Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I am enclosing a link to a Remington XR-100 in 22-250 Remington that is for sale on "Gunbroker".
The Rifle looks to be in VERY good condition and has a "Leupold" scope on it.
I think the XR-100 line was the best Colony Varmint Rifle that Remington ever built.
The description of the Rifle is "vague" and DOES NOT describe the Leupold scope at all (what model, what power, etc)!
SO.... I called the shop selling the Rifle scope combo yesterday and left a message for them to call me back.
The nice young sounding lady that called me back today (I was travelling at the time) relayed to me that the Leupold was a straight 50 (fifty!) power scope on it.
I asked her to repeat that and she did.
Anyway I have several Remington XR-100 Rifles (six of them) and each and every one of them is splendidly accurate - including the one I have already in caliber 22-250!
The buy it now price is $875.00 and has been bid up to six hundred and something last time I looked at it.
If anyone is interested in an XR-100 in 22-250 Remington this seems to me to be a great candidate - no matter what that Leupold scope turns out to be - I may call the shop back tomorrow morning and get more details?

Link: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/798626141

More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
They are great rifles.
I have two that have been rebarreled, one to a 20 vartarg, the other to a 22ppc. The ppc was just rebarreled, and shoots exceptionally well. The 20 vartarg went to the PD fields last summer and worked exceptionally well.

NRA Patron
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Dale06: Do you have any insights on a Leupold "50 power" scope?
I think they make BR scopes in the 40+ power range - hadn't heard of a 50 power?
I'll look that up today.
How about the original barrels (chamberings) on those two XR-100's you own now - did they shoot well, get shot out or did you just have a hankerin for those new calibers and switched them out?
I talked my head off to ALL my Varmint shooting friends trying to get them to buy one of these Rifles back when they were a factory offering only got TWO out of the 40+ folks I Hunt with jump on'em!
Those two shooters are also extremely happy with their XR-100's (one in 204 and one in 223) and they get top notch accuracy.
My XR's are just PERFECT for me in the Colony Varmint fields - the stock fits me to a "T" and the triggers are great along with the "heavieness" of the Rifle for steady shooting - I just love them.
Good luck to you if you get to the "PD fields" this spring!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don’t have any knowledge of leupold 50x scopes. Most power I use in a scope is is 20x, for PDs. I’m not a paper puncher, beyond load development and sighting in my rifles. These rifles will get used only for PD shooting.

I bought the first one on the cheap with full intention of immediately making it into a 20 vartarg. Being a single shot, the issue of feeding from a 223/222 action was a non issue. I’ve been down that expensive road. Though if one can find a Rem 7/700 that was factory chambered in 17 or 221 fireball they can be rebarreled to a 20 VT and will function well. I have one, a sporter that I use for coyote calling.
So I had the first XR100 rebarreled with a Lilja Rem 700 varmint contour stainless barrel. But on ejection of empties, it dropped them in the action. A Sako extractor was installed and ejection is very good.
The second one is pretty much the same story. It was a 22-250 that I bought used and at a very reasonable price. The bolt face of the 22-250 is slightly larger than a ppc bolt face, but the unaltered 22-250 bolt face works just fine for the ppc cartridge. Like the 20 vartarg, this one needed a Sako extractor to make ejection 100% reliable.
I never scoped and shot either of these in their factory chambering. I bought them for a custom build and proceeded immediately.
These XR100s are in my opinion great platforms for building a custom, if a single shot is acceptable. I don’t have my data close at hand but both are easy sub 3/4” five shots at 100 yards. A skilled shooter probably could do better.

NRA Patron
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Dale06: Thank you for the explanation of those Rifles coming into being!
I had a Remington XP-100 "pistol" made into a heavy weight Varmint Rifle in caliber 6m/m Remington Bench Rest several years ago by the wonderful Riflesmith and optical engineering genius Wally Siebert.
He was able to put the XP-100 action and its extra heavy 26 1/2" stainless Hart barrel "together" without "installing" a recoil lug between the action and the barrel!
He guaranteed me this "connection" of the action and the barrel WITHOUT a recoil lug would enhance accuracy!
He was ABSOLUTELY right!
With Varmint category bullets and a Leupold 8.5x25 power variable scope this custom Varminter (weighs 13 pounds 10 ounces!) virtually always produces groups (5 shots at 100 yards) measuring .200"!
This on the windless days when I am verifying point of impact.
I only shoot this Rifle in Colony Varminting situations and again on the rare times I am verifying point of impact (sight in).
There is a "cleft" on the underside of the XP-100 action near the front that Riflesmith Siebert used as the recoil lug for my Rifle.
I also installed a wonderful Jewell trigger as a replacement for the "linkage" type trigger on the XP-100's.
I wonder if the XR-100 actions could be customized to also not need the "recoil lug" between barrel and action?
Its my understanding the XR-100 is a manifestation of the XP-100 action - I don't know for sure but I should.
Riflesmith Siebert also had to install a "Sako" extractor after smithing the bolt face of my XP-100 action as it was originally a 221 Remington Fireball.
Looking at my loading log notes I also "gave in" to Riflesmith Sieberts recommendation that the heavy long Hart barrel be "cryo" treated.
Sure shoots well.
Thanks again for the explanation of the origins of your XR-100's.
I only have one 22 P.P.C. Varminter and that is a N.I.B. unfired Ruger 77 V/T that I have owned for years - I have always been intrigued by that caliber.
Got to make up my mind on the future of that Rifle/caliber!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a Sako 75 and a Sako A1 both heavy barrel varminters in 22 ppc. Used them a number of years in Sodak and Wy. Then I was unable to go PD shooting for several years and I sold both of them. Thought I was done PDing. Fortunately I’m back in to it.
I think the 22ppc is one of the better PD cartridges, but I like the 204 Ruger better.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any/all 14" twist 22-250's are a fhuqking joke and the XR-100's are exceptional pieces of fhuqking schit.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
dip stick: You continually prove yourself an irrelevant idiot.
You are not even worth laughing at anymore.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Dale06: I agree with you completely on the splendid 204 Ruger cartridge!
I have in excess of five dozen heavy barrel centerfire Varmint Rifles in a myriad of calibers and if the 204 Ruger had been available 50+ years ago IT would be the only caliber I would use/have!
It truly is an outstanding all around Colony Varmint, Varmint and predator cartridge.
Glad to see you got back into Prairie Doggin!
Keep after'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon Reality,yet again colliding with your Fantasy. Feel free to dangle pics of your high zoot wares. Hint. LAUGHING!

Mebbe cite some 1-14" 22-250 load "particulars",if only to add oblivious humor to your Dumbfhuqktitude.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
All: Bidding is now up to $705.00 on this XR-100 Rifle and it's Leupold scope.
23 hours left - I have to make up my mind pretty quickly.
My current XR-100 in 22-250 is so amazingly accurate I should just make do with it for the duration?
But I fear that a price this pleasing may never come along again!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Watch-out everybody - don't step in any dipschitt dipstick blatherings - its hard to clean them from the bottom of your shoes!
Hint...
He-he.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
VarmintGuy, I bought a XR-100 in 22-250 brand new, before I even shot it I was overwhelmed with a fit of stupid and set everything aside except the action.
I took the action and put it into a Shehane Tracker stock and made a 6BR out of it. I still have the brand new stock and un-fired barrel if you are interested.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Boatanchor: First off please forgive my slow response - I have been trying to avoid dipstick!
Yes I guess I would be interested - might be tough matching the barrel threads to anything I have - dittos with the stock (what fits in there?) but I may someday shoot out my 22-250 barrel of my XR-100.
Anyway shoot me a PM or post the prices for each here if you wish.
Thanks again for thinking of me.
Stay warm over there.
I better send you a PM as well again pardon my slow reply.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
dipschitt dipstick: You are worthless and idiotic.
And that is sad in a way, but you are what you are.
No one can change your worthlessness but yourself.
You may be informative and entertaining to YOURSELF but you are just proving yourself more and more idiotic and useless with posts like your last one.
Again, sad!
Normally I feel sorry for idiots, but in your case you have deserved that status in life.
Sheesh.
No hints needed!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Well its sold ,anyone here buy it ?

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ironworker: Not me and I was wondering how much it sold for - the thread it was on disappeared - is that normal?
I am sure I checked the day after the auction was supposed to end and the thread was gone then.
Do you know how much it might have sold't for?
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

EDIT: I just checked again and the thread is back - the XR-100 Rifle and Leupold scope sold for $840.00!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.