Print Thread
Hop To
M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I know the 390 is a good shotgun but was wondering is the Outlander A300 any improvement over the 390? I'm looking to purchase one in a 12ga 3"

Last edited by MLC; 02/12/19.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
BP-B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I am a big fan of the 390, having two of them. I if you listen to the experts, ie. Randy Wakeman, and then like, they will tell you that the 390 is hands down the better shotgun. I can’t confirm or deny that. I duck hunt with a buddy that has an A300, and it has performed flawlessly over the past few years that he has owned it. I have run my 390 in absolutely brutal conditions with near perfect results. I am quite confident that my son will be shooting my 390 many years from now.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a synthetic stocked A300 for a year now, wife bought it for me as a duck gun to save my nicer guns. Haven't shot it a ton, maybe a couple hundred shells at ducks, a couple pheasants, and majority of action at clays in my backyard. Everytime i've pulled the trigger it went bang.

I've had a 391 since 2003, it too has performed flawlessly with many many shells shot through it.

Day 2 of owning my 300, first shots fired from it were at these teal-

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Good? the 390 is arguably the best gas operated shotgun that has ever been made, things started going downhill with the 391. Plus my buddies new multitarget has already been back to the factory within the first year. Look for a nicer 390, silver mallard or a390, they did have a cheaper one, which was fine, but didn't have the magazine cutout or recoil pad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killerv
Good? the 390 is arguably the best gas operated shotgun that has ever been made, things started going downhill with the 391.

Can you expand on this a bit? I don't believe I've heard that before. My AL391 has been excellent, as has my daughter's A300 and my brother's A400 Xplor.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
The 391s started attaching the springs to the barrel band, if/when the spring would seize up, after a lot of shooting, it cause the barrel band to literally break form the barrel. The operating arms were also notorious for breaking off the sleeve, trigger assemblies had carrier issues. Another issues was the spring in the end cap, it would seize up and cause issues. I sent a like new 391 sporting back that would jam like no other, sure cycle didn't even fix it. They sent me a brand new one and was nice enough to swap my sure cycle and angle port barrel over to it. Wood wasn't near as pretty and I was a little aggravated and let it go. Then beretta started having issues with the new rotating bolt, the hole the pin would sit in would wallow out and people started having misfire issues. Hold a new a300 up to an older 390 or even a 391, quality just isn't the same. Heck, the new synthetic versions don't feel near as solid as the older ones. Two buddies bought outlanders in the past year, no case, and came with old mobil chokes instead of the nicer optima or optima hp chokes.Beretta doing whatever to save a few bucks. I've owned 7 berettas over the years but now I am down to my xtrema2 and a silver pigeon 2 sporting. 390s are still highly praised in my neck of the woods and I've seen even the old walmart ones bring 5-600 bucks used.

My buddies who frequented mexico wing shooting can attest to a lot of this. The mexican guide they used would have them buy all the 390s they could find for him to use for clients. 390s and benelli m1s were the only guns that could handle the amount of rounds they were sending down the barrels. I've also seen these issues at our gun club.The serious sporting clay guys around here that lived for berettas had to stop shooting the new beretta autos as they were no longer reliable as needed and costing them targets.Heck, my buddies new multitarget that he spent 2600 on had the threaded piece that the cap screws on to literally break about a month ago. Never seen that one before.

I'm not saying the new berettas are junk, but their reliability isn't what it used tobe. They've gone backwards and now on even playing field as other autos when they used to the standard everything was compared against.

Last edited by killerv; 02/13/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 82 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.