Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The following rifle manufacturers chamber the 6.5 Creedmoor: Barrett, Blaser, Browning, Franchi, Howa, Mauser, Mossberg, Nosler, Remington, Sako, Sauer, Steyr, Tikka and Winchester. Then there are bunch of more limited production companies. Most report it's one of their top-selling chamberings, if not the top. Many make more than one model. Blaser, for example, makes both break-action single shots and bolt rifles.

The following companies are offering ammo: Barnes, Berger, Browning, Federal, Hornady, Hunting Shack (HSM), Norma, Nosler, Remington, Sellier & Bellot, Sig Sauer, Swift, and Winchester, plus some brands I've never heard of before.

One of my professional hunter buddies in South Africa also owns a big sporting goods store in Kimberley. He reports at least 3/4 of the new rifles he sells these days are 6.5 Creedmoors, and a friend reports the same thing from a Zimbabwe store.

Obviously the fad is fading.

You forgot Ruger!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ok others beat me to it and you were going off the top of your head. Always go off the bottom of your head! smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The following rifle manufacturers chamber the 6.5 Creedmoor: Barrett, Blaser, Browning, Franchi, Howa, Mauser, Mossberg, Nosler, Remington, Sako, Sauer, Steyr, Tikka and Winchester. Then there are bunch of more limited-production companies. Most report it's one of their top-selling chamberings, if not the top. Many make more than one model. Blaser, for example, makes both break-action single shots and bolt rifles.

The following companies are offering ammo: Barnes, Berger, Browning, Federal, Hornady, Hunting Shack (HSM), Norma, Nosler, Remington, Sellier & Bellot, Sig Sauer, Swift, and Winchester, plus some brands I've never heard of before.

One of my professional hunter buddies in South Africa also owns a big sporting goods store in Kimberley. He reports at least 3/4 of the new rifles he sells these days are 6.5 Creedmoors, and a friend reports the same thing from a Zimbabwe store.

Obviously the fad is fading.

Yep, szihn and Yoder409 really nailed it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, in fairness, part of my job is to keep up with trends (not fads, trends), partly so I know what many readers will be interested in. That's not the job of most hunters.

While I don't think the 6.5 Creedmoor is the greatest cartridge ever, I decided to start investigating it when the round was still hanging around three years after its introduction in 2007, and in fact apparently starting to become more popular. (I usually wait a little on new rounds, because some do turned out to be momentary fads.) But after doing considerably investigating, I understand why it's become so popular, especially among hunters buying a first rifle, whether for themselves or others in their familiy. Many older hunters obviously don't feel the need.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Many seem to need to invent spurious reasons to not like it, rather than simply admitting it just doesn't tickle their fancy.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's angst (and low T) on the part of some posters.

Live and let live.

For the rest, here's the late Joan Crawford demonstrating angst. It's a mix of fear, anxiety and not enough broccoli.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one because I dig the light recoil. Even my .257 bee starts to kick after a while, not to mention the hot barrel after a 4 or 5 shot string. I joined a private range that goes to 550 yards and it is a lot of fun to swing plates with it. A 1k range is in the works. I have other chamberings to choose from but the 6.5CM is just new to me.

Those long skinny bullets are sexy, like long legs in a short skirt.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I once spent what was essentially an 8-hour work day shooting steel out to 1000 yards with a 6.5 CM. Dunno how many rounds got used up, but it was enough that I wouldn't have wanted to do it with anything that kicked much more!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a fun day at work! If it's not fun to shoot, it stops being fun. I love my 6mm Rem for the same reason. I keep the .257 bee for the bean fields now.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I once spent what was essentially an 8-hour work day shooting steel out to 1000 yards with a 6.5 CM. Dunno how many rounds got used up, but it was enough that I wouldn't have wanted to do it with anything that kicked much more!

Dang, what do you do for vacation, go sit at a desk somewhere?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It means "Marketing Stroke of Genius."

It's right up there with "Tactical !" You want something to sell just hang the tag "Tactical" on it. Creedmore is almost as good.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/11/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Filaman
It means "Marketing Stroke of Genius."

It's right up there with "Tactical !" You want something to sell just hang the tag "Tactical" on it. Creedmore is almost as good.

I'm guessing anyone who spells it "Creedmore" is Creed-less.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
smokepole,

Once in a great while my wife and I go on vacation to a city, where we can sample good restaurants and do some touristing. Often, though, we combine it with work. A good example took place 2007. I had been invited to test some Heym rifles on a "cull" hunt on the estate of the last British earl in Ireland, and Eileen had just read in one of the cooking magazines she's subscribes to that Cork was one of the new centers of European cuisine, because of then-booming Irish economy. Cork is Ireland's major seaport from Europe, and so many people had moved there from other countries that fine restaurants of all sorts had sprung up. So she got permission to accompany me if we paid for her plane ticket, and we spent several days in Cork eating and touristing, which was great. Among other places, it turned out one of the highest-rated Spanish tapas restaurants anywhere was across the street from our hotel. Spent most of an afternoon there, sampling food and wine. And it turned out Heym was also eager to have her field-test one of their rifles, so she did!

These days we don't travel long-distance nearly as much, having pretty much had our fill of airports and the other hassles. But we do take off now and then to do the same sort of eating/touristing somewhere close enough to drive to.

Other than that, we do both work pretty hard, Eileen at writing game cookbooks and running our website. I usually write a couple hours in the mornings, then do other "work" stuff for the rest of the day, whether shooting, handloading, taking photos, or whatever. Our local rod and gun club, where we're life members, has a great range that includes everything from shotgun sports to a 1000-yard rifle range with dozens of gongs. Oh, and we both hunt pretty hard during the work-week at the right time of year. (We try to take weekends off, like other people.) Over the years we've taken antelope, mule and whitetailed deer, elk, black bears, moose and bighorn sheep less than an hour's drive from our house; this year Eileen got her deer within 5 minutes our our front door, while I got mine 10 minutes away. Also have eight of the 10 Montana upland birds nearby, and a big river and reservoir for waterfowling.

John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
OMG Grammar Master has found me again!!! OK Creedmoor (or less)

Last edited by Filaman; 02/12/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As to the original question:

creed: a statement of essential beliefs

moor: open usually swampy wasteland

While the first seems very fitting, I am not sure how to apply the second.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Openly stating your essential beliefs may lead the conversation into the swampy wasteland of the beliefs of others.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the interesting aspects about the whole Creedmoor debate is how many anti-Creedmoor people say they don't need or want one, but are constantly bombarded by pro-Creedmoor pushers. Do they PM you on the Campfire? Ring your doorbell like a local politician and launch into a Creedmoor campaign speech? Do they stand on street corners and pass out Creedmoor screeds while shouting to attract a crowd?

In my experience, anti-Creedmoorites are far more likely to spontaneously break into a lecture, when the vast majority have exactly zero experience with the round.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
as a gun dealer i am glad people want to buy a new cartridge rifle,scope ,ammo whatever its more money in my pocket, far as a Creedmoor its been a cash cow for me. hopefully here in America someone comes up with another new "koolaid"cartridge with a interesting name.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This gets posted occasionally, but it's perfect for this thread. Live and let live.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.