Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the tip Brad.

I've been looking for a compact lightweight saw.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you need to saw off a skull, anything shorter than 7" is too short.
I used to have a Sven saw and found it to be pretty much useless. Because of the sharp angles between the blade and frame, it's a knuckle buster for cutting wood plus being way too short. That sharp front angle prohibits cutting wood bigger than 3 or 4 inches and it's totally useless for cutting off antlers.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

One thing about the opinel knifes and saws. If they get really wet the wood swells and they can be a SOB to get open.

Other than that they are pretty good.

Lefty C

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This is actually the same saw that I use. Rockchuck used a better photo. Yeah it looks cheap and flimzey but it is actually pretty durable and effective.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've used a Sierra saw for years. 6 oz. Replacement blades are readily available but I've never needed one.

[Linked Image]

I used to have one of those Gerber extendable saws but it was more trouble than it was worth. While it cuts on the pull stroke, in a tight kerf, the pushing pressure kept closing it.

On one backpack trip, a friend brought a sven saw. It's heavier but wow you could really cut through the wood quickly.

[Linked Image]

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A Sven saw? Does Ole or Lena make one?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I mentioned a Sven saw earlier. I used to have one and it's a sorry excuse for a saw. First, it's a knuckle buster. Next, the angles between the blade and frame severely limit the thickness of wood you can cut. The deeper the cut, the closer the frame gets to the wood until you're down to a stroke of only a couple inches.
I finally gave it away and got the Sierra saw. It's 10x easier to use plus you can saw through an elk skull with it. You can't do that with a Sven because of the thick frame.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I have tried all the saws mentioned; wasn't overly impressed with either Sven saw I had (small and large); the little sliding Gerber/Fiskars is not a bad choice if weight is the only factor, for just two ounces more (and the availability of a fine blade for bone), you can be into a Silky 180 and nothing out cuts the Silky's imo

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Silky Zubat the only way to fly.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a Silky F-180 for backpacking... just the right size and very sharp

No Farmers---No Food
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I pack mine on a llama, so weight is less of an issue. I’ve found Bob’s Quick Buck saw to be my favorite. Made in Minnesota for hard core winter campers and canoe people. Sold by Four Dog Stove Co. Good people. They have a nice video about saws on their website.

http://fourdog.com/bobs-quick-buck-saw-21/

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by riverdog
I pack mine on a llama, so weight is less of an issue. I’ve found Bob’s Quick Buck saw to be my favorite. Made in Minnesota for hard core winter campers and canoe people. Sold by Four Dog Stove Co. Good people. They have a nice video about saws on their website.

http://fourdog.com/bobs-quick-buck-saw-21/

That's a big improvement over the Sven saw.
I also pack with llamas but when hunting, I like a light weight Sierra saw in my day pack. In an emergency, it can be very useful.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you're not counting ounces, I agree with pgsalton's comment. I believe this is what he was talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-15-087-20-Inch-8-Point-Contractor/dp/B00002X20X

They work well on bone too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have quite a few saws to choose from, depending on the trip.

Often just use the one on my Leatherman in the mountains. Or break wood like smokepole mentioned.

If do a base camp type trip- but still wanting a compact, folding saw- this one is my favourite: https://agawacanyoninc.com/

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have a few Silky saws. They are insane sharp and fast. They cut on the pull stroke, and the blades tend to be on the thinner side. I broke a couple blades on the pocketboy 170mm models, so I think they are too flimsy for me. The Gomboy model is thinker and more robust. Of course they have even larger models if you need to cut bigger wood, and like to carry heavier saws.
For reference I also have a Bahco Laplander and it is very durable, but takes more effort for the same cut. It is also a good choice for light work.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional...70065&sr=1-10&keywords=silky+saw

https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-396-LA...mp;psc=1&refRID=8WJYJRW3S4AQABB6YBSD

I haven't used my Sven saw since I bought a Silky saw. They cut like nothing I've tried. The larger folding saws are a little heavy for a serious backpack trip. I'll be getting one of these Samurai saws next, as good as a Silky with better ergos and lighter. A 9"-11" model may be the backpacking ticket. A hiking buddy always has one on his hip for clearing trails. We limbed a large pine that fell across a trail in no time last fall. The handle on the Samurai works better one handed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samurai-ICHIGEKI-C-330-LH-33cm-Heavy-Duty-Curved-Hand-Saw-Carrying-Case/221325324037?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Has anyone tried a Silky side by side with a Sierra? They have the same blade design. The difference, if any, would be blade quality.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have a few Silky saws. They are insane sharp and fast. They cut on the pull stroke, and the blades tend to be on the thinner side. I broke a couple blades on the pocketboy 170mm models, so I think they are too flimsy for me. The Gomboy model is thinker and more robust. Of course they have even larger models if you need to cut bigger wood, and like to carry heavier saws.
For reference I also have a Bahco Laplander and it is very durable, but takes more effort for the same cut. It is also a good choice for light work.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional...70065&sr=1-10&keywords=silky+saw

https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-396-LA...mp;psc=1&refRID=8WJYJRW3S4AQABB6YBSD

I had the same experience as TerryK
Broke the 170mm and moved up to the Silky Gomboy.
It’s the best I’ve used.

Retired and loving it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 160user, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.