Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Yep, my old Cabela’s Alaskan Guide freighter is still the most comfortable hauler I own. I’ve tried to replace it a couple times with dual-use pack-haulers and end up disappointed in the comfort. Still looking...At least I own a frame that handles heavy loads comfortably. Sometimes they get it right the first time, albeit 25 years ago.
😎

I believe most of us have that same frame

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

It takes two horses to carry a bull out. The only bone we leave in is the femurs. A horse can carry a three hundred pound man pretty well. But 200 lb of dead weight on a pack saddle is a pretty hard and fast rule. Unless you are packing on a Belgian, I suppose. Never saw anybody try that.

She's not a Belgian, but my Percheron cross has carried a few bulls out in one trip. 4 quarters, tender loins, back straps, and horns. Bone in. Doesn't seem to even be a little bit of an issue. I guess none of them were the World's biggest bulls. One was my busted up 6 point from this fall. There are actually quite a few drafts and draft crosses being used to ride and pack or both like mine. Crosses are kind of a fad right now, but outfitters have been using them for years.

I've packed more than a few loads on full percherons. Only real issue is I'm 5'9" and the tops of those loads is a lot higher than that.

I'd rather have two for it but one if big enough and in shape can and does do the job.
Is that Percheron cross the one you're going to plant me on for sheep? wink

No she's too gentle for you. You'd get bored.

Last edited by Ralphie; 02/11/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

It takes two horses to carry a bull out. The only bone we leave in is the femurs. A horse can carry a three hundred pound man pretty well. But 200 lb of dead weight on a pack saddle is a pretty hard and fast rule. Unless you are packing on a Belgian, I suppose. Never saw anybody try that.

She's not a Belgian, but my Percheron cross has carried a few bulls out in one trip. 4 quarters, tender loins, back straps, and horns. Bone in. Doesn't seem to even be a little bit of an issue. I guess none of them were the World's biggest bulls. One was my busted up 6 point from this fall. There are actually quite a few drafts and draft crosses being used to ride and pack or both like mine. Crosses are kind of a fad right now, but outfitters have been using them for years.

I've packed more than a few loads on full percherons. Only real issue is I'm 5'9" and the tops of those loads is a lot higher than that.

I'd rather have two for it but one if big enough and in shape can and does do the job.
Is that Percheron cross the one you're going to plant me on for sheep? wink

No she's too gentle for you. You'd get bored.
You greatly overestimate my ability to sit a horse...and to draw a sheep tag!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One year old next month with their packs on for the first time today. 5 Marc Warnke signature series kid packs and two 20-25 year old Caprine Supply packs from when I was a kid.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’s cool! And... If times get tuff, there’s goat fer supper laugh

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Those little destructive bastards make me smile.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bet U dollar 2 do nuts

Them goats would taste better than the elk they are packing!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Those little destructive bastards make me smile.

They crack my ass up with all the funny shtuff they do. But yeah they can be hard on things to say the least.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What’s the trick to keeping them following along, tether them? My luck as a first time Shepherd, I would have these suckers scattered all over a mountain side to the point I’d be so frustrated, I just start shooting them hoping some would get the message that Noah ain’t playing around with loading the Ark. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What’s the trick to keeping them following along, tether them? My luck as a first time Shepherd, I would have these suckers scattered all over a mountain side to the point I’d be so frustrated, I just start shooting them hoping some would get the message that Noah ain’t playing around with loading the Ark. 😎

You might not have the genetics for shepherding.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Bet U dollar 2 do nuts

Them goats would taste better than the elk they are packing!

I've eaten a lot of both. There really isn't much difference between them assuming the meat is properly cared for. Both are very low in fat since they don't marble.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Bottle feeding. They are bonded to me and so far at least, wouldn’t think of getting out of sight. Only time I’ve ever leashes them was for training creek crossing. I’ve yet to tie them up at night for camping but that is coming. They come when called too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by exbiologist

Bottle feeding. They are bonded to me and so far at least, wouldn’t think of getting out of sight. Only time I’ve ever leashes them was for training creek crossing. I’ve yet to tie them up at night for camping but that is coming. They come when called too.

Here's an interesting contrast between goats and llamas. The WORST thing you can do with a baby male llama is get it bonded to you. Males that bond later get what's called Berserk Llama Syndrome. Males constantly fight for dominance and they play rough. At about 18 months, they start hitting sexual maturity and they start the dominance fighting. If they've bonded, they can't differentiate between people and other llamas and they will fight the people, too. It's a pain at best and they can get dangerous. Castrating doesn't help and they never get over it.

I have one of them like that. I took him off the hands of a young couple with kids before someone got hurt. He was 2 at the time. I told them that I'd try to make a packer out of him but if I failed, we'd eat him. They were glad to see him go. He's big and has turned into a pretty decent packer but I never take my eyes off of him in the pasture. He could chest bump me and knock me flat. He's twice my weight. I treat him rough and he respects me. He'll try to get in my way when I'm doing something and I knee him in the belly. I've whacked him with a stick many times. Llamas constantly push, bite, and spit at each other so I'm not doing anything they don't do themselves. I put up with his nonsense because he's a good packer but I always keep him in the lead where I can control him. You don't put your best llama in the lead. You put the worst one there where you have him in hand if he pulls any stunts. You put the best one in back somewhere where he can help keep the others in line.

This might turn off some people to llamas but it's just a matter of learning the animals before you get into it. A llama raised normally will never get this. It's bottle fed ones or ones that are handled a lot as babies that are the problem. You can halter train a baby without a problem. It's the petting and cuddling that brings it on. Let Mama raise him normally and you'll never see it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a classic example of what a Berserk llama will do. A normal llama won't come up to you like this one is at the beginning. The action starts in the 2d half. It's titled 'Funny llama attack' but there's nothing funny about it. It's a defective llama and a dangerous situation.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No doubt goats can be as dangerous, especially with horns. I’ve flipped two of mine to discipline them. It’s apparently a centuries old technique to reassert dominance without hitting them. Hitting them often just antagonizes them into more head butting. Both flips were for minor offenses but things that could lead to dangerous situations if left unchecked. I have no concerns with my 2.5 year old son amongst the goats yet, but things could develop, as with any animal and it’s worth keeping an eye on.
But unlike horses and llamas, bottle fed goats rarely need to be lead, they will follow you anywhere.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like they are a lot like Democrats.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some llama packers will turn them loose to graze but I haven't had the nerve to try it. Sometime I might try turning a couple loose with 20' leads and keeping the rest tethered. They stick together pretty well so a couple likely won't go far.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Usually my back is my best hauler...😂
I've completely trashed my last backpack.

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kifaru tactical frame and AMR.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Usually my back is my best hauler...😂
I've completely trashed my last backpack.

[Linked Image]

Gofundme Page needed for Sal, so he can get a Kifaru hauler. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

140 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260madman, 27 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,471
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.