Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
When setting up the 35P (or any other light-screen chronograph) I use the method suggested in the directions, I believe written by Ken Oehler himself:

Set up your rifle on bags, aimed at the downrange target you'll be shooting. Then, with the rifle unloaded and bolt open, set up the chronograph, aligning it while looking over the screens at the muzzle/scope of the rifle. This is quicker than any other method I've tried.

+1

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used an Oehler 35P for years. I've even had it refurbished. Don't know I could be competent reloader without it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Huge setup aid I use.... My skyscreens are permanently mounted in a long narrow plywood box with a snap on lid. All parts are stored inside. The box is easily attached at the range to a single large camera tripod (also stored in the box). A round bubble level inside the box is a further help.

Last edited by Blackbrush; 02/13/19.
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Blackbrush ,
How about some pictures and dimensions ?

Thank you .

Soup

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 35p that is the old two screen setup with the metal diffusers, I keep threatening to update it to a three screen, the head unit will handle that. Think I bought it around 1989-90. It's always matched up well against other chronos and read 99% of what I shot thru it, it either reads it or doesn't. It is mounted on a piece of conduit tubing, 4ft spacing. Takes a moment to snap onto a tripod. I can usually set it up on a target change no problem, Once in a while have to adjust it at another change. I usually put it out first along with a target and then set up stuff on the bench and adjust if necessary next change. Also have a magnetospeed, works pretty well. Had it for 3-4 yrs now, only just tried it for the first time a few wks ago at an indoor range , rather use the 35P, easier to set up. Seeing as I have the 35p, I can't justify the Labradar for myself. It's cheaper to buy 3 new screens & diffusers for the 35p.

IC B2

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
TTT

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Perhaps I should note that my 35P is the model reintroduced a few years ago. Ordered one as soon as it was announced, and have never regretted it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MD, that’s what I did too.
Soup, I have seen a few Oehlers that were mounted for single tripod use and they were not very stable. Most of the time they just shot 2-3 rounds and put it away mainly because they would rock or turn in the wind. It’s kinda hard to stabilize a 4 ft wind grabber on a 1.5” square.

Swifty
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have had my Oehler 35 for over 20 years. I bought the version without the printer, but with the three sky screens and proof channel. A few years ago, I called Oehler and ordered the printer and added it to my chronograph. I added the light kit shortly after I bought it, to use at an indoor range, it works well and adds to the versatility.

I zip tied and wire conduit loomed the cables together to keep them clean, neat and easy to connect. I don't find it difficult or time consuming to set up, not sure what people are doing that say this is an issue.

I and some friends have shot the sky screen housings and diffuser assembly. I have been able to rebuild them with the kits Oehler sells, but the last one with the .500 S&W Magnum required an entire new assembly.

I had an issue with false or no readings when shooting T/C Contenders. Before I upgraded to the printer, I had the control box on the shooting bench and would write down the velocity of each individual shot. The muzzle blast shook the control box, Oehler told me to take the box off the bench and move it further away. This corrected the issue.

It has been one of the best gun accessories I have purchased, expanding my enjoyment and knowledge of shooting and reloading.

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you for your reply .

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used a Shooting Chrony for years but got wise to its shortcomings and bought a used 35P some years ago. It's bigger and bulkier and takes a few minutes longer to set up, but if you're gonna putz around with a chronograph at all you may as well putz around with one that gives you not only good velocities, but meaningful stats also. That said, I think a Labradar would be much simpler to set up and use, but it has its own idiosyncrasies.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
When setting up the 35P (or any other light-screen chronograph) I use the method suggested in the directions, I believe written by Ken Oehler himself:

Set up your rifle on bags, aimed at the downrange target you'll be shooting. Then, with the rifle unloaded and bolt open, set up the chronograph, aligning it while looking over the screens at the muzzle/scope of the rifle. This is quicker than any other method I've tried.

I would add one thing to that. I use a 15 ft length of jute (string) tied or taped to the barrel of the rifle. When you are setting up the chronograph, pull the string out straight and align the chrono/screens along that line. The string gives you both a straight line and height. You might prefer to tie the string to your rest. Either way, the string makes short work of aligning everything.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
TTT

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A

Never read the instructions, a talent I learned from my wife, but I always set up my 35P that way, always taped the wires together, always put different colored tape on each wire and that helps set the front to the front and the rear to the rear and other thing I always do, is put a couple of long sand bags across the main beam to hold the balance, which also assists when a breeze pops up.

After having 2 over the years, I have no interest in looking further. That;s a Baby Boomer disease I am comfortable with. The shopping is done.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I've used a 35P for a long time. I built a stand from an old disc blade and a couple pieces of square tubing and a stick of conduit to hold the screens and to facilitate set up. Occasionally it fails to pick up a shot due to the sunlight or shadows. The printer does not advance the paper and I do it by hand. I think there are repairs that I could make but I just use it as is. I'm happy enough with it.

lightman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Soup
Blackbrush ,
How about some pictures and dimensions ?

Thank you .

Soup

Sorry, just saw this. I'm not a picture poster but I'll see what I can do.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Perhaps I should note that my 35P is the model reintroduced a few years ago. Ordered one as soon as it was announced, and have never regretted it.

I had one for 20 years. It was the best shooting tool I can think of. I wish I hadn't sold it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (222Sako, 163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.