Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We've talked about leftover Chicopee Falls barrels being used up after the move to Westfield before, but how do you explain a 1964 99F with a Chicopee Falls barrel, in .284?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/795914469

Maybe leftover isn't the right term?

LOL
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barrel address stamped before the move, bored and chambered after the move.

Seems the simplest explanation.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Weren't barrels roll stamped after all the boring, threading, chambering, etc. was done? Big mystery as 7mm barrels weren't made at Chicopee were they?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Weren't barrels roll stamped after all the boring, threading, chambering, etc. was done? Big mystery as 7mm barrels weren't made at Chicopee were they?

That's the mystery. I am wondering what order things were done in.

One thing changed in 1960 with the move, and that is the twist on the 250-3000 barrels. Maybe there's a clue there.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I have no idea what order they were done in. I was just going with KISS. grin

If Fireball was inferring that maybe they took an old 250-3000 barrel with 1-14 twist and rebored it to 7mm and chambered it for 284, don't see that as being impossible.

But that raises the question of when in the process did they thread the barrel? Chicopee Falls threading was different than Westfield. Would they have had a bored and stamped barrel without it being threaded?

Last edited by Calhoun; 02/13/19.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
No Rory, I wasn't thinking that at all.

If there are any post 1960 250-3000 rifles out there with 1-14" twist but Westfield address it would mean that at least that barrel was bored and rifled before the move and stamped second.

All this is just academic anyhow, they probably did some of any and everything in no particular order!

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Maybe they started making barrels in Chicopee, in preparation of new caliber offering, at the old, already set-up factory,before committing new mfg space to a dubious new caliber. Who knows what the choice was about with so many things changing all at the same time at Savage Inc.

Nice early cut-checker rifle Roy...., now everybody knows about it...

wink

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffG

Nice early cut-checker rifle Roy...., now everybody knows about it...
wink

Well, it's there screaming at you, "Take me home, take me home!". grin

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting, I would have thought leftover 22" Chicopee Falls barrels targeted for 99Fs would have have been barrels with a barrel boss on them; even the smaller caliber .243 and .250-3000s pre-mil 99Fs had a barrel boss.

The early 99E barrels were 22" with Chicopee marked barrels. I would agree with Rory, the most likely reason for the barrel on this 1964 .284 99F is there was a 22" Chicopee barrel left over that had been stamped Chicopee, but had not been bored and chambered.

Also I don't think Savage had a .284 premonition while still at Chicopee,; probably wasn't even on Winchester's drawing board yet either.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 02/13/19.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Interesting, I would have thought leftover 22" Chicopee Falls barrels targeted for 99Fs would have have been barrels with a barrel boss on them; even the smaller caliber .243 and .250-3000s pre-mil 99Fs had a barrel boss.

The early 99E barrels were 22" with Chicopee marked barrels. I would agree with Rory, the most likely reason for the barrel on this 1964 .284 99F is there was a 22" Chicopee barrel left over that had been stamped Chicopee, but had not been bored and chambered.

Also I don't think Savage had a .284 premonition while still at Chicopee,; probably wasn't even on Winchester's drawing board yet either.

Hadn't thought about the rear sight bosses on the 99F's. That's an interesting point.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also, from 1960-1964 the only models produced were the E, F and DL. The F and DL had the barrel boss, so the initial model that could use up left over Chicopee Falls non-barrel boss barrels would have been the 99E until the .284 came along. Maybe theyu cut 24" barrels, or perhaps, they were actually producing 22" barrels in Chicopee for the introduction of the 99E .. maybe both.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also, from 1960-1964 the only models produced were the E, F and DL. The F and DL had the barrel boss, so the initial model that could use up left over Chicopee Falls non-barrel boss barrels would have been the 99E until the .284 came along. Maybe theyu cut 24" barrels, or perhaps, they were actually producing 22" barrels in Chicopee for the introduction of the 99E .. maybe both.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don’t see manufacturing to be an exact science and think that “one or all of the above” answers could be correct. Years ago I bought a steel M1A scope mount from Smith Enterprise that they were selling at about half price. When I called to order one and asked “how come so cheap” the guy on the phone said they found a barrel of the mounts in the back of the warehouse that had been left over from an old contract that just needed to be parkerized. So they were parking them on an as needed basis and selling them cheap. Having said that, my theory is that back in 1964 Savage had a crank on the assembly line who said he was going to use an old set of stamps just to mess with these guys in the future who will be talking about it on a thing they’ll call the internet. Point is I think there are a bunch of logical hypotheses and no real way (short of possibly examining the factory records) to prove one correct or incorrect.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There was another thread back in 2008 on a 107xxxx 99F .284 with a Chicopee barrel here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2160281/2

Last edited by KeithNyst; 02/13/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Calhoun

I have no idea what order they were done in. I was just going with KISS. grin

If Fireball was inferring that maybe they took an old 250-3000 barrel with 1-14 twist and rebored it to 7mm and chambered it for 284, don't see that as being impossible.

But that raises the question of when in the process did they thread the barrel? Chicopee Falls threading was different than Westfield. Would they have had a bored and stamped barrel without it being threaded?

My replacement 22HP barrel with the Westfield address has the early flat threads, so they must have been able to do both?

Last edited by JoeMartin; 02/13/19.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
My replacement 22HP barrel with the Westfield address has the early flat threads, so they must have been able to do both?

Oh yeah, they would rebarrel earlier receivers and could match the threading. That's not that difficult for a big machine shop from what I understand.

But if the Chicopee Falls barrel had been threaded before the move, it would have the flat threads like premils do. But a 284 receiver would have the V threads of postmils. Would they, or could they redo the threads? Just have to guess what they did, and why. Maybe a bean counter found a spare pile of old EG and R barrels and forced the production line to cut old style threads in enough receivers to use them up.

Hate bean counters (generally, not specifically grin).

PS: Let's face it. The LOGICAL thing to do with a few old Chicopee Falls barrels would have been to put them in the service shop and use them to rebarrel old 99's sent in for refurbishing. Now if they had 5000 of them? Well then...

Last edited by Calhoun; 02/13/19.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun
PS: Let's face it. The LOGICAL thing to do with a few old Chicopee Falls barrels would have been to put them in the service shop and use them to rebarrel old 99's sent in for refurbishing. Now if they had 5000 of them? Well then...

Years ago Gun Parts had a small pile of Savage 99 barrels, including the elusive 7mm-08. So I'm sure old parts hung around the factory until somebody one day said to clean the place up and maybe get some "beer money" for all those old barrels we won't be using anymore.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unrelated to the barrel stamp

Cut checkered 284 isn't an easy gun to find as we all know.

That is a nasty tang crack...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
None of the factory new 99 barrels from Numrichs had stamps, as far as I knew.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffG
None of the factory new 99 barrels from Numrichs had stamps, as far as I knew.

By stamps, do you mean SP proof marks or a barrel address.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

605 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,278
Posts18,448,479
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.