Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A Tombstone Marshal's Engraved Colt SAA - Master Engraver George Spring

Hello All,

Here's an interesting story about a recently purchased Colt SAA that was owned by a Tombstone Marshal.

You may recall my recent post about my newly acquired Colt SAA Engraved Sheriff's Model and the interesting story about it. I love guns with stories..

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/13352178

Well, while researching that Colt Sheriff's Model, I ran across another Engraved Colt SAA. This one belonged to Tombstone Marshal by the name of Max Hurlbut. Interestingly, I befriended Max a few years back when I purchased a Safari Rifle that was custom built for him by Jack Lott. I've shown a short bio about Max below. You can see the rifle in the right picture. I also purchased that large Cooper Knife that he's wearing in that picture. As you will read, Max's bio is truly incredible. I am pleased to call him my friend.

[Linked Image]

In my discussions with Max, he mentioned that he had sold off most of his collectable guns in prior years at a National Auction. You can imagine my surprise when I found his Colt SAA these many years later. It was for sale by a Southern Gun Dealer. It didn't me take long to bring this fine Colt to its new home here in Wisconsin. Here are some photos.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

...... continued .......

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
......... continued .......
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When I told Max about finding his gun for sale, and that I purchased it, he wrote me a "Letter of Provenance" to go with the gun.

[Linked Image]

Marshal Max also gifted me his Original Tombstone Marshal'sBadge. It is now in the dislpay case with the gun. How cool is that!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

...........continued ............

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
...........continued ............

Fortunately, all the original documents that Marshal Max included with the gun when he sent it off for auction, have remained with this Custom SAA. That's indeed very special, since the gun was commissioned over 21 years ago. There are over 36 pages of various documents that include; The original Colt Factory Letter for this Engraved SAA serial no. TMO1,
(Tombstone Marshal's Office), Marshal Max Hurlbut's original order for this Custom Colt outlining his wants, several quotations for the job as details were updated and finalized over the many months, the original Colt invoice for the work when the gun was completed, a thank you letter to Colt and to George Spring from Marshal Max complimenting their service, a magazine article about George Spring's engraving - signed by George Spring to: Marshal Max Hurlbut, an autographed copy of the book " Tombstone Lawmen" book no. 7 of 500, signed by the author to: Marshal Max Hurlbut, copies of the "Hole in the Wall Gun Shop FFL, copies of checks sent to Colt for the guns payment, and three 8x10 photos of the completed gun. In addition, there are, several newspaper clippings detailing Marshal Max Hurlbut's clean-up of the corrupt Tombstone Marshal Office, the reason he was hired for the job as Marshal, and many other interesting documents.

Documents show the total time for this Custom build, from the day of the quote request, to the day of receiving the gun, was 1 year, 10 months, and 1 day.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased to have such complete provenance about this gun. There are too many items to picture, but I've shown a few for your interest.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are a couple of photos showing Tombstone Marshal Max Hurlbut, wearing his Custom Colt. The second photo shows his Deputy Marshalls and Dispatcher.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fine piece.

Kudos, Mr. Stix, for your success in finding fine guns with stories and evidence, thereof.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You come up with the neatest stuff. Congrats.

Seems Max is more than happy for you to be the custodian of this fine piece.

Keep up the good work, love to read your posts. They're always very interesting.

DF

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Off the scale KOOL!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Off the scale KOOL!

Xs 10

w O W

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is what I come to the Campfire to see! Congratulations and I hope you enjoy owning this revolver until someone worthy of it will have the same enthusiasm for history as you do to keep this collection together for future generations...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What a beautiful piece with great provenance. Perhaps the prettiest SAA I have ever seen. However, I must admit that I noticed that in both of the last two pictures the image of the holstered revolver looks exactly the same with regard to shadows, lighting, etc. In addition, the gun is not "in", or part of the photograph as one would expect.

Again, no intention to take anything away from a wonderful piece, but I notice what I notice.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is what I come to the Campfire to see! Congratulations and I hope you enjoy owning this revolver until someone worthy of it will have the same enthusiasm for history as you do to keep this collection together for future generations...

+1 to this. Amazing piece of history and friendship. Doesn't get much better than this.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Cole Youngers revolver is for sale on GunBroker

Buy it Now for. 185,000

Last edited by hanco; 02/13/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would be all rusted up if it were mine, as I keep drooling every time I look at the picture.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Was Max presented this revolver for some reason or did he just order it for himself??Really a standout weapon with badge and all.Thanks for posting,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
PM sent sir.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hello Ready,
Hello Dirtfarmer,
Hello jorgeI,
Hello jwall,
Hello shrapnel,
Hello shootinurse,
Hello hanco,
Hello travelingman1,
Hello Huntz,
Hello Captain,

Thank you for all the replies,

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've gotta ask: Why did he want "Tombstone AT" instead of "Tombstone AZ"?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Tombstone Arizona Territory

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BufordBoone
I've gotta ask: Why did he want "Tombstone AT" instead of "Tombstone AZ"?

Hello BufordBoone,

Thanks for the reply.

AZ is Arizona ..... AT is Arizona Territory ... Its a tradition thing ....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
What a beautiful piece with great provenance. Perhaps the prettiest SAA I have ever seen. However, I must admit that I noticed that in both of the last two pictures the image of the holstered revolver looks exactly the same with regard to shadows, lighting, etc. In addition, the gun is not "in", or part of the photograph as one would expect.

Again, no intention to take anything away from a wonderful piece, but I notice what I notice.

The shadows go different directions. Not to nit-pick, but - smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
"Arizona Territory"...a tradition thing. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the info, beautiful photos and education about someone that sounds like he's had a very interesting life.

Of course, I did a little more research and discovered he has written a book, Vagabond Policeman. I ordered it thru Amazon (Kindle edition) and look forward to reading it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,887
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.