Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Did my first elk hunt this past year, man what a blast. Didn't see an elk lol, but still was an incredible experience. I wound up having 3 good friends go with me, none of which bought a tag. They were great partners, never complained about anything more than I was haha. We all helped a couple of guys pack an elk out one day. So we are getting deep in to planning the 2019 hunt now. Right now we have 7 people going, and 2 may jump in. Including myself, 2-3 of us will have elk tags, and 2-3 will have mule deer tags (I will not). We plan on splitting up every day in groups of 2-3 people, ideally each group has 1 elk tag holder and 1 mule deer tag holder. The others will be along just for the experience.

As I type that out I realize its a dumb thing to worry about. I'm lucky to have many solid friends!

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Lucky you. I had to go solo last year. Only thing to worry about is two people make 4 times as much noise in the woods as one person

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would keep the in field folks to a minimum. More folks tromping around the more noise and smell.
I would send the mule deer hunters out together and elk hunters likewise.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Suggestion: decide in advance who gets how much meat if anyone scores. How to divide the meat has broken up some good partnerships. Be sure it's all clear before you go. The way my 2 partners and I have done it for years is if one gets an elk, he takes half and the other 2 split the other half.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way too many people for a backcountry hunt in my opinion, but I guess you didn’t say how you’d hunt.. Also, make sure you understand how to get a deer tag as those can be harder to come by than elk tags in a lot of places.

Last edited by exbiologist; 02/14/19.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
This is pretty important to sort out up front. It's amazing how many people disappear when the work starts and reappear when the work is finished. Often people have different social rules on helping versus expectations.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Suggestion: decide in advance who gets how much meat if anyone scores. How to divide the meat has broken up some good partnerships. Be sure it's all clear before you go. The way my 2 partners and I have done it for years is if one gets an elk, he takes half and the other 2 split the other half.

That is the way I do it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Most of the guys I have hunted with want to keep their own meat and not share. If there is no agreement beforehand, they tend to not want to share. I’m willing to share most of the time if someone is sharing the cost of the tag and processing. I sometimes buy a leftover cow tag with the expectation that I will share that beast if the cost of the extra tag is shared if successful.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Lucky you. I had to go solo last year. Only thing to worry about is two people make 4 times as much noise in the woods as one person

Amen to that. We have a hunt group but usually hunting pretty much solo every day. Last couple of hunts I have hunted with my landowner buddy and usually we are a mile or so apart all day. We will find each other by dark to make sure each of us makes it back to the truck ok. Other than that, you’re on your own bubba.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

To the OP, I think last year you hunted in CO?? If you do again, be careful how you divide up the meat, CO has very specific regs on that. If you divide it up after it's been processed or at home, it's not a problem but if you do it in the field the limit is 20 lbs. unless the person you give the meat to has a "like license" and punches the tag. And in that case you need to give them a "donation certificate" with your license information on it. Your buddies without tags don't want to be checked in the field with more than 20 lbs of meat and no tag punched. Or, toting your rifle because you have a pack full of meat on your back.

PS, I agree on the numbers in yuour hunting party, no big deal if you strike out on your own but two on a stalk would be the max I'd go with, and the other guy better be good. And depending on the season and wher eyou hunt, your best elk hunting area may not be your best deer hunting area, something to consider. There are a few deer in my favorite elk spots but if I was deer hunting I'd go somewhere else.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole

To the OP, I think last year you hunted in CO?? If you do again, be careful how you divide up the meat, CO has very specific regs on that. If you divide it up after it's been processed or at home, it's not a problem but if you do it in the field the limit is 20 lbs. unless the person you give the meat to has a "like license" and punches the tag. And in that case you need to give them a "donation certificate" with your license information on it. Your buddies without tags don't want to be checked in the field with more than 20 lbs of meat and no tag punched. Or, toting your rifle because you have a pack full of meat on your back.

PS, I agree on the numbers in yuour hunting party, no big deal if you strike out on your own but two on a stalk would be the max I'd go with, and the other guy better be good. And depending on the season and wher eyou hunt, your best elk hunting area may not be your best deer hunting area, something to consider. There are a few deer in my favorite elk spots but if I was deer hunting I'd go somewhere else.

Thanks for the tip, yes CO. We'd be packing out as a team and it'd all go in one truck and stay that way until back in Alabama. Are you saying its illegal to help someone pack one out over 20 lbs? If so we outlawed this past year ha.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole

That would be a pain in the rear. Here in Idaho, you can give meat to anyone as long as you give them a written statement as follows:

"Any person who transports any wildlife for another or receives any wildlife for cleaning, processing, as a gift, or for storage must have a written Proxy Statement signed by the taker of the animal showing the name, address, and license number of the taker, and the number, kind, date taken, and the name of the person transporting (see page 78 of Big Game Seasons and Rules).
The taker of the animal can keep the antlers but the tag must accompany the meat. The proxy and tag will be required of a commercial meat processor."

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You should be good all in one truck with the meat. Divvy it up in Alabama.
Don't give any meat away while in Colorado.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ChrisAU

Thanks for the tip, yes CO. We'd be packing out as a team and it'd all go in one truck and stay that way until back in Alabama. Are you saying its illegal to help someone pack one out over 20 lbs? If so we outlawed this past year ha.

No, it's not illegal to help someone pack one out. The regs don't kick in until you get the meat to your vehicle and transport it. And if you're all in one truck or more trucks traveling together it wouldn't be an issue. It would only be a problem if one of your buddies was by himself with >20 lbs of meat and no tag or donation certificate.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This sounds like me 30 years ago. Decided I wanted a black bear. Got a spring bear tag and went to set out my bait sites. All my buddies---you don't know what your doing, you're wasting your time. Killed a bear & next year they want to go hunt. Same thing with antelope, got a tag near Craig---never been there. You'll never see one or get one. Killed a nice one---then they all decided they wanted to go. Same thing with mtn goat, bighorn sheep, spring turkey.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Chris, you must be a very friendly guy! Personally, I would limit my camp to four people to minimize the disturbance in the area as Saddlesore and Wytex mention. Seven people over a couple days time will make an indelible but huge impression on any game in that immediate area (if they are there to begin with).

Mostly, everything is easier, quicker, and quieter with fewer people in camp. And hunting in pairs while still comparatively quiet adds a safety factor over going solo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How many will sit in camp all day drinking and playing cards? I agree that 7's too many. I've been on group hunts like that and in the end, nobody gets any serious hunting done.

― George Orwell

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I do enjoy a card game and a beverage or coffee after dinner with my hunting buddies, new or old. What I don’t care for is having to shepherd hunters about the whole day. I like to get my carcass out of bed, drink as much coffee as time allows and hit the ridge in the dark. I don’t claim to reach a higher power or commune with nature all day in my church of the mountains; I just love a little solitude punctuated by some game animals. They call me Curmudgeon..... LOL!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The best part of the day is between 1st light and sun up.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
Most of the guys I have hunted with want to keep their own meat and not share. If there is no agreement beforehand, they tend to not want to share. I’m willing to share most of the time if someone is sharing the cost of the tag and processing. I sometimes buy a leftover cow tag with the expectation that I will share that beast if the cost of the extra tag is shared if successful.

Like many things, how to share (or not share) the meat is something that is best decided BEFORE the hunt. Not a big problem for me because I hunt with family (daughters and sons-in-law) and a long-time (20 year) hunting buddy. Sometimes someone wants to share processing expenses and the meat, other times I share anyway, fill my freezer, and let them help themselves to what they need when they visit. The grandkids hardly get beef at home, eating antelope and elk and deer instead. Heck, in the end the extended family eats 90% of what I take – I just provide cold storage until they run low or have freezer space. Works for me.

Years ago I hunted with others that had less clearly defined sharing. In general, though, we followed the following rules back then:
1. Anyone that materially helps a hunter be successful is entitled to share in the meat. That help may be pre-season scouting, providing equipment, vehicles, food or other services or items essential to the hunter’s success.
2. Helping pack out the meat earns a share
3. Each person that earns a share for reasons listed above is also required to help pay for processing or forfeit their share.

There can still be plenty of room for disagreement as to share sizes. Best to hunt with good friends IMHO.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,814 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,536
Posts18,453,048
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.