Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Should my practice tips be the same weight as my broadheads?

I found my broadheads were hitting lower on the target than they were with practice tips.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They should weigh the same, if they do and the BH's hit low...then the bow needs tuned by moving nock point.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Bwana. Headed to Bass Pro Shops tomorrow for a tune-up and arrows.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Ugggh - good luck - "most" box stores don't have a great staff in the archery counter, the staff turn-over is too high for they pay.

Yes - there are exceptions, but IMHO, you'd be better served finding a good archery Pro Shop in your area, and working with them.

When you say "practice tips", are you talking about the field points? Yes, they should be the same weight as your broadheads.

What broadheads are you shooting? Some typically fly better than others, and some need a solid tune to fly true.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was disappointed with my "local" (30 min away) archery shop. I got the prima donna vibe from the counter help when all I was looking for is a little guidance and advice as I paid 50 bucks for 5 arrows. They acted like I wasn't worth their time. I won't be back.

Bass Pro in my area has helped my son considerably with his new bow. All at no extra charge.

I appreciate the tips and insight from you folks.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome to the ranks of the Archers. If we can help, just ask. wink
And yes, tip weights should match for consistency in your aiming vs impact points. Also, different types of broadheads can make differences to the flight path of your arrows. I found I did not like the flat two edged broadheads with crosscut bleeders. They tended to drift off target for me. I found better accuracy with an inexpensive mechanical called silver strikes. Other folks have thier own favorites of course.
If the difference is small, they do make weighted washers to adjust lighter tips to match your heavier tips,

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on matching weights of practice tips and hunting broadheads. Still I practice on a very thick target made for stopping broadheads without damage. It doesn't take to many shots to confirm your yardage pins. I notice differences between practice arrows and broadheads out to 60 yds. Closer not so much, but put some distance in that group and it changes. I can only shoot 60 yds on my property.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Morewood
Thanks, Bwana. Headed to Bass Pro Shops tomorrow for a tune-up and arrows.

Last place I would go. But I guess if it is all you got then why not. Guys that actually know what they are doing get hired on at archery shops. Though a few good ones do slip through the cracks and find themselves at the box stores.

Yes your field points should be the same weight as your broad heads. If your broad heads are heavier then you field points of course they are going to hit lower.

How is your impacts left to right field points vs broad heads?

I recommend a high FOC it will help keep your arrow straighter in the wind, it will give you better penetration also.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Ill be glad to help you out. I know a little bit about bows lol. As has been stated, yes field points and broadheads need to be of same weight. Arrow flight wether with field points or broadheads all comes down to how well your bow is tuned. There should be zero adjustments needed when switching from field points to whatever broadhead you wish to shoot...as long as weight is same. No bow adjustments. No sight adjustments.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

What you are looking at is broadhead tuning, it's a way to fine tune your bow. Chances of Bass Pro helping are slim.

Check if your BH are grouping, that's step 1. If they are then you dont' have other issues! It's then simple adjustments. You can usually do them more easily with rest than the knock point. And the adjustments are SMALL, like 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch. Shoot again, see what happens, repeat.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Moving the rest is a "band aid" for tuning issues. I get that its sometimes the only option if you dont have the equipment to do it properly yourself or have a shop nearby that you trust. You can "make it work" but that doesnt make it right

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when you talk broadheads are you going to use mechanical broadheads, mechanicals do fly like field points if you use same weight heads. or are you going to use fixed blade broadheads ? and thats a whole different tuning and most of the time not very easy,but i like both types of broadheads.if your right handed most of the time your fixed blade broadheads fly to left 3-5 inches from your field points at 20 yards ,if your left handed fixed blade broadheads fly to the right 3-5 inches different than field points at 20 yards. sometimes it is possible to get both tuned to hit in same place. weather and wind can change everything too and thats why we all enjoy archery its just never easy,after over 55 years with a drawn bow for me hunting and competing in archery i hope you enjoy archery as much as i have. archery has a good - bad and a ugly side too. be safe & good luck Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
when you talk broadheads are you going to use mechanical broadheads, mechanicals do fly like field points if you use same weight heads. or are you going to use fixed blade broadheads ? and thats a whole different tuning and most of the time not very easy,but i like both types of broadheads.if your right handed most of the time your fixed blade broadheads fly to left 3-5 inches from your field points at 20 yards ,if your left handed fixed blade broadheads fly to the right 3-5 inches different than field points at 20 yards. sometimes it is possible to get both tuned to hit in same place. weather and wind can change everything too and thats why we all enjoy archery its just never easy,after over 55 years with a drawn bow for me hunting and competing in archery i hope you enjoy archery as much as i have. archery has a good - bad and a ugly side too. be safe & good luck Pete53

Interesting. My fixed blades on a bareshaft fly to same exact poi as a fletched field point at 20yds. All in the tune of the bow.

Custom Strings/Tuning
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Originally Posted by pete53

Interesting. My fixed blades on a bareshaft fly to same exact poi as a fletched field point at 20yds. All in the tune of the bow.

good for you my Zwickey broadheads don`t fly as true, but they sure have killed alot of animals over many years.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bet I haven't shot a field point in 30 plus years. But here's my take on it. It doesn't really matter if your field points and broad heads are exactly the same weight or not. It doesn't even matter if they hit the same place or not. Because in practicality there is no real need to be shooting them at the same time anyway imo.

Learn to tune your bow for good arrow flight, with field points to begin with, and then stick with them. Work on muscle development and memory, shooting form, smooth consistent release, and learning to estimate yardage. You don,t need to shoot broad heads to achieve that. Start way before bow season opens. Practice and practice some more. Practice from an elevated position if that's how you plan on hunting.

When you get closer to the season put your field points up, your done with them. Start shooting the broad heads that you plan on hunting with and tune your bow to them. Keep enough fresh heads that fly well to keep in your quiver. Use three or four of the same type to practice with. If you get your fundamentals down solid early on, it doesn't take a lot of practice to continue shooting well with a modern compound bow using sites.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If broadheads(fixed or mech) wont fly to same poi as field points...you have tuning issues. Done correctly there should be NO adjustments needed when switching between the two. Not to the bow or the sights. Tune is everything. Yes there are a few broadheads that dont follow the script. But the list is short. Proper tuning is much more than poking a hole in a sheet of paper. Ive set up and tuned probably close to 1k bows from all over this country. Even bows from AK and HI. So ive done this a time or two. But you boys carry on

Custom Strings/Tuning
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
If broadheads(fixed or mech) wont fly to same poi as field points...you have tuning issues. Done correctly there should be NO adjustments needed when switching between the two. Not to the bow or the sights. Tune is everything. Yes there are a few broadheads that dont follow the script. But the list is short. Proper tuning is much more than poking a hole in a sheet of paper. Ive set up and tuned probably close to 1k bows from all over this country. Even bows from AK and HI. So ive done this a time or two. But you boys carry on

Sometimes there is just no getting through to people. You know the saying? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make a jackazz drink.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Copy:

My fixed blades on a bareshaft fly to same exact poi as a fletched field point at 20yds. All in the tune of the bow.

My guess is compound, cut well past center, drop away rest and using a release?

I still see quite a few old school compounds in use. Some even shot fingers.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hookeye
Copy:

My fixed blades on a bareshaft fly to same exact poi as a fletched field point at 20yds. All in the tune of the bow.

My guess is compound, cut well past center, drop away rest and using a release?

I still see quite a few old school compounds in use. Some even shot fingers.

Fingers is my mainstay!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Fingers

[Linked Image]

Fingers

[Linked Image]

Fingers

[Linked Image]

Fingers

[Linked Image]

Once and a while Release

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.