S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Springcove
Black Rifle Murdered Out.

"Wake The Fu-k Up" is my favorite. laugh

Actually saw that coffee on the shelf at Jungle Jims up in Cinci, but have never tried it.

My daily coffee is 8 O'clock Columbian whole bean. Their Central Highlands coffee is really good, but have not been able to fins it for a while.

Wife goes to Panama every year. We have a farm down there and have a few coffee trees on it, but no one has been maintaining it until lately. Wife should be bringing some beans back. The coffee we have had from those trees in the past was ok, but not something to rave about. Hopefully with some better care, we get some good beans from them.

We also bring back beans from the Cherique region in Panama and that coffee is really good.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by scoony

Actually saw that coffee on the shelf at Jungle Jims up in Cinci, but have never tried it.

My daily coffee is 8 O'clock Columbian whole bean. Their Central Highlands coffee is really good, but have not been able to fins it for a while.

Wife goes to Panama every year. We have a farm down there and have a few coffee trees on it, but no one has been maintaining it until lately. Wife should be bringing some beans back. The coffee we have had from those trees in the past was ok, but not something to rave about. Hopefully with some better care, we get some good beans from them.

We also bring back beans from the Cherique region in Panama and that coffee is really good.

Was at the Kauai Coffee Company in November and was impressed with their coffees. A couple things surprised me on the tour: they have 7 million trees and produce 7 million pounds of coffee per year. They also use 28 million gallons of water per day

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a grocery store brand Peet's is the best.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by dpd

Community with Chicory.

Community Dark Roast.........”NO” chicory! grin memtb

Enjoying a cup of it now!

On my third cup of Dark Roast Community, right now! “No” Chicory! wink

Made with Arabica Bean since around 1900! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/15/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
McCafe is pretty good cheap coffee.

Community Breakfast Blend is quite good, but a bit more expensive.

For really good coffee, I order from a place in Costa Rica.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My name is James. I have an addiction!! I am a self confessed coffee snob. What that means is that Maxwell house, folgers, etc is worse than no coffee to me. I buy my beans green, and fresh roast my own coffee in an old popcorn popper. The stuff I am drinking now was roasted last eve. I rarely drink coffee older than 2 weeks from roast date. If I need to drink something other than fresh roast, like if I ran out of the green coffee beans, I will try to get some quality beans, paying special attention to the roast date. I only grind what I need fresh every morning.
I find that country of origin and region has a lot to do with how the coffee tastes. Also, depends on what you like. Some people like a bit of fruitiness in their coffee (think Kenyan coffees) but I like a smooth coffee. That means I go more for Indonesian or Central American Coffees.
There are coffee roasters who ship directly to you, and that is usually pretty good stuff. I use Happy Mug Coffee Located in Edinboro PA for my green coffee, and he also sells some pretty good roasted coffee. I like that he makes sure the coffee is fair trade, and am pretty sure it is organic as well. I know that doesn't mean much to some, but I do care about the fair trade part. I am not affiliated with the company in any way, just like the guy! He is a small time roaster with 2 or 3 people working for him. His prices are pretty good for a premium coffee ( I thing 10-12 bucks a bag).
A disclaimer here, premium coffee is not for everybody. I know people who can barely tell a difference between Folgers and fresh roast. I also knew a guy that if you made him some flavored coffee(like french vanilla), he may or may not catch it. I told him I will not waste my premium coffee on him!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by scoony

Grab you a couple bags of that WTFU coffee, make damn sure you have a busy day ahead, forget napping! grin

Never tried any 8 O'clock, cool stuff about the exotics too, I looked on the can of store bought coffee I had this morning, Kirkland 100% Columbian, pretty good when made stout.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got a buddy that roasts his own beans and uses a $2000 espresso machine. Best I ever had. Would never do it myself. I do however grind my beans fresh before every pot.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by local_dirt
My favorite.
I live off it.
But it’s $25 a pound, but worth it.

Sacred Grounds coffee from Captain Cook, HI

I was going to say real Kona Hawaiian, but that's close enough. smile

Yeah. Captain cook is roughly 20-25 miles south of Kona.
Dang close.

When I was there, I went around to several of the family farms and bought bags of their coffee and unground beans. At one family's store, they had chocolate covered beans. Sooo good. I get a big box about the size of a big pack of paper towels from the box stores and shipped it all back to me at home. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jevyod
My name is James. I have an addiction!! I am a self confessed coffee snob. What that means is that Maxwell house, folgers, etc is worse than no coffee to me. I buy my beans green, and fresh roast my own coffee in an old popcorn popper. The stuff I am drinking now was roasted last eve. I rarely drink coffee older than 2 weeks from roast date. If I need to drink something other than fresh roast, like if I ran out of the green coffee beans, I will try to get some quality beans, paying special attention to the roast date. I only grind what I need fresh every morning.
I find that country of origin and region has a lot to do with how the coffee tastes. Also, depends on what you like. Some people like a bit of fruitiness in their coffee (think Kenyan coffees) but I like a smooth coffee. That means I go more for Indonesian or Central American Coffees.
There are coffee roasters who ship directly to you, and that is usually pretty good stuff. I use Happy Mug Coffee Located in Edinboro PA for my green coffee, and he also sells some pretty good roasted coffee. I like that he makes sure the coffee is fair trade, and am pretty sure it is organic as well. I know that doesn't mean much to some, but I do care about the fair trade part. I am not affiliated with the company in any way, just like the guy! He is a small time roaster with 2 or 3 people working for him. His prices are pretty good for a premium coffee ( I thing 10-12 bucks a bag).
A disclaimer here, premium coffee is not for everybody. I know people who can barely tell a difference between Folgers and fresh roast. I also knew a guy that if you made him some flavored coffee(like french vanilla), he may or may not catch it. I told him I will not waste my premium coffee on him!

You are a sick man... Welcome. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Local dirt: I have been to the Island of Jamaica and have toured the Blue Mountain Coffee Plantation - I wish I would have bought MORE of it to bring home, it was outstanding coffee.
I drink Folgers at home - I am too "thrifty" to make a habit of the "premiums" from Hawaii and such.
Enjoy your coffee folks - one of life's small pleasures.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy, I actually bought this bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain at Costco, if you can believe it. It wasn't priced too badly, IIRC.

While I don't like Costco's politics, they do have a better coffee selection than Sam's Club, hands down.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My favorite.
I live off it.
But it’s $25 a pound, but worth it.

Sacred Grounds coffee from Captain Cook, HI

I was going to say real Kona Hawaiian, but that's close enough. smile

Yeah. Captain cook is roughly 20-25 miles south of Kona.
Dang close.

When I was there, I went around to several of the family farms and bought bags of their coffee and unground beans. At one family's store, they had chocolate covered beans. Sooo good. I get a big box about the size of a big pack of paper towels from the box stores and shipped it all back to me at home. smile

Yeah.
Us too.
I was gonna go broke on how much chocolate covered beans I was buying. Lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Folgers with about 10% Kona added in. Have to stretch the Kona out.

eek

Norman dude,

would you grind and add your Wagyu prime steak to a chub of Wally World "who knows what's in it " hamburger to "stretch" it out?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Everyone’s tastes are different, we’ve been drinkIn Black Rifle for over well over a year and it never disappoints. Silencer smooth is a excellent light roast, AK47 is a excellent medium roast and Buffalo trading post is also a great medium roast. I’ve given samples to several co workers and all of them said it was excellent. 2 of them now order it as their preferred coffee, none of them said it was just ok or average. I gave samples to 4 people.. just black was alright, beyond black was to burnt tasting for me and gunship was a bit to light tasting for me. Silencer smooth and AK 47 are almost a guaranteed likeable coffee if you’d like to give it a go. Tastes and finishes likes it smells, no surprises. They also donate to 2A and military causes, that’s why I don’t mind spending a little more on it. No soy boy designer coffee in this house.

Last edited by sako4me; 02/15/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mrbman
I recommend finding an Arabica bean or blend where the roast date is marked on the bag. Buy whole beans if possible and grind immediately before brewing. I recommend a medium roast so you can still taste the unique flavor of that particular bean or blend. If you put creamer in your coffee taste it before adding cream so you don’t overdo it. Folgers and other industrial blends tend to be made from the ‘other’ coffee bean, coffee canephora otherwise known as robusta. Growers like it because it is more resistant to coffee rust but it is bitter which is why people tend to add sugar and creamer to their coffee. Darker roasts tend to taste more carmelized which is what industrial roasters want to keep an even flavor. They also make ‘blends’ to use lower quality beans to increase profit margin. A ‘single origin’ coffee from high grown trees in volcanic soil, Costa Rica, Panama, Hawaii roasted to ‘full city’ let’s you taste everything that coffee bean has to offer without the burned taste.
In the grocery store Peet’s marks their roast dates on the bags. Community is not a bad coffee but it is a blend. So try a light to medium roast arabica bean and enjoy the hunt for your new favorite coffee.

I must be toxically masculine................I prefer DARK roasted coffee as in espresso roast or darker.

and I like some mud in the bottom.

Folgers = the Ripple of coffees.

Maxwell House= MD 20/20 of coffees

any off brand el cheapo = the Gallo white port of coffees

In other words, when one is Jones'n for a cup of java whatever is available will do.

Presently, we drink Peet's and have it shipped in. My wife prefers the Italian Roast. I mix Decaf French and their Espresso roast. Light/medium roasts are too "bright" for my tastes. Our Sunday coffee that we make a pot of together is presently their Arabian Mocha Sanani............A little light for my preferred tastes but a very nice brew nonetheless.

Driving south from Kailua-Kona and doing a coffee plantation tour will get one really wired..............ask me how I know cool

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get mine at the electrical supply house. Hot & Free.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It sure as hell isn't the burnt schit in my office! But it'll do

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The best coffee is -- hot, black and fresh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I find that country of origin and region has a lot to do with how the coffee tastes.

There are three main areas/regions: Latin American, Africa and Asia.

(Broadly speaking), Latin American coffees are known for their caramel like sweeter and balanced flavors,
African for bright, fruity and floral notes with acidity.
Asian for their earthy, spicy, nutty and woody tastes.

More specifically, each individual country and even parts of countries have their own distinctive tastes.
EG:
Central America
you can expect varying amounts of acidity (more apple-ish and malic in Guatemala; cherry-like from Mexico)
and a smooth, sugar-browning sweetness that is sometimes soft like chocolate or buttery like flaky pastry crust.
"Balance" is a word to describe these coffees, and their fruit-like
characteristics often play nice as a mild backdrop to the cocoa and spice flavors.

South America
The classic Colombian profile—as with other better-quality coffees from Peru, etc—brings together a mellow acidity
and a strong caramel sweetness, perhaps with a nutty undertone. Sweet and medium-bodied, they have the most
recognizable coffee flavor to most North Americans.

Brazil
Some Brazilian beans—especially those that are pulped natural—have a pronounced peanutty quality and heavy body
that makes them common components in espresso blends. Chocolate and some spice is typical, and the coffees tend
to linger on the palate longer than other South American regions.

and Of course, there’s still much more to it than that like,...Altitude, temperature, rainfall, sunlight and other
environmental factors.

Then you have the many varietal type of Coffee plants you can choose from to grow (Arabica alone can have like 40 varieties of plant)

Then you have the processing method like Washed or semi-washed (fermented) or natural Dry process the bean
is put through. ....which effect flavor profiles differently.

then you have coffee blending, roasting method, grind/granule size, basket-load size, tamping /compression, pre-infusion before extraction,
extraction time, extraction weight, water temperature, water quality.

then the same high quality bean you use to make/serve a coffee in a dry cool environment can turn out differently in character
to when you do it in a hot humid environment.

Some coffee affectionadoes will store beans in a temp.//moisture controlled environment and only pull them out when about to make
a coffee, ie;.. they won't have the beans sitting around in the normal atmosphere for extended hrs waiting to be used.
Some folks are even experimenting with keeping beans in dry ice till ready to put them in the grinder and then straight away made
into a coffee,
.....apparently dry iced brittle condition beans break down into a more consistent granule size.

A disclaimer here, premium coffee is not for everybody. I know people who can barely tell a difference between Folgers and fresh roast.

very True, but the premium coffee market also has fancy talking people pushing certain beans, but when I have quizzed some of them
they seem to know very little on the details and back ground of the product they are pushing....It only takes a few specific type of questions
to discover who are true coffee affectionadoes and those who are just waffling salesman cafe owners.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fresh ground of your choice. Try a bunch. So many different names, but 3 main types of roasts. Light, Med, Dark. Varying degrees of each.

Make it in a French Press. Do not use a drip coffee maker.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.