Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mij Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Been using Graphite Black Cerakote for years on guns and I'm tired of the inconsistency of it! One day it's Matte like it should be then other days I get gloss black. I've painted hundreds of guns with this product "no joking" and you never know what you'll get with it! I have called them 4-5 times over the years and i always get the same response, well give us the lot number and we'll see if we've had any other problems with it..... low and behold, nope it's just you with the problem. Told them how i've had to repaint a lot of guns just to get the sheen right, I asked if they would help with the price if i bought the new Elite series to try? Nope, they wouldn't even cut the price on a tester for me to try....
Does anybody know of a different product that has a Matte finish that works well?
Thanks
Jim

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wear resistance with Cerakote has been totally unimpressive to me. I would not consider another try.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Powder coat is bullet proof.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cerakote is great. But it has to be applied properly

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It’s just paint regardless of spin by salesmen. For a truly tough and consistent matte black Nitride is tough to beat.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I haven't done all that many but I've had very good results with Norrells, molyresin.com .

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Most of my own personal rifles I have them bead blasted and parkerized.

Last edited by wtroger; 02/12/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I really like Birdsongs Black T

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Series 80 Top OD Green grips has Black T finish. The picture isn't the best. Its grainy but I think the finish is very good.

[Linked Image]

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
mij Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the input. Going to buy a few different ones and start testing.
Thanks
Jim

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a fan of any bake-on finish, but I'll suffer it if I have to do so. Definitely hate it on pistols. I do have a Hi-Power with Black-T, and it's okay. Hard chrome does it for me. Or just bead-blasted or brushed stainless.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
It’s just paint regardless of spin by salesmen. For a truly tough and consistent matte black Nitride is tough to beat.

Links for future reference please,

Who's doing this?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I really like Birdsongs Black T

I also have some BlackT stuff, I like it,

But it also will wear and scratch off....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I used Truetec when I worked in a gunshop. Not sure if they take individual orders as we always sent batches and had an account. Also used H&M metal coating for a while.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
To demonstrate the scratch and wear resistance of nitride I used to take a $3500 rifle off the rack and scrape my pocketknife up and down the barrel. It will dull your knife but won’t scratch the finish. No spray on that I’ve ever seen can match that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To demonstrate the scratch and wear resistance of nitride I used to take a $3500 rifle off the rack and scrape my pocketknife up and down the barrel. It will dull your knife but won’t scratch the finish. No spray on that I’ve ever seen can match that.

Nitride is not sprayed on?

So who might be doing this for the general public?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nitride is a chemical salt bath process.

Google turned up a bunch of hits on Nitride coating firearms.

PS. You’re going to want to pull the barrel. I’ve seen 2 cracked Remington recoil pugs and one Vanguard as well as one MkV with a cracked receiver ring when they were done with the barrel installed.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mij
Been using Graphite Black Cerakote for years on guns and I'm tired of the inconsistency of it! One day it's Matte like it should be then other days I get gloss black. I've painted hundreds of guns with this product "no joking" and you never know what you'll get with it! I have called them 4-5 times over the years and i always get the same response, well give us the lot number and we'll see if we've had any other problems with it..... low and behold, nope it's just you with the problem. Told them how i've had to repaint a lot of guns just to get the sheen right, I asked if they would help with the price if i bought the new Elite series to try? Nope, they wouldn't even cut the price on a tester for me to try....
Does anybody know of a different product that has a Matte finish that works well?
Thanks
Jim

Same here. Was a certified applicator and inconsistencies that you describe held true for me also. Only way I could do it was to mix a nice sized batch and line up the parts to be painted in same color. Then it started getting expensive having a few spray guns dedicated for the common colors being requested. A PITA to keep the parts super clean also!

MAGA! This is the way!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nitride is a chemical salt bath process.

Google turned up a bunch of hits on Nitride coating firearms.

PS. You’re going to want to pull the barrel. I’ve seen 2 cracked Remington recoil pugs and one Vanguard as well as one MkV with a cracked receiver ring when they were done with the barrel installed.

Just adding some more info on nitriding-

I'm an engineer for a food manufacturing company. Most everything we use is 304 or 316 SS. For parts where stainless is not an option, we'll use various carbon alloys and have them nitrided. Years later, after weekly caustic washes, they still are not rusted.

Last edited by Cheesy; 02/14/19.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Black Chrome, and Satin Hard Chrome, you will not wear it off in your life time. Bolt body's treated are perfect from 30 years ago, multiple barrels on the action.

I would also trust Cheesy's recomendation, as his application would test any and all coatings.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I don't have any issues at all. Explain your full process...

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by eddief
I don't have any issues at all. Explain your full process...
Bingo... In my experience with Eddie, there's never been an issue...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Can you run matte clear over the color coat and get a matte or satin finish?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Are you consistently measuring your two part mix, or just eyeballing? More hardener equals more gloss. I spray graphite black without issue. I'll bet s dollar to a donut that it's your mix ratio that's causing the difference in Sheen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.