Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WAM
I just love a little solitude punctuated by some game animals.

Quote worthy!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How many will sit in camp all day drinking and playing cards? I agree that 7's too many. I've been on group hunts like that and in the end, nobody gets any serious hunting done.

Seven is a lot of folks in a tented camp on public land. Definitely have ground rules for how you're going to manage firearms while not hunting.

I'd also make sure that you all agree on how much booze will be in camp and how it gets consumed. Also bear in mind that Colorado is quite a bit higher than Alabama, and that alcohol hits you sooner and harder in thin air. The last thing you want on a stalk is some guy who smells like a tavern and pukes because he got sideways the night before.

I used to hunt with three other guys. The first day we all hunted. Every other day, two of them were in camp with sore feet and hangovers. I'd be up and gone long before first light and not back until long after dark, but the two party guys expected that any deer we killed would be split evenly among all four of us. I'd have been willing to share if they had put in effort every day and legitimately gotten skunked, but that just pissed me off. On the bright side, they kept the camp clean and hot chow was waiting when I got back at the end of the day.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just call it an autumn camping trip.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okie john
How many will sit in camp all day drinking and playing cards? I agree that 7's too many. I've been on group hunts like that and in the end, nobody gets any serious hunting done.

Seven is a lot of folks in a tented camp on public land. Definitely have ground rules for how you're going to manage firearms while not hunting.

I'd also make sure that you all agree on how much booze will be in camp and how it gets consumed. Also bear in mind that Colorado is quite a bit higher than Alabama, and that alcohol hits you sooner and harder in thin air. The last thing you want on a stalk is some guy who smells like a tavern and pukes because he got sideways the night before.

I used to hunt with three other guys. The first day we all hunted. Every other day, two of them were in camp with sore feet and hangovers. I'd be up and gone long before first light and not back until long after dark, but the two party guys expected that any deer we killed would be split evenly among all four of us. I'd have been willing to share if they had put in effort every day and legitimately gotten skunked, but that just pissed me off. On the bright side, they kept the camp clean and hot chow was waiting when I got back at the end of the day.

Okie John

Definitely agree on the firearm rules. Need to discuss ow they will be handled in the field, too. Have hunted with a couple people that had no concept of muzzle control and another who hunted the entire time with loaded chamber and, as we found out on the last day, a safety that didn't work. He said it was OK because he "kept his finger off the trigger". Such people never got invited back.

As to the alcohol, I agree on that, too. hunted with some business acquaintances one year. They brought four coolers of food and I thought we would eat well. Turns out two were full of beer and the other hard liquor. In addition to terrible personal habits, a couple guys couldn't function until past noon on opening day. I left early the next day in total disgust.

Another thing that should be discussed is whether people are attending to hunt or party. One year we camped on public land just inside the National Forest gates, along with a number of other groups. Damn people next to us partied loudly half the night before opening day. Then about 3AM a couple were outside puking their guts out. Thankfully, they only hunted opening weekend and we were able to get some good sleep after they left. Family non-hunters excluded, if people aren't serious about hunting, I don't want them in camp.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Originally Posted by smokepole
Suggestion: decide in advance who gets how much meat if anyone scores. How to divide the meat has broken up some good partnerships. Be sure it's all clear before you go. The way my 2 partners and I have done it for years is if one gets an elk, he takes half and the other 2 split the other half.

To the OP, I think last year you hunted in CO?? If you do again, be careful how you divide up the meat, CO has very specific regs on that. If you divide it up after it's been processed or at home, it's not a problem but if you do it in the field the limit is 20 lbs. unless the person you give the meat to has a "like license" and punches the tag. And in that case you need to give them a "donation certificate" with your license information on it. Your buddies without tags don't want to be checked in the field with more than 20 lbs of meat and no tag punched. Or, toting your rifle because you have a pack full of meat on your back.

PS, I agree on the numbers in yuour hunting party, no big deal if you strike out on your own but two on a stalk would be the max I'd go with, and the other guy better be good. And depending on the season and wher eyou hunt, your best elk hunting area may not be your best deer hunting area, something to consider. There are a few deer in my favorite elk spots but if I was deer hunting I'd go somewhere else.

Thanks for the tip, yes CO. We'd be packing out as a team and it'd all go in one truck and stay that way until back in Alabama. Are you saying its illegal to help someone pack one out over 20 lbs? If so we outlawed this past year ha.

It is not illegal to help someone pack their meat out. It is illegal to donate (transfer ownership of) meat if not in accordance with the regs. For 2019:

Donation certificates are required for all game-meat donations. Certificates must
show names, addresses and telephone numbers of donor and recipient; donor’s
hunting license number; species and amounts donated; date of kill; donor’s signature. The certificate can be a simple note; no special form required. It must stay
with the meat until completely consumed. Donor and recipient are subject to bag
and possession limits. NOTE: A “like license” is a license for exactly the same species,
sex, season and method of take as a donor’s license.
1. You can donate to someone WITH or WITHOUT a like license:
a. any amount of processed and packaged game meat, anywhere.
2. You can donate to someone WITHOUT a like license:
a. up to 20 pounds of unprocessed meat, anywhere.
b. more than 20 pounds of unprocessed meat, only at recipient’s home.
3. You can donate to someone WITH a like license:
a. up to 20 pounds of unprocessed meat, anywhere.
b. more than 20 pounds of unprocessed meat, anywhere, only if:
(1) recipient’s license is unfilled, and
(2) recipient’s carcass tag is on the meat. This establishes recipient’s
claim to his/her portion of meat and voids his/her license. Donor’s
tag must remain with his/her portion.
c. the entire carcass, if:
(1) recipient’s license is unfilled, and
(2) donor’s carcass tag and recipient’s like-license carcass tag is on the
meat, voiding both licenses.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many years ago a young fella offered to help carry meat if he could come along on a hunt so that he could begin to learn to hunt elk. He still hunts with us today, and now his brother does also.
For a lot of years we had some older fellas in camp who were not enthusiastic hunters. They would return to base camp early each day and then road hunt. Those guys always knew everything that was going on everywhere for miles around because they would stop and talk with anyone they saw.
Having people in your group that are familiar with an area can be a valuable thing in years to come.
I'd be surprised if your serious hunters wanted anyone along other than a serious understudy who is intent on learning all he can. That cuts both ways too. I'd also be surprised if guys with no tag wanted to begin tough hikes before dawn day after day.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

161 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 31 invisible), 1,239 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,464
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.