Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by broomd
I have a freezer full of fresh walleye, northern and jumbo yellow perch fillets. They are all frozen in water and taste-wise they are in a class by themselves.

With halibut the larger fish don't have the flavor or texture, but smaller ones, especially fresh can be excellent. Halibut is a fantastic meat.
Cooking is crucial, but that applies to most meats..

Laughing here! Have eatem much walleye, perch, and pike, both fresh and (yuk!)frozen. It is not in the same universe with fresh rockfish, lingcod, or any number of other saltwater fish.

Halibut is good fish, but it is just not in a league with truly good fish.

And I'll regard your opinion the same way I always do....

Anyone that thinks that jumbo yellow perch and walleye from far northern Ontario are somehow inferior is nuts. I'll put a cold-water walleye shore lunch against any fish, from anywhere in the world. Alaska has some excellent ocean fish choices, but none taste like a fresh-caught walleye.
Not to mention the ridiculously meager ling and rockfish limits.

Back on topic, love the sheefish......quick to strike, a blast to catch, and even better to eat.

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pass me the catfish...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I have a freezer full of fresh walleye, northern and jumbo yellow perch fillets. They are all frozen in water and taste-wise they are in a class by themselves.

With halibut the larger fish don't have the flavor or texture, but smaller ones, especially fresh can be excellent. Halibut is a fantastic meat.
Cooking is crucial, but that applies to most meats..

Laughing here! Have eatem much walleye, perch, and pike, both fresh and (yuk!)frozen. It is not in the same universe with fresh rockfish, lingcod, or any number of other saltwater fish.

Halibut is good fish, but it is just not in a league with truly good fish.

I agree pass me the Ling cod, Rockfish, and Halibut cheeks. Salmon is King to me.

Rockfish tastes dirty to me, and lingcod is too mushy. I like halibut for my white meat when I want white meat which isn't too often. I'm guessing we go though 70lbs a year. I eat so much salmon that I have to patty it up anymore with a bunch of stuff in it.

I really need to bust out the smoker for the halibut. Got a buddy who smokes and jars halibut. Makes the best spread I've ever had.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Calvin, I'd love that recipe.
I've tried smoking butt a couple times, but wasn't satisfied with the results. Canning it to use like tuna is pretty good though. Halibut sandwiches aren't all that bad.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You been hammering the kings Joel? $13/lb is pretty good money if you can catch a few.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by FishinHank
You been hammering the kings Joel? $13/lb is pretty good money if you can catch a few.

Wouldn't exactly call it hammering. Good days and bad days with the occasional swing and a complete miss. Ran three hours in the dark this morning, fished for 7 hours, then bucked a good chop for three hours home without a fish to be home by dinner.. (grin) Last week was pretty good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by FishinHank

Wouldn't exactly call it hammering. Good days and bad days with the occasional swing and a complete miss. Ran three hours in the dark this morning, fished for 7 hours, then bucked a good chop for three hours home without a fish to be home by dinner.. (grin) Last week was pretty good.

10-4 I tried to take my boat out today but it was a little more than I wanted to deal with so I came back. I really want to get out there and drag some herring for a king. Winter kings are the best

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Goes to show that we all have different taste in food. I have never acquired a taste for salmon. I "love" halibut, walleye are ok. The hybrid bluegill out of my fishing pond are great. Catfish are OK. Trout of different varieties are edible and I like Mahi Mahi.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Once we had yellow perch, we wondered why all the fuss over walleye... I"ll take the perch any day...

We love yellow catfish, out of flowing water, about 10-20 pound fish max size, for deep frying.

Like Halibut so far. Have not had the pleasure YET of rockfish etc...

Salmon is ok, but we've never had really green salmon, always on a spawning run so far.

I do want to learn how to can, I've had some really good canned salmon and halibut but have never had a recipe, no clue what to do.

Also want to learn to smoke them... all we've ever smoked is sausage and jerky. LOL. Catfish that we have here are a bit oily to smoke IMHO. But we've never tried so...

Tuna goes raw or rare. Mahi Mahi rare is good too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I gotta agree with Art on halibut.....I consider it for people that don't like fish......tasteless and dense.
I grew up in walleye, perch and crappie country and enjoy all of em but I'll still take some of our rockfish
for my favorites.......that is until I can get a smaller Cubera Snapper.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Just to stir the pot, I'll throw in fresh cold-water burbot as a favorite. For you suthrin boys, that is a (the only?) fresh water cod, found in more northern parts. Had them in NoDak, caught the crap out of them fall, winter, and especially spring when they came up into the Knife and Missouri rivers to spawn. They don't keep well in the freezer, tho - developing a (surprise!) cod-fish oil taste after a few weeks. Only once did I catch one during the summer- I guess they retire to deep cold water in the reservoirs, is my guess.

Carp and catfish you can keep. And we ate a lot of catfish (muddy taste) when I was growing up. Preferred sauger, walleye, perch, bluegills, or pike (from cold water) - pike can get a bit muddy tasting from warmer waters. Which reminds me - I have onecaught in Interior from this summer yet to eat...

Moving to Alaska, it took me awhile to develop a taste for salmon.

Wisconsin sister and BIL won't toudh it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There's plenty of salmon that I don't care for. You certainly couldn't sell it to me in a restaurant. King or sockeye, I would take over flatfish in a heartbeat, the rest is great smoked, but pretty tough for me to take out of the freezer.

This thread has me wanting to catch a sheefish.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Calvin

Rockfish tastes dirty to me, and lingcod is too mushy.

That's kind of sad.
Good thing you don't have many of either around, huh? smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Once we had yellow perch, we wondered why all the fuss over walleye... I"ll take the perch any day...

That's exactly how my wife thinks. I can be yanking 7-8 pound walleye into the boat and she's trying to finesse those jumbo yellow perch.
Regarded by many as the best tasting fish anywhere, a well-deserved reputation.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That's exactly how my wife thinks. I can be yanking 7-8 pound walleye into the boat and she's trying to finesse those jumbo yellow perch.
[Linked Image]

Bait...

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Bait...

wink

Nobody likes a one upper Art... smile

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

Bait...

wink

Nobody likes a one upper Art... smile

That was right down the middle...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Very tasty bait at that!

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,822
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.