Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was rooting around in the scope drawer looking for something to put on my newly rechambered 22 K-Hornet and came across this. It's a Nitrex 3-10x50mm. It's a very lightly used scope. I had originally planned to put one of my Burris 2-7s on it, but I think that's destined for another rifle. At any rate, I didn't bother putting a scope on the 22 K-Hornet. So tonight turned out to be putting on a new scope for the 17 Hornet.

The TR Nitrex scopes were a solidly made Japanese product, but this model looked too long and ungainly on the two or three rifles I put it on, so I shelved it. For some reason, it doesn't look too bad on the Contender. Nitrex was a short lived line that was owned by Weaver, that was owned by ATK. A confusing jumble of company buy outs about 10 or 12 years ago.

With Weaver's future hanging in the balance, I am not too sure about the warranty, but I paid $90 or $100 for it at a trade show. If I recall correctly, it was considered to be a middle of the road optic. It works, and I doubt this little 17 will shake it up too badly. If it packs in, I won't grieve for too long.

I present to you 'monster glass'.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey! Looks good Steve! Curious were you got the contender? & a 17bbl. I would be willing to trade many a rifle for a contender in 17 fireball! I have like 400++ cases, & 2 or 3 hundred bullets. They are very quiet yet shoot very flat. With all the new houses being built, it's getting harder & harder to find places to shoot. It's a shame, I don't think the next generation is going to be able run dogs at all. I used to take the 17 I used to have **€£=+#%~~~ up the trappline to a big marsh & snipe black birds all day! Fun to say the least!!!? If I could get a contender, or even a HR or NEG in 223 or 204 to do a stubb bbl project into a17 FB I'd be happy. Any way yours looks great! Expect to see varmint picks before too long, wow just before the crows come back to. Good timing! Enjoy! Bill🐾

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks.

NEF single shots are easier to find at the gun shows or the used gun racks. As far as getting a Contender, I ordered mine through www.irunguns.ca. The barrels are imported by a guy south of Hamilton, in Caledonia. http://nine35.ca/index.html

The exchange rate makes it an expensive proposition right now. The barrels cost $650 all in. The actions, about the same. Wait times for either are three months.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Thanks I'll look into that! Thanks again, Bill🐾👣

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just a quick pic of how well the Contender shot. This group was the first out of the rifle, after the scope was zeroed.

[Linked Image]

It was chilly and I wrote on the target at the range. The load was 11.5 gr. of AA1680, CCI 450 primers, COAL 1.790 inches. I shot four groups. 0.457 to 0.539 inches. This one was 0.457 inches. I am very happy with the barrel. It shoots! This load was not chronoed, but should be around 3300 fps.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Outstanding Steve! Well done. Will you also test the 20 grain VMAX in that barrel?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think I will. I've got some 20 gr. Varmageddons here and will pick up some Hornady 20 gr VMaxes. It's great when a rifle shoots like this out of the gate. I really don't need to do anything else except load and hunt with this recipe, but I am curious if the barrel prefers BT of FB bullets. A few more ranges trips will confirm that no more workups need to be done, but really, 1/2 an inch @ 100 yd is all anyone needs. That, and a lottery win.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Looks like a winner from here.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Today I got my 17 Hornet collet die, which means that I can start loading neck resized, fired cases.

Originally, I wanted to use 25 gr. HPs. The combination will work for coyotes around here. Sadly, Hornady has stopped making their 25 gr. HP, which only leaves Berger 25 gr. HPs. The Bergers are about 45% more expensive per hundred.

I resized 25 cases and checked them with my run out gauge. All is good, The last thing will be a quick check for run out when they are reloaded, but I doubt there will be any trouble. My new cases loaded up nice and straight.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.