Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by deerstalker
looks like a douglas barrel to me. and the action is worth that price in my opinion.

What make ya think Douglas barrel?
Some characteristic?
Certain mark style for the caliber mark?

When I broke it down
I could not find a single mark anywhere on it other than caliber. .308 that was it.

i have used about a dozen Douglas barrels on Mauser or 03 springfield builds over the years and the contour, finish just says Douglas to me.
don't know why you are worrying about headspace so much , that rifle looks like it was put together by a good hand, but go/nogo guages are the best way to go.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
More like three fifty

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Just get go/no go gauges...it'll run you all of $70. If it is too deep you could always punch it out to 30/06.

He’s more like Turdy turdy kinda guy

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
$450 would be top dollar to me. Everybody's right re: checking headspace. It's a 75-80 year old army rifle which we don't know its provenance, what kind of crazy hot handloads it may have been subjected to in its life, who customized it, and if they knew what they were doing. Looks little fired you say? Could be headspace is excessive and the previous owner got tired of having case separations and after a few mishaps tucked it away- there's just no way of knowing. Whenever buying something like this it's always a good idea to check headspace, and not just with go and no-go gauges, you need a field gauge too. If the bolt barely closes on a no-go gauge it may still be sort of ok to use, but don't expect long case life. The kiss of death is if it closes easily on a no-go and then also closes on a field gauge which indicates way excess headspace. Still ok to buy, if you can at that point get it for a steal of a price, and you have access to a bucket full of M98 bolts that you can mix and match until you find one that fits better.

You do know also to check headspace with the extractor removed? Leaving it in place makes it impossible to feel how the bolt interacts with the gauge, and can easily mislead you.

Trying fresh factory brass in it tells you nothing.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/15/19.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Just get go/no go gauges...it'll run you all of $70. If it is too deep you could always punch it out to 30/06.

He’s more like Turdy turdy kinda guy

??????

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
$450 would be top dollar to me. Everybody's right re: checking headspace. It's a 75-80 year old army rifle which we don't know its provenance, what kind of crazy hot handloads it may have been subjected to in its life, who customized it, and if they knew what they were doing. Looks little fired you say? Could be headspace is excessive and the previous owner got tired of having case separations and after a few mishaps tucked it away- there's just no way of knowing. Whenever buying something like this it's always a good idea to check headspace, and not just with go and no-go gauges, you need a field gauge too. If the bolt barely closes on a no-go gauge it may still be sort of ok to use, but don't expect long case life. The kiss of death is if it closes easily on a no-go and then also closes on a field gauge which indicates way excess headspace. Still ok to buy, if you can at that point get it for a steal of a price, and you have access to a bucket full of M98 bolts that you can mix and match until you find one that fits better.

You do know also to check headspace with the extractor removed? Leaving it in place makes it impossible to feel how the bolt interacts with the gauge, and can easily mislead you.

Trying fresh factory brass in it tells you nothing.

Good info
Specially about removing the extractor .
Thanks.

Last edited by renegade50; 02/15/19.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Dayum...It was the 5 Artillery Lugers that got my attention.

He went over yonder way
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.