Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13449412 01/13/19
Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have 10 points in WY and looking for some advice. Not on secret spots or honey holes so bear with me.

I have literally made 100's of calls and texts and emails over the last 2-3 weeks. I have spoken with friends, friends of friends, game wardens, outfitters, ranchers, etc. I feel like I've been given some pretty good and specific info about Unit 7. I have secured some private access but it's a small parcel. However, it makes it much easier to get into some decent sized public areas. I have also spoken with Jake at BHL who is an outfitter in Unit 7 that has been extremely helpful and I will likely pay him for some additional scouting info or possibly just go guided with him. He has gone out of his way to help me. I feel decent about the info I have been given from friends and I think I can have a pretty good hunt there and be into bulls. Up to me to get it done and "that's why they call it hunting". I like the idea of a more DIY type hunt. I can't call it a true DIY since I've gotten a lot of info and help from others but more DIY than a guided hunt for sure. My plan was to get out in August and scout for a week or so mostly to just learn the lay of the land and figure out access and camping and glassing spots and things like that. I will then go back and hunt 7-10 days during archery and Ican go back in Oct or Nov if I haven't filled my tag. I'm thinking that I should expect a 300-325" class bull on this hunt with possibility up to 350". Does that sound about right?

My other option is that I have spoken with Josh Martoglio and Tre Heiner and I feel very good about the hunt they offer. I have spoken to lots of outfitters but those guys come with personal recs from friends and I really like what they bring to the table. I think they are more likely to be able to put me on a 320-340" bull with a chance at bigger. The chance at a bigger bull like 350" plus is likely better with either of those guys. Their hunts are expensive but I have a plan for being able to sell some items and pick up some overtime at work and I can probably make it happen. This hunt would be 7 days and likely 9-10 total days gone from home/work so that's better.

With 10 points and the ability to draw either type hunt, what would you do? Am I maximizing my points better with the guided hunts in Park county or will I likely have a quality hunt and more satisfaction with a Unit 7 unguided hunt? Mainly just thinking about the quality of bulls and whether it would be better to hunt Park county?

Thanks again guys.

Lee

Last edited by Ebby; 01/13/19.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Lots of grizz over in Western Wyo, you comfortable with them?
You may find a wolf to shoot in 7 along with your bull.
Big bulls in 7 and private land makes for a better chance to get one of them. I wouldn 't opt for a hunt on a small parcel, you'll end up on public.
Some good ranch hunts in 7 too, not sold by outfitters but by the landowner.
We see lots of medium to small bulls come out of there too so be mentally prepared for a hunt with limited success even in 7.
7 has some very rugged terrain so don't be lulled into thinking a hunt there would be easy.

Good luck, you mentioned some great guides and outfitters. Call them and ask for references of unsuccessful hunters and call them. They will tell you why they didn't connect and how the hunt played out .

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. Didn't realize I might find wolves in 7. That's cool. I'm comfortable around Grizz. Don't really want to interact with them but I've been on hunts before where they were and I'm fine with it.

I wasn't planning my hunt around the small parcel of private in Unit 7. I would only use it as an easier access to some of the public nearby.

I have spoken with several people in regards to those outfitters and spoken with friends who have hunted with them. I feel pretty good about both of those guys.

Thanks!
Lee

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the chance of a wolf in 7 is extremely remote. I wonder if wytex meant you might find a wolf with the NW hunts.

I would say it may depend on what kind of hunt you want too. I’d rather one of the hunts in the NW, but I’m biased and know little about 7.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ebby

I wasn't planning my hunt around the small parcel of private in Unit 7. I would only use it as an easier access to some of the public nearby.
Lee

Not from WY but have you spoken to the land owner about access? In CO there is no guaranteed access across private land. It is totally at the discretion of the land owner. Here, land owners seldom allow such access or charge "access (or trespass) fees" sometimes quite exorbitant.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
You will have a far better and less frustrating hunt in NW Wyoming.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Lee, I've hunted in 7 for deer but scouted for elk with the idea of drawing a tag. I found some bulls in an area that I could manage to deal with one without having horses or help getting it out. I built points but ended up using my points in 19 and it worked well. I can't help with choosing an outfitter, my hunts were diy and solo. You'll have a better chance at a 350" bull with a good outfitter and that would probably be the best way to spend your points.

I'm still building mine but I have my nephew in the draw and unless the point creep gets us he should pull a tag this year in 19. Let me know if I can help you with any info that I have.

Good hunting, David

Golden............
Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Prwlr, I have gotten permission and will be paying the landowner for the access and to also hunt his piece if the elk are on him. I would never just find a piece of private ground on a map and assume that I could use it. Being from the SE it doesn't work that way down here and I knew better than to think I could cross or use somebpdy's private ground without permission. I think "corner hopping" is also illegal in WY too huh?

Chesterwy, I am kind of thinking the same thing.

David, 19 is also on my list and I've looked at it some too. I have more points than needed for that hunt but I'm still open. I'll give you a call or text later to pick your brain if that's good with you?

Thanks guys!

Lee

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I think the chance of a wolf in 7 is extremely remote. I wonder if wytex meant you might find a wolf with the NW hunts.

I would say it may depend on what kind of hunt you want too. I’d rather one of the hunts in the NW, but I’m biased and know little about 7.

Wolf was harvested this fall and a pack on game cams in 7, big black female. They are here.in 7 and around the area. Been spotted near Cheyenne for a couple of years now.

7 has big bulls but private is almost needed to get to them, not necessary but a big help.
Tons of tags in 7 too so you'll have plenty of company on the public.

Wolf hunting has expanded around the state as they disperse. Verified sighting in Snowies and as I stated between Laramie and Cheyenne in Laramie Range and Vedauwoo.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shoot 805 a pm he was just over there elk huntin, his ol man had a tag.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Unit 7 that is...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wytex

Wolf was harvested this fall and a pack on game cams in 7, big black female. They are here.in 7 and around the area. Been spotted near Cheyenne for a couple of years now.

7 has big bulls but private is almost needed to get to them, not necessary but a big help.

Wolf hunting has expanded around the state as they disperse. Verified sighting in Snowies and as I stated between Laramie and Cheyenne in Laramie Range and Vedauwoo.

I realize they have been everywhere around the state. But I wouldn’t list wolf hunting in 7 as a plus over the NW. Where there are long established multiple packs. 7 would have the advantage of being in the predator zone.

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys. I've been in touch with 805. He's been very helpful. Thanks

Lee

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wytex

I realize they have been everywhere around the state. But I wouldn’t list wolf hunting in 7 as a plus over the NW. Where there are long established multiple packs. 7 would have the advantage of being in the predator zone.

Not a plus over the NW but another chance at one. We are the predator zone and wolves are here.

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Went ahead and out in for Unit 7. Liking my info about the unit. Prob won't kill a monster but hopefully will have a good chance at a decent bull and have some fun in the meantime!

Lee

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good luck Lee, I have no doubt you'll get it done. Nice part of the world to be hunting elk in.

Golden............
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There are in fact wolf in unit 7, and quite a few...... There are good bulls but access can be hard. Wagonhound bought up damn near every piece of property they could get their fingers on.......with that many points you could also look at the shirley mountian hunt, unit 16, or 122 and 123.. 122 and 123 there are some ranches you can pay a trespass fee to get back to landlocked areas with little pressure and big bulls .. I know you already put in for 7, not sure when the modify deadline is.......as far as size in 7, you can expect anywhere from 270-350. If you get on any 6x6 as long as it isnt pencil'd, figure on dropping the hammer.....A outfitter/guide will give you better odds, just depends on how deep your pockets are. expect $5500-7500...............If you end up drawing 7 get ahold of me, I have a friend who owns land, has been hunting #7 for 25 years and helps guide for WY hunting with heros.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My first year hunting area 7 I had a bull tag, but not much time, info or familiarity with the area, stupidly passed on a decent bull and didn't see any after that until after Nov 20... Then I saw a ton. In the three years since, I've only been able to get area 7 cow tags, but have filled them without much trouble, while seeing many bulls on public land. Wagonhound does have a lot of good land tied up, but there is still tons and tons of public land up there with elk available to those willing to explore HMAs/ walk in areas, drive a bunch and lay down boot rubber. There are a few private ranches that will let folks on a for a fairly reasonable trespass fee. Onx maps is a must, and timing is important, once they herd up they are easier to find in the open areas (think antelope terrain), but will be moving alot over various private and public, and they might just roll out of the good public areas for the season like a few of the big herds did this year. Area 7 can have quite a few hunters in the main, obvious areas during part of the season, but I've never seen it as crowded as, say, the Snowies. As it gets later in the season, access can be an issue as certain routes (Esterbrook Rd and Bear Creek to name a few) drift closed and the whole place becomes pretty brutal and desolate. I keep putting in for area 7 bull tags because after a few years of hiking all over that place I'm pretty confident I can find a few of them if I can just draw the damned tag again.

As for wolves, I was up hiking into a spot one morning in November of '17 when I heard wolves howling. I meantioned it to a G&F agent when I got back to town, and he stated that there had been a few confirmed sightings in that area. I've got a co-worker who lives up in the Veedauwoo area, and took a picture of what he's sure is a wolf next to one of his fences... I rib him about his Lassie picture, but it's pretty clearly not a dog.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 02/07/19.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My buddy's family owns 100+ acres up top just shy of Esterbrook. Wolves on trail cam often

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Magnum, I'll be sure and get in touch with you.

I decided to put in for the draw in Unit 7 and I should draw it.

I thought hard about 16 but ultimately didn't think I could draw it. It was possible but there aren't many NR tags so if a fwe people ahead of me decided to put in for it, I wouldn't get it. I wanted a more sure thing. 122 and 23 both were options but I just didn't have enough intel about those units and didn't feel as good about those as I did on Unit 7.

I'd like to see a wolf and might even get a crack at one. That would be a great bonus to me and to the local ranchers and elk!

I really appreciate all the help and advice guys. I'll send you a PM Magnum.

Thanks!
Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1lessdog, 1234, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.