-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 23 24
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I fail to understand these regular requests from people that live east of the Mississippi for suggestions about places to live in the Rocky Mountain states. If you think that you want to move, spend some vacation time and a little money looking around. Use the internet to investigate various places and regions and make list of places to visit. Prioritize them based on your research and start checking them out in person.

In the course of getting to these places, you will encounter other places and communities that may actually be more interesting and attractive to you. Talk to people. Find out if the locals are the kind of folks that you want for neighbors, and find out if the services and amenities that you are looking for exist in these places.

I have been fortunate to spend most of my career working in the Rocky Mountain states, and I have found a lot of places and people that I enjoy visiting, but many (and perhaps most) are not places where I want to spend my retirement money and put down roots.

If you really want to see about building a cabin in the mountains in Montana, get a big topographic map of the state with a vegetation overlay and put it on your wall. Take a handful of darts and throw them at the green polygons. That will give you a few places to start looking--and if you do, you will probably find other areas that are worth considering, as well.

Good luck with your quest.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Originally Posted by CWT

What town do you live in? I’d like to avoid it because you’re clearly an asswipe and can’t comprehend what you read. I didn’t ask about N. Idaho. I asked about Montana so GFY

You sound like the typical Yankee. Why don't you just stay where you are and save the rest of us from the trouble of your presence?

I’m far from a liberal and save the yankee bullshit for someone else. I have zero patience for asswipes that think they know who someone is based on where they live....guys like callnum...and you. So please feel free to GFY

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate the input from guys that have something positive to add[/quote]

But who was the one that called folks asswipes and said GFY? Typical, typical of you folks north of the grit line.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by irfubar
hunter4623 one other thing, don't expect the locals to be your best buddy, not for awhile anyway. Montana is a frame of mind , live and let live, respect privacy and be patient when you contract work with locals. For example if the sun is shining they may go fishing rather than show up on your job, if it's hunting season good luck...... snowmobile season etc....

Oh and avoid callnum..

That’s what I’m looking for. I don’t want to bother anyone and I don’t want to be bothered. That’s the main reason I want to live someplace remote. I’ve met quite a few people from that part of the country and we share very similar outlooks. It’s Beautiful country and the people I’ve met were very genuine. I like that. I have the same mindset.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by CWT
Originally Posted by CWT

What town do you live in? I’d like to avoid it because you’re clearly an asswipe and can’t comprehend what you read. I didn’t ask about N. Idaho. I asked about Montana so GFY

You sound like the typical Yankee. Why don't you just stay where you are and save the rest of us from the trouble of your presence?

I’m far from a liberal and save the yankee bullshit for someone else. I have zero patience for asswipes that think they know who someone is based on where they live....guys like callnum...and you. So please feel free to GFY

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate the input from guys that have something positive to add

But who was the one that called folks asswipes and said GFY? Typical, typical of you folks north of the grit line. [/quote]

I didn’t ask for his input on not moving to Montana and going to N Idaho. He was being a dick and I returned the favor. Same with you so GFY....says this northern Yankee

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mudhen
I fail to understand these regular requests from people that live east of the Mississippi for suggestions about places to live in the Rocky Mountain states. If you think that you want to move, spend some vacation time and a little money looking around. Use the internet to investigate various places and regions and make list of places to visit. Prioritize them based on your research and start checking them out in person.

In the course of getting to these places, you will encounter other places and communities that may actually be more interesting and attractive to you. Talk to people. Find out if the locals are the kind of folks that you want for neighbors, and find out if the services and amenities that you are looking for exist in these places.

I have been fortunate to spend most of my career working in the Rocky Mountain states, and I have found a lot of places and people that I enjoy visiting, but many (and perhaps most) are not places where I want to spend my retirement money and put down roots.

If you really want to see about building a cabin in the mountains in Montana, get a big topographic map of the state with a vegetation overlay and put it on your wall. Take a handful of darts and throw them at the green polygons. That will give you a few places to start looking--and if you do, you will probably find other areas that are worth considering, as well.

That's some solid advice. Take the time to actually visit. Summer and winter. Take the posts on here with a heavy dash of salt. I'd recommend pm'ing members that aren't tools and asking them.

As to callnum, well they speak for themselves and no one else. And it's up for debate where they even live and if they're not a sock puppet/troll. If it's strictly the landscape you're looking for there's a lot more places to live than MT that can match it or come close for scenery. If you've got your heart set on MT, then simply put, Havre has it.

MAGA
IC B2

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some times when you ask questions you get answers you don't like but yet it's the answers you need to hear. Stay home. You have a very bad attitude, short temper, and no one wants the hear that's the way we did it in New Jersey.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar
hunter4623 one other thing, don't expect the locals to be your best buddy, not for awhile anyway. Montana is a frame of mind , live and let live, respect privacy and be patient when you contract work with locals. For example if the sun is shining they may go fishing rather than show up on your job, if it's hunting season good luck...... snowmobile season etc....

Oh and avoid callnum..

That’s what I’m looking for. I don’t want to bother anyone and I don’t want to be bothered. That’s the main reason I want to live someplace remote. I’ve met quite a few people from that part of the country and we share very similar outlooks. It’s Beautiful country and the people I’ve met were very genuine. I like that. I have the same mindset.

If you want remote, the area around Plains and Noxon is also very nice. The westside in generally a little warmer. Off grid land is pretty cheap here, $1k-$2k a acre. Water will be your biggest issue without power. Honestly I couldn't imagine living off grid here in the winter, but folks do it. There was a decent house off grid on ~20 acres near me for under $200k not long ago. There is/was also a small off grid cabin on 25 acres for around $125k that had utilities on the road , remote but not too bad of a 20 mile trip to town. www.nmar.com has listing for NW MT. I have a nice a-frame-cabin looking house I'm almost done remodeling on 10 acres about 15 minutes to town, but I'll probably sell it to Californian this spring and retire to AZ smile .

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In addition to what I posted above, watch a season or two of "Northern Exposure" if you want to get a feel for it "off the grid" up here. Ya, I know the show took place in Alaska; however, I know several of those "characters" and they all live here in Montana. They just have different names.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to go full hermit Montana is good place to do it, but you better be tough...

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Basically, any place that you live west of the Mississippi is going to be a lot more to your liking than Jersey. Actually, I've found that most any place west of there period is nicer to live. Just move--you'll like it better. Avoid the west of I-5 corridor on the Left Coast, and all will be well.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Budget is $300k. I prefer to do off grid. I’m looking for a remote cabin or property. I don’t mind living in a small cabin while I build a house. No wife or kids so space isn’t a big concern. Building a place in the mountains is kind of a bucket list item. I want to enjoy the process and not be a slave to it. This is probably the place I’ll live in forever so I’m not in a rush

I live off the grid in the mountains. It ain’t easy. Had 4 ft of snow the past 5 days. How good are you at fixing things? I come out now and visit to see if you really want to
Live six months or more out of the year like it is now.

I prefer Browning to Havre

Last edited by ribka; 02/13/19.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
If I ever move or need to relocate I am headed to Mississippi.

I aint going someplace else in Montana.

Too many folks from Jersey movin in.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ribka
Budget is $300k. I prefer to do off grid. I’m looking for a remote cabin or property. I don’t mind living in a small cabin while I build a house. No wife or kids so space isn’t a big concern. Building a place in the mountains is kind of a bucket list item. I want to enjoy the process and not be a slave to it. This is probably the place I’ll live in forever so I’m not in a rush

I live off the grip in the mountains. It ain’t easy. Had 4 ft of snow the past 5 days. How good are you at fixing things?

Dang! Where is that?

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
If I ever move or need to relocate I am headed to Mississippi.

I aint going someplace else in Montana.

Too many folks from Jersey movin in.

I was in Tupelo Mississippi a few months ago for work. It was actually a very nice area with really good fishing and hunting

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by mudhen

That's some solid advice. Take the time to actually visit. Summer and winter. Take the posts on here with a heavy dash of salt. I'd recommend pm'ing members that aren't tools and asking them.

As to callnum, well they speak for themselves and no one else. And it's up for debate where they even live and if they're not a sock puppet/troll. If it's strictly the landscape you're looking for there's a lot more places to live than MT that can match it or come close for scenery. If you've got your heart set on MT, then simply put, Havre has it.

I’ve already gotten some good info from members here thru PM in response to this thread. I plan on heading out the last week of May and probably the Second week of September after I return from a bear hunt in Maine. I like the idea of renting out there for a year to see how I like everything. Thanks

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by CWT
Some times when you ask questions you get answers you don't like but yet it's the answers you need to hear. Stay home. You have a very bad attitude, short temper, and no one wants the hear that's the way we did it in New Jersey.

Hey buttercup
How about you go start a thread about northern Yankees and bad attitudes and let the adults talk here

Thanks
Signed
Bad attitude, northern yankee from NJ

Oh and GFY

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to live in the boonies, you need to remember four letters. S N O W.
There are depressed parts of Montana where you can find a crummy shack to live in, but it will take some doing.
But yeah, come on out. I'd forget the hunting, worry about that later.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I’m more concerned about bitter cold as opposed to snow. Seems the western part of the state is a bit warmer than the central part according to the USDA growth charts I looked at. Are there a lot of seasonal residents in the mountains or are they mostly full time residents? I’d rather not spend all of my time feeding a wood stove and digging out from the snow instead of being out in the woods doing what I enjoy.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
It is milder in the west than over here in the east.

They do get some snow however.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m more concerned about bitter cold as opposed to snow. Seems the western part of the state is a bit warmer than the central part according to the USDA growth charts I looked at. Are there a lot of seasonal residents in the mountains or are they mostly full time residents? I’d rather not spend all of my time feeding a wood stove and digging out from the snow instead of being out in the woods doing what I enjoy.

For [bleep]'s sake

Guess I got suckered into making a serious post on what I took to be an honest thread.

Ah well

MAGA
Page 3 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1eyedmule, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,849 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.