Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Im thinking of putting a new barrel on my first hunting rifle. It’s a Weatherby Mark V 6lug synthetic .30-06. I plan to place it in a McMillan Sako Classic and to install a timney trigger. I know almost nothing about barrel manufactures and who’s the best for the dollar. I checked out Hart just tonight and they seemed reasonable. I was thinking of going with a .280 AI or a 6.5x284. Any advice would be great. Thank you

Kyle

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Kyle, do you reload?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you already have the barrel Kyle?

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I do with my grandfather. He’s got the setup

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Only the factory 06 barrel

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Oh yeah, or .270 Win. Strong chance of that

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
Im thinking of putting a new barrel on my first hunting rifle. It’s a Weatherby Mark V 6lug synthetic .30-06. I plan to place it in a McMillan Sako Classic and to install a timney trigger. I know almost nothing about barrel manufactures and who’s the best for the dollar. I checked out Hart just tonight and they seemed reasonable. I was thinking of going with a .280 AI or a 6.5x284. Any advice would be great. Thank you

Kyle

Trip the POS Japperby and go 700 for the Win.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Nope, that rifle means a lot

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If schit is a "lot",then you are WELL on your way.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Done great with it so far

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Describe your version of "great",as applied to a 6-lugged Japperby and dog schit COAL latitude...if only as an opening "move".

Hint.

Laughing!................

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Not sure what your deal is. Looking for info on barrels not actions. Not sure just discriminating someone’s rifle is much help.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My "deal is",I simply shoot it all and 6-lugged Japperby's simply suck heavy fhuqking ass and by literal design.

Hint.

Twist rate,throat geometry and COAL latitude...matter more than a "smidge".

HINT................

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure what your deal is. Looking for info on barrels not actions. Not sure just discriminating someone’s rifle is much help.

You won't get any help from Big Stick. His participation is little more than a way for him to indulge in his narcissism. I recommend the ignore feature.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I recommend that you TRY to find me "mistaken",as you fill out yet another Hurt Feelers Report,to quell your very WELL founded Insecurities. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Laughing!..............

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I just don’t understand the reason behind it

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Kyle,

Many have put on more barrels than I; I've had 12 or so installed.

I recommend putting Stick and Boxer (same dude) on ignore. He knows his [bleep] but his language is abusive and he will ridicule any question you have.

As for barrel I recommend you come up with some logic train for choosing your barrel maker.

Do you want a stainless barrel or a chrome moly (i.e. so it can be blued) barrel?

Do you want a cut rifle barrel (some are picky about cut rifled vs button barreled)?

Do you want a hand lapped barrel? Lapping is typically done by high end barrel makers, but not all, i.e. Douglas. And not everyone likes Douglas as a barrel maker.

Do you have a gunsmith to install the barrel? From reading your post above I think you want a gunsmith because you also want stock bedding done and I would want them done at the same time. Or alternately will a barrel maker/installer bed the stock and change the trigger for you?

How heavy do you want the barrel and total rifle weight? Many people choose WAY too heavy a barrel for their first aftermarket barrel.

If, for instance, you decided you want a #2, stainless steel, cut rifled barrel you've eliminated most barrel makers. I think only Rock Creek Barrels (I have 2, both before Mike Rock retired) and Pederson barrels (I've never used them) make thin contour cut rifled barrels.

If, for instance, you decided you want a #2, chrome moly, barrel and you don't care about cut rifling you have more options. Krieger, Brux, Bartlein, Shilen, Lilja, Pac Nor, X-Caliber, and many more make that barrel. But I don't think Hart makes a chrome moly barrel.

So come up with some criteria and then narrow down to the right maker for you. I personally have or have had Brux, Bartlein, Rock Creek, Lilja, Rock Creek, Pac Nor, and Obermeyer barrels. I haven't installed the Obermeyer or Lilja yet. All the others shoot better than I can, so I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them. You will be disappointed if you get any of them too heavy.

v/r
Joel

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just don’t understand the reason behind it

Honey,

Stupidity ain't a "reason",it's a Plight and few are Plighteder than you.

Hint................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Kyle,

Many have put on more barrels than I; I've had 12 or so installed.

I recommend putting Stick and Boxer (same dude) on ignore. He knows his [bleep] but his language is abusive and he will ridicule any question you have.

As for barrel I recommend you come up with some logic train for choosing your barrel maker.

Do you want a stainless barrel or a chrome moly (i.e. so it can be blued) barrel?

Do you want a cut rifle barrel (some are picky about cut rifled vs button barreled)?

Do you want a hand lapped barrel? Lapping is typically done by high end barrel makers, but not all, i.e. Douglas. And not everyone likes Douglas as a barrel maker.

Do you have a gunsmith to install the barrel? From reading your post above I think you want a gunsmith because you also want stock bedding done and I would want them done at the same time. Or alternately will a barrel maker/installer bed the stock and change the trigger for you?

How heavy do you want the barrel and total rifle weight? Many people choose WAY too heavy a barrel for their first aftermarket barrel.

If, for instance, you decided you want a #2, stainless steel, cut rifled barrel you've eliminated most barrel makers. I think only Rock Creek Barrels (I have 2, both before Mike Rock retired) and Pederson barrels (I've never used them) make thin contour cut rifled barrels.

If, for instance, you decided you want a #2, chrome moly, barrel and you don't care about cut rifling you have more options. Krieger, Brux, Bartlein, Shilen, Lilja, Pac Nor, X-Caliber, and many more make that barrel. But I don't think Hart makes a chrome moly barrel.

So come up with some criteria and then narrow down to the right maker for you. I personally have or have had Brux, Bartlein, Rock Creek, Lilja, Rock Creek, Pac Nor, and Obermeyer barrels. I haven't installed the Obermeyer or Lilja yet. All the others shoot better than I can, so I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them. You will be disappointed if you get any of them too heavy.

v/r
Joel

You Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks are a hoot! Congratulations?!?

Any/all barrels can be contoured. None of which circumvent a schit receiver.

HINT.

Laughing!...............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WTF is Plighteder......haha

Been waiting for your wisdom to resurface.

Kyle I would recommend you listen closely and read between the lines to what is being suggested to you.

Hint.....

I ignored it myself and went with a Bartlein and I am sending it to a gunsmith that nobody suggested.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 69 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.