S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would go with #6’s.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.federalpremium.com/prod...pheasants-forever-high-velocity/pf204-75

Here is a link for some 7 1/2s. Only 1 ounce but still plenty of shot for the ranges you will be shooting the 20 gauge with 7 1/2s.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Load you up some TSS. I have been hunting with my 2 3/4" 20 ga TSS loads for several years, I don't take long shots, but they will legit kill out past 60 yds if you mess up your range estimation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Sounds like older guns you might not want to use heavier-than-lead in. TSS will score a barrel if it gets loose from the wad.

Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I shoot Federal premium loads with 1 1/8 ounce of copper plated #7&1/2 shot in an 870 full choke.
Got a link for that load?

I bought a lifetime supply years ago. There is a photo of a box of them in the article I linked to here. Haven't looked but I'd bet they are still available.

http://traditionalmuzzleloader.com/index.php/muffin-mix-turkey-loads

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like older guns you might not want to use heavier-than-lead in. TSS will score a barrel if it gets loose from the wad.

I shoot Federal premium loads with 1 1/8 ounce of copper plated #7&1/2 shot in an 870 full choke.

Been loading TSS for 10 yrs, and it is perfectly safe to shoot in older guns. If loaded correctly there is zero chance that you will score your barrel.

Last edited by slickyboyboo; 02/19/19.
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by slickyboyboo

Been loading TSS for 10 yrs, and it is perfectly safe to shoot in older guns. If loaded correctly there is zero chance that you will score your barrel.

"If"? TSS loads are notorious for things migrating around. Using TSS in a gun that has special value, sentimental or otherwise, is gambling,

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

"If"? TSS loads are notorious for things migrating around. Using TSS in a gun that has special value, sentimental or otherwise, is gambling,

Negative ghost rider. I don't know what loads you are talking about, but I have never had an issue of migrating anything in any of my TSS loads. As long as you roll or fold crimp them tight and properly, there is absolutely zero issue.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Negative ghost rider. I don't know what loads you are talking about, but I have never had an issue of migrating anything in any of my TSS loads. As long as you roll or fold crimp them tight and properly, there is absolutely zero issue.

I agree. You don't know.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=urbaneruralite]Sounds like older guns you might not want to use heavier-than-lead in. TSS will score a barrel if it gets loose from the wad.

I agree. You don't know.

Well then, why don't you fill us in about this TSS load that is notorious for migrating components. I cut some of my loads apart a couple of nights ago, that I loaded several years ago, and all the components were exactly where they were when I loaded them. Like I said, if they are loaded correctly, there is zero chance that you have an issue scoring your barrel, or components migrating.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
And after I write this thesis for you, you'll tell me they didn't do it "right". Point is OP, who hasn't even replied back, might not want to take a chance on something that might happen, even if the probability is very small. It is small, just not "zero."

Are you selling TSS loads on the side or something?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And after I write this thesis for you, you'll tell me they didn't do it "right". Point is OP, who hasn't even replied back, might not want to take a chance on something that might happen, even if the probability is very small. It is small, just not "zero."

Are you selling TSS loads on the side or something?

What thesis, I still don’t see any example of this notorious migration of components that you speak of. So, truth is you have zero real info to back up your claims, it’s just all talk. As for selling ammo on the side, I sure don’t. I have however developed quite a few pressure tested loads, and have plenty of data. I also load all of my own personal ammo, and been doing it for a while.

Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Thanks Gentlemen, I'm going to pattern some various #6 lead and plated shot loads. As far as heavier than lead I doubt I'll shell out the asking price for ant of it!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ZKight89
Thanks Gentlemen, I'm going to pattern some various #6 lead and plated shot loads. As far as heavier than lead I doubt I'll shell out the asking price for ant of it!

I spent a LOT of money on lead and copper loads and chokes over the years chasing the perfect combo. Not to mention all the shotguns.

Bought the supplies to load TSS in 2015. Feed it through just about any gun and decent choke and you will get bored counting holes in paper. It’s nothing to print 350+ in 10” circle at 40 with a 20g. Figure I’ll save money in the long run and all but ensure quick clean kills out to any range I will shoot.

Last edited by SFCSNOW; 02/24/19.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
FWIW, I’ve killed plenty of coyotes with 7.5-8 lead 20ga loads to 35 yards over the years. Turkeys ain’t that tough. If you put the pellets in the right places, you’ll be fine with even regular lead at that range. The TSS is a crazy step up, but I never lacked killing ability on birds with a 20ga and lead, either.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

I bought a lifetime supply years ago. There is a photo of a box of them in the article I linked to here. Haven't looked but I'd bet they are still available.

http://traditionalmuzzleloader.com/index.php/muffin-mix-turkey-loads

Don't think they make them. Fiocchi has a 1 1/4oz load available though. I think I'll sneak some onto a dove field to make the fellas think I'm a better shot than I really am.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have shot at one turkey with a 20. I was squirrel hunting with #6s a standard field load and a flock of turkeys was coming toward me. It was fall season for turkey. I waited till They were as close as I would shoot a squirrel. I picked out one with the longest beard and flattened it. I stepped it off and it was 35 yards. I figure if the gun will kill a squirrel it will kill a turkey head.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To me the shell is the cheapest part of the hunt. A couple shells patterning then one shot for each turkey.
Figure the time and money spent on calls and travels and all the other spent for the hunt and the shells don’t seem that bad.
I load my shells but even if I didn’t I want the best shell possible. After all, three birds a year is only three shots.

Not saying it take tss to kill a turkey but why would one skimp on the shells

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
TSS is rewriting the recommendations on shot size, lethal killing distance and penetration for Waterfowl and Turkey. I read there was some initial barrel scratching due to certain combinations of components that had excessive pressure. TSS on its own will not migrate any more than steel, lead or other heavier than lead pellets.

Last edited by battue; 11/03/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.