Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know reloading isn’t about speed but about precision.
what have you done or certain tool that make your experience better or faster??

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you need speed or volume, buy a progressive.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lee Perfect

This. Meters great with every powder that I have tried, except Red Dot. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Dillon 650, rcbs chargemaster, little crow and giraud trimmers, hornady one shot

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dre

I got past thinking I need to weigh every powder charge for every rifle cartridge I make.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

I use a progressive 650 for almost everything and even my 6 PPC will shoot as good as I can when loaded like that. More time is wasted on individual nuances of loading than they are worth...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Dillon Square Deal B for all my handgun loads

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JDS Quick Measure

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I use a progressive 650 for almost everything and even my 6 PPC will shoot as good as I can when loaded like that. More time is wasted on individual nuances of loading than they are worth...

If you showed up at a benchrest match with your 6 PPC and your progressive 650, I guarantee you would be the only one there with that set-up !!!!!!!
I would bet my last dollar you would be on the bottom half of the leader board at any NBRSA or IBS match, close to last if you went pre-loaded !!!!!
Some things are worth the "individual nuances"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One thing? RCBS chargemaster. Charges are thrown short, and then trickled up.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dre

I learned years ago to use a few single stage presses for rifle shooting. They can be configured at the beginning of a session to do different jobs. This set up doesn't suit every reloading situation, but works well for most.

For example, whether you full length or neck resize rifle cartridges, one press is for resizing. Another would seat bullets. A third for crimping, neck flaring, adding powder, or crimping, if required. Having a few presses gives you versatility and should one press break, you have others. I have an old Lee 2001 press that has a universal depcapper on it. It's probably there permanently,. It hasn't been off that press for over 20 years.

If you like to call them auxiliary presses, they do not all have to be the best that money can buy. Used presses from gun shows are a great source of extra presses. I have a 3x3 table in my office that I use quite a bit, so you don't need a huge area.

[Linked Image]

I also have a Rockchucker and a Lubrisizer on a bench grinder stand. It is sturdy, but doesn't take up as much room as the bench in my basement.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatanchor

If you showed up at a benchrest match with your 6 PPC and your progressive 650, I guarantee you would be the only one there with that set-up !!!!!!!
I would bet my last dollar you would be on the bottom half of the leader board at any NBRSA or IBS match, close to last if you went pre-loaded !!!!!

I never said anything about a match. I bet you wouldn’t be competitive at one of those matches no matter what you did to load your ammunition and you wouldn’t outshoot me on a prairie dog field either...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could use factory ammunition.

Sorry, just being a wiseacre...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Dre

I got past thinking I need to weigh every powder charge for every rifle cartridge I make.

Youve said this for a long time now. Im finally listening and buying powders that drop very consistently from the uni-flo. No need to use a progressive like someone else suggested, when you can easily pump out 300/hour on a single stage.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
....300/hr on a single stage. Hmmm, Most people say to expect 3-400 on the Dillon 550 (the 550 is rounds per hour, according to Dillon) 300/hr... on a single stage... that's a press stroke every 6 seconds if that's all you did. Not much time to do other things, like lubing, priming, dropping powder. All pretty important things.

I feel pretty good to get 120-130 using the primer on the press, powder drop, and one-shot... wish I was cranking out 300, so I"m going progressive, and I only shoot about 3500-4000 rounds a year (90% of that is pistol). I'ld rather be shooting than loading.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LJBass
....300/hr on a single stage. Hmmm, Most people say to expect 3-400 on the Dillon 550 (the 550 is rounds per hour, according to Dillon) 300/hr... on a single stage... that's a press stroke every 6 seconds if that's all you did. Not much time to do other things, like lubing, priming, dropping powder. All pretty important things.

I feel pretty good to get 120-130 using the primer on the press, powder drop, and one-shot... wish I was cranking out 300, so I"m going progressive, and I only shoot about 3500-4000 rounds a year (90% of that is pistol). I'ld rather be shooting than loading.

Agreed...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I never said anything about a match. I bet you wouldn’t be competitive at one of those matches no matter what you did to load your ammunition and you wouldn’t outshoot me on a prairie dog field either...

I was trying to make the point that some advanced reloading techniques cant be done on a progressive that absolutely matter on some cartridges. I would never load pistol ammo on anything but a progressive, AR ammo etc. but when you say 6 PPC on your progressive is "as good", I don't buy it and apparently I hurt your feelers by stating the truth....sure sorry about that.

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any one use the Hornady case prep trio? Or is there something else out there that is similar?
I have also thought about getting the RCBS charge master. Anyone tried the new Franklin arsenal?
https://youtu.be/SCgtfxXlhTU

Last edited by Dre; 02/11/19.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Giraud and Auto Charge/Trickler help make the schitty parts less so, but the 550 is the front runner.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I was trying to make the point that some advanced reloading techniques cant be done on a progressive that absolutely matter on some cartridges. I would never load pistol ammo on anything but a progressive, AR ammo etc. but when you say 6 PPC on your progressive is "as good", I don't buy it and apparently I hurt your feelers by stating the truth....sure sorry about that.

You can’t hurt my feelings by not paying attention to what is said.

I load my 6mm PPC to a standard that you can achieve with a progressive reloader because it is accurate enough for what I use it for, which is not bench rest competition. Cleaning primer pockets, flash holes, hand priming cases, annealing and other reloading techniques are usually wasted time for the vast majority of shooters.

Many do use those steps in their reloading regimen, but any benefit is negligible unless you are preparing ammunition for some competitive use, and progressive loaders were never made or sold to produce that kind of ammunition.

Be careful who you want to criticize or correct when your reading/comprehension inhibits your understanding of what is being said. A 6mm PPC isn’t always shot in competition, yet it can still exhibit more than acceptable accuracy by basic reloading practices. A 6mm PPC isn’t the only rifle that can perform that way, it is just an example of how good progressive reloaders can produce ammunition that will give more than acceptable results without all the steps that many think are necessary to get those results...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
209 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.