Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
dgr416 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I a m.getting to the age that it's too hard to drag deer and haul treestands any more .What's the best reliable four wheeler for the money .I.use to use a Polaris 325 but it was small for certain things I did .A 50 is the maximum as far as I want to try to handle .

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my Honda 250 (2wd) for meat retrieval, but I would highly suggest something with fuel injection. Today's fuel is hell on on carbs that sit and the EPA standards will have you popping and idling like crap until you cut past the plug to get to the fuel screw.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I think an early 20teen yamaha grizzly was about perfection.
I have a honda rancher and my wife rides an 18 kodiak. But I think the grizzly is best.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Suzuki or Honda

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RayF
I love my Honda 250 (2wd) for meat retrieval, but I would highly suggest something with fuel injection. Today's fuel is hell on on carbs that sit and the EPA standards will have you popping and idling like crap until you cut past the plug to get to the fuel screw.

I use non-alcohol gas in all my small engines. It's worth the extra cost. I can buy a lot of gas for what a set of injectors can cost

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It ain't a Can-Am I can tell you that!

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If it were my money and I was looking for an all around wheeler, I'd look hard at the Honda Rancher with power steering and IRS.

I would also take a good look at the Yamaha grizzly/kodiak

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by tzone
If it were my money and I was looking for an all around wheeler, I'd look hard at the Honda Rancher with power steering and IRS.

I agree with this. Had one a few years ago. Wanted a bigger machine so bought a Suzuki Kingquad. Love my KQ, but the Rancher is probably a better deal. Have a Foreman at work, and do not like it.

Last edited by MHWASH; 02/14/19.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yamaha Grizzly or Kodiak, or a Honda Rancher. Only way I would go. Find one with power steering if possible. Depending on age and ground you cover.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'll agree with several who've mentioned the Honda Rancher and the Yamaha Grizzly (or newer Kodiak). I think these models are the most bang for the buck.

Everyone has different preferences for how they are going to use an ATV. Folks seem to really like power steering....I use an atv every day and don't feel like I would need it....but I'm only doing short trips taking out hay, etc....very different from long trail rides. Independent rear suspension is nice for riding....for my use I much prefer the solid rear axle for pulling trailers. I think the Rancher is a better bang for the buck than a Foreman, but I went with a Foreman on my last purchase because I needed the locking front differential for a couple of places. Do you want gears or CVT? Lots of stuff to look at, decide what's most important to you and then look at the Rancher vs Kodiak to see what lines up best with what you want.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Toyota debate....

they are all pretty good. That said, I have run Polaris500's for 20 years with no complaints....

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Honda

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We have an older Kawasaki 300 and Polaris 500 and actually the old air cooled Kawasaki is easier to work on and maintain. If I was looking at a new one it would probably be a Yamaha or Honda, but which ever servicing dealer was closer to where you would need to bring it.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm partial to either a Honda Rancher or Foreman. I know 2 different people with 1988 models that are still used hard. I agree that fuel injection is a big plus, but Honda didn't go that route until 2008, so it'll have to be fairly new to get it. I have a 2008 Rancher and a 2017 Foreman. Both have been great, but I realize it is way too early to comment on the 17.

I've also seen Kawasaki and Yamaha's do very good work too. They probably are just as good as Honda.

I volunteer with a group that helps when searches are organized for missing, presumed dead, people. We are really searching for remains and we use ATV's for support vehicles. We beat the crap out of them. Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki are the only ones I've never seen fail.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like Honda’s myself. I’ve got an 03’ Foreman foot shift with 3,000 miles and it’s a tank. I like the older Ranchers as well, but hard to find not beat on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a Polaris fan as I own a 570 Sportsman and a Ranger 900XP. With that being said, and if I was buying an ATV today, I would go Yamaha Grizzly first, and Honda Fourtrax Foreman Rubicon second. When I bought my Sportsman, the wife was fresh out of grad school and I was still AD military so money was fairly tight. I take care of my stuff and the only issues I've had are a dead battery on the Sportsman and a burnt up a belt on the Ranger after getting stuck on some muskeg out moose hunting. The past 4 years, I have had limited time to ride, but that is changing this summer/fall when I get home from my current contract job. I like the power I have on the Sportsman and I think it's a great machine for the price, but buying for longevity it's Honda or Yamaha. The only reason I rate the Yamaha over Honda is the Yamaha has more power than the Honda.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a 2010 honda rancher with power steering. I wouldn't change a thing, I'd get the same thing again. I'll never buy another one without power steering.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had a Honda Rancher-- great great machine----- The last week of 2018 deer season I bought a 2019 Honda Pioneer 500 for less than $9,000---- Very compact -- seats 2---- Believe me power steering not needed---- I'll never go back to a regular ATV after owning one of these. Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wldthg
I had a Honda Rancher-- great great machine----- The last week of 2018 deer season I bought a 2019 Honda Pioneer 500 for less than $9,000---- Very compact -- seats 2---- Believe me power steering not needed---- I'll never go back to a regular ATV after owning one of these. Web
I have a 50" Polaris 800 and 2 friends have 570's. They're all about the same size as your Pioneer. I love the size and handling. The only advantage I can see in an ATV is that you can step off on one side on steep side hills. For everything else, I'll take the SxS every time. I did put a 2" lift kit in mine. It doesn't sound like much but it sure made it easier going over rocks and we have plenty of those.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Rock Chuck --- I'm still in the learning stage with this Mini SxS but the low clearance did put ??? in my mind. I'm almost certain I'll only use it on my camps property that has well over 2 miles of rocky rutted logging roads. 98% of the driving is on these roads--- Some parts of the roads 16%-20% grade+. Honda put 5 speed shaft driven in this. ---- We also have a Yamaha Viking
also a Great machine... -Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My RZR did sit a bit lower than I liked. I bought it used and the tires were getting worn so when I replaced them, I changed the 25's to 26's plus that 2" lift. That got me nearly 3" more. This country is very rocky and some roads are nothing but rocks. I have no problems at all now. It'll go over them as well as any ATV I've seen.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 2003 Honda Rancher, never had anything done to it until this year - new breaks. My dealer said the only reason they see them for service is break replacement. He said their service department would go broke if thats all Honda ever sold

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bt8897
I have a 2003 Honda Rancher, never had anything done to it until this year - new breaks. My dealer said the only reason they see them for service is break replacement. He said their service department would go broke if thats all Honda ever sold

I do think they've got the worst brakes in the business. I've got an older Bombardier (now Can-Am) atv and the brakes on it are still TIGHT after 15 or so years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by bt8897

I do think they've got the worst brakes in the business. I've got an older Bombardier (now Can-Am) atv and the brakes on it are still TIGHT after 15 or so years.

That's because they are Brembo brakes, best in the business.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MHWASH

I agree with this. Had one a few years ago. Wanted a bigger machine so bought a Suzuki Kingquad. Love my KQ, but the Rancher is probably a better deal. Have a Foreman at work, and do not like it.

Why don't you like the foreman?

I'm probably going to dump the Can-Am soon. I just can't warm up to it, or trust it. Yamaha and Honda are what I'm going to be looking at.

I have a 2000 Foreman that is nearly bullet proof. So my 14 year old son uses that. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MHWASH

Everyone has different preferences for how they are going to use an ATV. Folks seem to really like power steering....I use an atv every day and don't feel like I would need it....but I'm only doing short trips taking out hay, etc....very different from long trail rides.

That's because you haven't used it. Your use is EXACTLY where the PS shines. Not long trail rides. Slow technical rocky/roots/rutted trails and farm work is where that shines and was designed for.

Try it. You'll never have one without again.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Power steering seems kind of wimpy to me for a wheeler, but I suppose it depends on one's upper body strength and what they are riding over. I do remember nearly dislocating my thumbs on my old K-5 Blazer without power steering when I hit a tree stump and the stump did the steering. Sweetness and I are in a balance class here and one of the exercises was to push sideways against each others outstretched arms while facing one another. I was amazed at how little upper body strength she had. If we used our wheelers more, I'd probably look at it too.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
Power steering seems kind of wimpy to me for a wheeler, but I suppose it depends on one's upper body strength and what they are riding over. I do remember nearly dislocating my thumbs on my old K-5 Blazer without power steering when I hit a tree stump and the stump did the steering. Sweetness and I are in a balance class here and one of the exercises was to push sideways against each others outstretched arms while facing one another. I was amazed at how little upper body strength she had. If we used our wheelers more, I'd probably look at it too.

You haven't used it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Honda Suzuki

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 2001 Honda Rancher 4x4. I bought it used in 2005. Its been pretty much bullet proof. I plow with it, drag logs and pull a trailer with it. Only thing I have done to it is replace the tires and battery as needed.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I have a 2001 Honda Rancher 4x4. I bought it used in 2005. Its been pretty much bullet proof. I plow with it, drag logs and pull a trailer with it. Only thing I have done to it is replace the tires and battery as needed.

Please tell me you've thrown in an oil change? eek

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A group of us ride ATV's in the Arizona desert all winter every year. Some of the guys are in their 15th season riding out here. I have been fortunate enough to ride here for 5 winters. We see all kinds of machines. Lots of Polaris and Can Ams and fewer Hondas and Yamahas for some reason. However there are definitely more problems and more dissatisfaction per capita with the Polaris (especially) and Can Am machines than with the Yamahas and Hondas.

I own 3 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS machines. They are, by far, the most comfortable quads to ride, with very ergonomic control placement, good seats and extremely nice suspension. The Yamahas and Hondas seem to be tied for first place in reliability. The 2015 Grizzly 700 EPS that I ride out here is just turning over 10,000 miles, all of it on the rough trails out here, and it has needed nothing more than routine maintenance and a set of tires now and then. My buddy has a 2017 Honda Rincon that has needed boots on the rear axle already but is otherwise solid. It is definitely not as comfortable as the Grizzly, though.

The guys with Polaris quads and side by sides seem to be having lots of suspension, transmission and axle problems and the guys with Can Ams seem to have more than their share of electrical glitches. One good thing about the Can Am quads in our group is that they are 2-up machines and have longer wheelbases than our Hondas and Yamahas. This makes them a bit more stable on some of the steeper, rougher trails.

Personally, from what I have seen in thousands of miles of riding out here, I would consider Honda and Yamaha tied for first place, and everything else tied for last.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/27/19.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
G
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
G
I have Honda, Kawasaki and Polaris in 4 wheelers. Honda by far the best. Switched back to a New Mule from Ranger in Side by side.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Honda Foreman I had an 05 Foreman that I used in the oilfield tending wells, when the company got me a Polaris Ranger it had 23,000 miles on it and still Ran strong. Only major issue was replacing 3rd gear. Other than that brakes, wheel bearings, and a few axle boots.The other well tender had 18,000 on his. Best in the business. Polaris Rangers are junk, could not keep wheel bearings and Aarm bushings in them.Changed them about every 2 months.Go with Honda

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bump to clear spam off of the homepage

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Polaris works for me

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Suzuki KQ

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'll go out on a limb and say that in due time the small compact side x side's that are well built and in the same $$$$ as some ATV's will start to outsell them. The more I ride my Honda Pioneer 500 the more I don't miss my Rancher or my Big Bear 400. Of course I'm older than most and not looking for speed or something that I can drive out in the lake to go fishing with. --
------------ Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wldthg
I'll go out on a limb and say that in due time the small compact side x side's that are well built and in the same $$$$ as some ATV's will start to outsell them. The more I ride my Honda Pioneer 500 the more I don't miss my Rancher or my Big Bear 400. Of course I'm older than most and not looking for speed or something that I can drive out in the lake to go fishing with. --
------------ Web
Problem with that is they don't make a small compact sxs for utility use, the Yamaha Rhino fit that bill to a T but they no longer build them. I've got one and it is a work horse and does everything I ask of it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Please tell me you've thrown in an oil change? eek

Or 2??

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
A group of us ride ATV's in the Arizona desert all winter every year. Some of the guys are in their 15th season riding out here. I have been fortunate enough to ride here for 5 winters. We see all kinds of machines. Lots of Polaris and Can Ams and fewer Hondas and Yamahas for some reason. However there are definitely more problems and more dissatisfaction per capita with the Polaris (especially) and Can Am machines than with the Yamahas and Hondas.

I own 3 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS machines. They are, by far, the most comfortable quads to ride, with very ergonomic control placement, good seats and extremely nice suspension. The Yamahas and Hondas seem to be tied for first place in reliability. The 2015 Grizzly 700 EPS that I ride out here is just turning over 10,000 miles, all of it on the rough trails out here, and it has needed nothing more than routine maintenance and a set of tires now and then. My buddy has a 2017 Honda Rincon that has needed boots on the rear axle already but is otherwise solid. It is definitely not as comfortable as the Grizzly, though.

The guys with Polaris quads and side by sides seem to be having lots of suspension, transmission and axle problems and the guys with Can Ams seem to have more than their share of electrical glitches. One good thing about the Can Am quads in our group is that they are 2-up machines and have longer wheelbases than our Hondas and Yamahas. This makes them a bit more stable on some of the steeper, rougher trails.

Personally, from what I have seen in thousands of miles of riding out here, I would consider Honda and Yamaha tied for first place, and everything else tied for last.

Bobby,

The Rincon you speak of even though is a 2017 model is the same machine Honda has been making for over a decade so I would not expect the ride to be that great, however I do own a 2017 Honda Rubicon with IRS that is by far the most cush riding 4 wheeler I have ever rode. That's in comparison to Can-am 500's, Yamaha grizzly 450's and 700's, Suzuki KQ's, Artic Cat 700 and etc. I'm not saying it is THE best but it is the best I've rode. I've even got buddies with Can-am's and Polaris' that admit the Honda rides much better than theirs. I have always owned Honda's with the exception of 1 Artic Cat and 1 Yamaha so maybe I'm biased.

Now when I bought my SXS last year I did buy a Can-am Defender. I drove the Yamaha Viking, Honda Pioneer, and Polaris Ranger and the Can-am seemed to be the best ride, quietest, least amount of vibration, smoothest shifting and most powerful machine of the bunch. It just seemed to me that it was a better quality machine in all aspects than the others. I only have about 500 miles on the Defender to date so hard to say how it will hold up but 0 problems to date. Dealer said the Ranger had long been the #1 selling but the Can-am's were catching up quick. Guess time will tell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of guys hang on to the memorabilia of Honda ATV reliability but those are the old days. Honda has been left in the dust for a decade with much better machines being built by several manufacturers. The Yamahas currently lead the pack in features, performance, ride quality and dependability! If you want an old machine by a Honda, if you want a new machine by a Yamaha.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Have two Honda Ranchers 2002 and 2003 4x4 with ES.....used almost every day in rough terrain for ten years. Mechanic at Honda dealership also has 2002 Rancher ...says it is his favorite ... I concur.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

Bobby,

The Rincon you speak of even though is a 2017 model is the same machine Honda has been making for over a decade so I would not expect the ride to be that great, however I do own a 2017 Honda Rubicon with IRS that is by far the most cush riding 4 wheeler I have ever rode. That's in comparison to Can-am 500's, Yamaha grizzly 450's and 700's, Suzuki KQ's, Artic Cat 700 and etc. I'm not saying it is THE best but it is the best I've rode. I've even got buddies with Can-am's and Polaris' that admit the Honda rides much better than theirs. I have always owned Honda's with the exception of 1 Artic Cat and 1 Yamaha so maybe I'm biased.

Now when I bought my SXS last year I did buy a Can-am Defender. I drove the Yamaha Viking, Honda Pioneer, and Polaris Ranger and the Can-am seemed to be the best ride, quietest, least amount of vibration, smoothest shifting and most powerful machine of the bunch. It just seemed to me that it was a better quality machine in all aspects than the others. I only have about 500 miles on the Defender to date so hard to say how it will hold up but 0 problems to date. Dealer said the Ranger had long been the #1 selling but the Can-am's were catching up quick. Guess time will tell.

My 2004 Rincon with IRS was every bit as smooth as my friends 2018 Rubicon!

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a new Suzuki King Quad 450 in 2006. Gave me years of great service hauling out deer, yard work and ice fishing. I brought it in for service and was looking at the Hondas, Can Ams and new Suzukis on the floor. Spotted a brand new camo Suzuki KQ 750 with power steering so thought I would test it out. Drove it, liked it and loaded up on my trailer. Suzukis are awesome ATV's.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
I bought a new Suzuki King Quad 450 in 2006. Gave me years of great service hauling out deer, yard work and ice fishing. I brought it in for service and was looking at the Hondas, Can Ams and new Suzukis on the floor. Spotted a brand new camo Suzuki KQ 750 with power steering so thought I would test it out. Drove it, liked it and loaded up on my trailer. Suzukis are awesome ATV's.

I have a 400 Suzuki and use it for spraying weeds at the farm. It's a great little machine. My next one will be the 500 with power steering.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have a Honda Rancher 2003 that I use on the farm and for hunting. It gets used hard and is pretty beat up. I took it in for ring adjustment and the mechanic said that he had the exact same atv...just better looking.
Nuff said?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Honda or Suzuki

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I suppose it depends on if you are talking big money or little money. Sure, those decked out Yamaha or Honda's would be great machines. Those are expensive, but they have been making ATV's for so many years now that people are trading in or have old ATV's in the shed that are hardly used, older way less expensive machines. Case in point we have a '96 300 Kawasaki and a '06 Polaris 400 at the cottage and that air cooled 300 has big steel racks, high and low range, a rope starter if the battery is dead and has been ultra dependable and easy to maintain. The thing is only worth a few hundred dollars and it just keeps on working perfectly for what we use it for.

My other auto is a .45

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I had a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 4X4 that finally died last year with over 12,000 miles on it. I replaced it with a 2018 Polaris Sportsman 450 and couldn't be happier. Prior, I owned 2 Yamahas and a Kawasaki. The Yamahas were nice, but I'm sold on the Polaris.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old thread. But I'm still running my 2007 KQ 450. Just had to finally replace a rear axle a couple months ago. Other than that.........oil changes and tires. It's got ample power. Very user friendly. ONLY thing I'd change is next time, I'll get one with EPS. I've got the upper body strength to almost bench press the danged machine. But, on long rides, my hands want to go numb. Probably a nerve thing between my shoulder blades. But none of us are getting any younger, either.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Yamaha Grizzly or Kodiak, or a Honda Rancher. Only way I would go. Find one with power steering if possible. Depending on age and ground you cover.

This is the right answer. Power steering for us older guys is worth much at the end of a day wheeling. I have a Kodiak 450 and a Grizzly 700 and for your use in dragging a deer and moving tree stands the 450cc is all you will need, plus the Kodiak 450 is smaller (mostly in width) and will pick its way thru the woods better than larger bikes. Although my Kodiak does not have the power steering it is available now on the 450 size bikes.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Change the oil?

Yep, once a year needed or not. Point is its as good as any and better then most.

Last edited by BlueDuck; 12/06/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My experience over the last 25 years points to Honda and Yamaha as being rather solid, with Honda being slightly more reliable and Yamaha offering more features. My 2005 Rancher 4x4 is still ticking along pretty well with a minimum amount of unexpected maintenance. My fathers fuel-injected 420cc 4x4 version is much the same. They take less work to keep going than the 660 Grizzly and way less work than the Polaris Ranger 800.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
G
Honda

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by VaHunter

This is the right answer. Power steering for us older guys is worth much at the end of a day wheeling. I have a Kodiak 450 and a Grizzly 700 and for your use in dragging a deer and moving tree stands the 450cc is all you will need, plus the Kodiak 450 is smaller (mostly in width) and will pick its way thru the woods better than larger bikes. Although my Kodiak does not have the power steering it is available now on the 450 size bikes.

I sure agree too. The Kodiak or the Rancher are the two best ATV's available IMO. I just bought a Kodiak 450 with power steering to replace a four year old Polaris that seemed to enjoy breaking down at the worst possible times. The power steering is really nice to have.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like some above have said, it used to be Honda, but now you can’t beat Yamaha. I still have a 1988 Honda Foreman that has hauled an aircraft carrier worth of firewood, rocks and deer and is still going strong. As Honda went to electronic shifting and other features, problems followed. Can’t beat the Yamahas( Grizzly/Kodiaks) now. Also the best innovation has been fuel injection.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Honda offers manual shifting in the Foreman.

Fuel injection is brilliant.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have had Polaris quads and a couple of Rangers and have had great luck with zero problems. We don't abuse them or ride them hard, Basically used for mostly hunting activity on the farm/ranch.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The only wheeler that has left me stranded in the woods was a Polaris. And it did it more than once. Won't happen again.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

I would also take a good look at the Yamaha grizzly/kodiak

Exactly my answer with the exception of, if you're going the Yamaha route, I'd go with the Grizzly over the Kodiak.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Power steering , independant suspension , liquid cooled and most of all automatic transmission .

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A used Honda.

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

This. I have a rancher and a grizzly. My rancher doesnt have independent suspension and can really beat you up though. Other than that its a very solid machine. I bought it in 2018 and it was a 2017 the dealership was trying to get rid of. $4450. I couldnt pass it up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i am real happy with my 06 grizzly . been a great machine

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have 5 atv's. A 2003 Polaris 500, a 2000 Yamaha Kodiak 400, a 2007 Foreman, a 2013 Rancher and a 2016 Grizzly 700. I have had no real problems with any of the units except the Grizzly. The first year or so was fine except the shocks leaked almost from the start and the dealership wouldn't warranty them. Last year the coil went out and now it has another issue where it will run when it decides it wants to and will just quit and not restart. Let it sit for a few days and it might start again. Two other people around me have had similar issues with that year of machine. We just don't depend on them continuing to run and you have to take half the rig apart to find the engine. Just to change a sparkplug or get to the battery, you have to take the front rack off and then some of the plastic. Not always easy to do in the field. I would look at Honda with power steering and independent suspension for my first choice.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.