be to put up, especially if I'm doing it by myself.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I used to use woven wire to hold hogs, and have a woven wire around my horse lot, and garden. I'd like to have part of the cattle pasture fenced in with it, but barbed is cheaper and easier for be to put up, especially if I'm doing it by myself.

We've got a few areas where we've used it but like you mention barbed (and electric) is so much easier if you have to do it by yourself. Of course I don't have one of the woven wire roller frames that fit on a 3 point hitch so I just roll it on the ground then tension with a bar run through it at the end. I'd definitely get one of the 3 point roller/tensioners if I was going to do a lot of it.

I think the best all around sheep/goat fence would be the class 3 no-climb horse fencing with the smaller holes. Goats will get their head stuck in the regular woven wire....heads can be shoved through but the horns stop them from coming back out. It's expensive and a headache to install.

The majority of what we have is barbed with a strand of electric below the bottom and between the first and second run of barbed.....it works really well for turning coyotes....as long as it isn't grounded/wrapped on the barb wire. Have replaced about 1/2 of the low tensile electric with high tensile and I'm VERY happy with it. Will be starting on replacing the rest now that hunting season ended.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My son decided to fence in a woods lot behind his house, and get his kids some goats. I told him that he needed woven wire, but did he listen to me.......no, he put up a five strand barbed wire fence. He bought 2 nannies and a billy, turned them in, and the billy went through the fence, back through it again, and finally out a third time, and never came back. The nannies were gentler, and stayed in.

The next day, he had me putting up 2 strands of electric up. As long as the electric wire doesn't get twisted around the barbed wire, it will hold them alright. I still remind him that if he'd listened to me, he'd still have a billy.

Last edited by JamesJr; 02/12/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are those who would say that he came out ahead. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
lol....I still listen to my Dad. Some things with goats are just a learning experience. I've learned that fencing for goats is really pretty simple and I'm not sure why people make it so complicated.....if it will hold water it will probably hold a goat.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Woven fences are pretty dependable shoe pullers for horses.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you need the netwire for sheep, or goats, fine. Otherwise it's the Queen's hemorrhoids.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Woven fences are pretty dependable shoe pullers for horses.

I've had to doctor several horses that cut themselves on barbwire too. Sometimes without success.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Barry, modesty, and good taste forbids me from repeating an old bad joke about a farmer that had trouble with a horse he was training being cut with barb wire.

Perhaps 5sdad will have it on his huge file of old jokes.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If you need the netwire for sheep, or goats, fine. Otherwise it's the Queen's hemorrhoids.

Don't need to know about the queens parts!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
lol....I still listen to my Dad. Some things with goats are just a learning experience. I've learned that fencing for goats is really pretty simple and I'm not sure why people make it so complicated.....if it will hold water it will probably hold a goat.

Haha!

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yup, water will not run uphill, sheep will.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't know anything about Goats or Goat fencing but I'm pretty sure you're right.

There's a guy across the river with a large heard of Goats that does weed/undergrowth abatement with them.

I've only seen them at work from the road so I'm not sure exactly how it's constructed but he contains them in the targeted area with what looks like 1/4" diameter 2' tall plastic stakes with one fiber type elec wire around the top.. ....At least I think it's elec but I've never seen the power pack. He'll leave em in one spot for a few days and then move goats and fencing on down the line. The goats are a smaller strain....probably about 2-2.5" at the shoulder but I never see any of em flattened by log trucks so the fencing must work.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm a fan of electric...with a heavy charger. The ease of setup for anyone doing the graze for weed control thing is a no-brainer. Most of our goats don't test the fences as long as they've got food and access to luv in da pasture...miss one of those and any goat will test a fence. Occasionally one will come along that is going to test the fence no matter what....and they get thrown in jail (woven wire), then go directly to the sale. In the end, although it hurts, electric is just a psychological barrier....if they want through it bad enough they can get through it. For a physical barrier, the non-climb horse fencing is probably the best thing going...but a pain to install and expensive (especially with class 3 galv):

https://redbrandstore.com/products/square-deal-non-climb-horse-fence-200-class-3-1660-2-12-1-2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a fan of electric...with a heavy charger. The ease of setup for anyone doing the graze for weed control thing is a no-brainer. Most of our goats don't test the fences as long as they've got food and access to luv in da pasture...miss one of those and any goat will test a fence. Occasionally one will come along that is going to test the fence no matter what....and they get thrown in jail (woven wire), then go directly to the sale. In the end, although it hurts, electric is just a psychological barrier....if they want through it bad enough they can get through it. For a physical barrier, the non-climb horse fencing is probably the best thing going...but a pain to install and expensive (especially with class 3 galv):

https://redbrandstore.com/products/square-deal-non-climb-horse-fence-200-class-3-1660-2-12-1-2

I used to love hogs that would squeal just before they got to the electric when they ran through the fence. grin

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I run Red Brand woven wire with a single strand of barbed at 49" in the front pasture. Over time it's proven to be an excellent fencing. Cows/bull are very easy on it and the chickens can free range without coyotes or the occasional neighborhood stray dog attacking. I keep the coop right in the pasture. For our Highlander stock there's been no downside.

In the back pasture we went 5-strand barbed due to the many does and fawns that pass through the area. My decision to go barbed over woven was an ethical one. I would have loved to use the woven wire back there but couldn't do so in good conscience.
The barbed is a real PITA. I fix something every week back there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 300_savage, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 66 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,510
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.