Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking mostly at the Atom SL and Atom LT as they are both available in orange, seem lightweight with some insulation and water resistance. I also think I like the idea of having vented pits and sleeves. Any thoughts here? Would the SL be too light for mid September to Mid October hunts as a mid layer?

Open to other products out there too

Last edited by exbiologist; 02/10/19.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use either a long discontinued Mountain Hardwear or an OR Ferrosi "unfaced," lightweight, soft shell over either a nylon t-shirt, t-neck, fleece, or whatever layer combo. I dislike any kind of fleece or insulation built into an active softshell as it limits the versatility of the piece, and I can't ever remember using or wanting an insulated piece, even well below zero, over other layers (except when stationary). Because I don't like hoods on a windbreaker (the Atom SL), nor would I want insulation (the Atom LT), neither of these would work for me. But of the two I'd go with the SL, though I am sick of the hood fad that has infected seemingly every bit of outwear these days. Hoods are fine on a few things, but not on friggin everything - grin.

OR Ferrosi no hood: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/...acks/mens-ferrosi-jacket/p/2691720008007

w/ hood: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/...ns-ferrosi-hooded-jacket/p/2691711289008

The highly underrated Eddie Bauer makes a very good unfaced soft shell as well:

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/...s=&color=011&sizetype=&size=

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have both Atom's great jackets. I run warm and if you see me out in town now in the winter you will see me in one of my Atom SL jackets. For me they are perfect. My only complaint with them is the zippers fall. I hate that. I wish they would use a better zipper.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Atom Lt Hoodie is possibly my favorite jacket. I wear over a capilene base and Peleton 240 when hunting. Add a Kifaru LPP over the top of it all if really cold. I also wear it on a daily basis.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love my Kifaru LPP.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody, I live it it pretty much.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 02/10/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoodie in Orange Phoenix is the best jacket I've ever owned.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I love my atom lt. With base layer, fleece mid, and atom lt I'm good to go into late oct/nov.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So you’re wearing it as an outermost piece and find the LT warm enough?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Are you asking me? It was five degrees out today. I shoveled my driveway and my neighbors in it. Then walked about a mile one way down to the Bitterroot River and back in it. I was fine. Now if you are sitting still no, you will most likely need more unless you are more Polar Bear blood than I am. Total time outdoors in it today in 5 degrees was three and a half hours. Was not cold at all.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks MCH, I was actually asking JH about how he uses it in his layers. Still appreciate the perspective.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Oh sorry. If you can find discontinued colors you can get it for a deal. As we all know Arc'teryx is proud of their gear. But I will say this they also stand behind their goods.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Brad

Eddie Bauer seems to be making some nice gear now. My wife has one of their Evertherm jackets and really likes it. Many, many years ago I thought of their down sleeping bags as first rate (but as a kid who knows..) then they seemed to get away from more technical items and clothing.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by exbiologist
So you’re wearing it as an outermost piece and find the LT warm enough?

With layers, yes. If just wearing short sleeves no. I also carry a puffy vest too. Wore it last season and was fine glassing in the teens. I think the hood plays a huge roll in trapping body heat.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 02/12/19.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was thinking about this jacket the other day, before this thread appeared. The thing I'm most impressed with the Atom is the range of conditions in which I'm comfortable. I've attributed it to the system being fairly wind resistant so the wind really doesn't matter too much and it moves moisture well so I never have that damp, clammy feeling. With a synthetic t-shirt and my 240 Peleton under the Atom, I've been very comfortable hiking in the Rockies in temps <10deg., riding my Mtn Bike on the hills around my house in VA in the 20s-30s, working in the yard, whatever. I had to cut some ice covered branches this morning to get out of my driveway and ended up wearing it to work over my business shirt and tie. Very versatile!
I have an old Mtn Hardware jacket that has windstopper and it too seems to work over a very wide range of conditions. I'm sure there are others, these are just two I have experience with. Whatever they've done with the Atom LT, they got it right for me. Even the color, Basalt, is just right for the woods. It's a discontinued color and basically matches the Kuiu brown. To Brad's point about the hoodie, while my Atom has one, I'd be fine without it. Just pulling the hood of the 240 over my beanie is sufficient. If I need more than that I'm adding my LPP over it all anyway. I might even look for an Atom without the hood.

In contrast, my Sitka Kelvin Active moves moisture quite well, has some insulating properties, but the temps at which I may be comfortable will vary dramatically if there is some wind.The times I wore it hunting I found it worked fine if hiking but I had to add my LPP pretty quickly if stopped, moving very slowly or around camp. It just felt like there was a narrow window of comfort. Perhaps just better suited to August/September archery seasons.

Random food for thought...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Are you asking me? It was five degrees out today. I shoveled my driveway and my neighbors in it. Then walked about a mile one way down to the Bitterroot River and back in it. I was fine. Now if you are sitting still

'creek, I believe I could wear a walmart hoodie and be fairly comfortable when doing strenuous activities,

It's the down time I'm looking for advice on.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I wouldn't call a walk on flat ground very strenuous. Like I said I wear one everyday. I am fine in it. But you may run cold. It is definitely not a PUFFY!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Brad
I use either a long discontinued Mountain Hardwear or an OR Ferrosi "unfaced," lightweight, soft shell over either a nylon t-shirt, t-neck, fleece, or whatever layer combo. I dislike any kind of fleece or insulation built into an active softshell as it limits the versatility of the piece, and I can't ever remember using or wanting an insulated piece, even well below zero, over other layers (except when stationary). Because I don't like hoods on a windbreaker (the Atom SL), nor would I want insulation (the Atom LT), neither of these would work for me. But of the two I'd go with the SL, though I am sick of the hood fad that has infected seemingly every bit of outwear these days. Hoods are fine on a few things, but not on friggin everything - grin.

OR Ferrosi no hood: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/...acks/mens-ferrosi-jacket/p/2691720008007

w/ hood: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/...ns-ferrosi-hooded-jacket/p/2691711289008

So Brad what do you use as your insulating layer when stationary, and down to what temperature ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SL, among other layers including a 200 wt Polartec 1/4 zip sweater, I carry a down or synthetic sweater, as well as a goretex wind/rain jacket.

Here's a good thread about layering:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...13019767/re-clothes-for-elk#Post13019767

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Brad, I’m guessing you layer the puffy over the Ferrosi if needed while stationary , and then the Goretex jacket over it all if needed ?
What temperatures are you comfortable to with this set up ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

687 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,584
Posts18,454,243
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.