Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
So I was at the archery range yesterday with a buddy. They sell a bunch of black powder/ ML rifles and supplies also, I made the mistake of picking up a Knight Ultra Light with a muzzle break and before you knew it I was handing over my CC. Walked out of there about 2K lighter than when I walked in.

I’m a lifelong hunter but Honestly dont know $chit about MZ’ers. What can I expect from this rifle as far as accuracy, distance etc?

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Don’t matter what side you hunt on! As long as you get out and hunt! 😉.

Congrats

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Don’t matter what side you hunt on! As long as you get out and hunt! 😉.

Congrats

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS !!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Never seen a Knight UL with muzzle brake. To be honest brakes are a PITA with corrosive powder and can be a pain with sabots too. They need a funnel to load the powder or you have to remove the brake. Cleaning the brake even with BH209 is a chore. Knight just released a UL 45cal fast twist. Now the 45 with a brake and sabotless bullets would be interesting.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Lordy Lordy!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Expect a good shooting rifle, easy range accurate out to 150-200 yards.

You'll probably have to play a bit with powder loads, and bullet weights to get the "sweet spot", but most of the starting loads will shoot MOA of deer out of the box.

As far as I know - Knight doesn't offer a brake, so sounds like a custom addition.

Would be helpful to post a picture of the brake, as it could influence the discussion in several directions.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Expect a good shooting rifle, easy range accurate out to 150-200 yards.

You'll probably have to play a bit with powder loads, and bullet weights to get the "sweet spot", but most of the starting loads will shoot MOA of deer out of the box.

As far as I know - Knight doesn't offer a brake, so sounds like a custom addition.

Would be helpful to post a picture of the brake, as it could influence the discussion in several directions.

Yes custom addition right out of the shop. It’s still there awaiting scope, mounts and rings; they’re going to mount the scope when gets in. I’ll post pics after I bring it home. Thanks to all...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I hope they did a lot of research on which brakes work with sabots. The kind ive seen are short and larger ID. So they dont hardly do squat for reducing recoil. Harrels has one that is supposed to help and reviews have been fairly positive. I think its what Ultimate uses on their rifles.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Overkill45
I hope they did a lot of research on which brakes work with sabots. The kind ive seen are short and larger ID. So they dont hardly do squat for reducing recoil. Harrels has one that is supposed to help and reviews have been fairly positive. I think its what Ultimate uses on their rifles.

To be honest, I’m not even that worried about it as recoil doesn’t really affect me much. I have a buddy who has Remington’s MZ on the 700 action and was going to go with that one but it weighs about a metric ton. When I saw this thing at the shop I couldn’t believe how light it was and was sold. The brake was just kind of an added feature in its favor.

My buddy paid a pretty hefty little sum to put one on his Remington. The fact that this one already came with one was just a happy bonus for me. . .

Last edited by Dryfly24; 02/13/19.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Came with one is a bit of a stretch considering what you spent. You can buy the Knight UL from muzzle-loaders.com for under a grand. Starting at about $900. They are a super nice rifle. The Harrells installed will set you back around $50 plus labor. http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/sabot-muzzle-brake

I think your state allows 45s for elk. Knight just released the UL in 45cal 1-20. Stuff a sabotless bullet in that puppy and you got about 2100fps with a 275gr-300gr bullet. I would highly recommend you contact Lehigh Defense after you get yours and upgrade that breach plug to theirs. They made them for Knight but Knight went with cheaper 416SS instead of the original 17-4 that Lehigh used before getting the Knight contract. Its a much better breach plug with replaceable vent liners. Plugs for the UL and Mountaineer will be out soon They are already out for the other DISC rifles.

UL plugs will be out soon so check back
https://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/muzzleloader-breeches/muzzleloader-breeches

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Came with one is a bit of a stretch considering what you spent. You can buy the Knight UL from muzzle-loaders.com for under a grand. Starting at about $900. They are a super nice rifle. The Harrells installed will set you back around $50 plus labor. http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/sabot-muzzle-brake

I think your state allows 45s for elk. Knight just released the UL in 45cal 1-20. Stuff a sabotless bullet in that puppy and you got about 2100fps with a 275gr-300gr bullet. I would highly recommend you contact Lehigh Defense after you get yours and upgrade that breach plug to theirs. They made them for Knight but Knight went with cheaper 416SS instead of the original 17-4 that Lehigh used before getting the Knight contract. Its a much better breach plug with replaceable vent liners. Plugs for the UL and Mountaineer will be out soon They are already out for the other DISC rifles.

UL plugs will be out soon so check back
https://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/muzzleloader-breeches/muzzleloader-breeches

Thanks . I’ll look into the breech plug. I’ve got a lot to learn.

I paid around $1100 for it. The rest of the money went into the scope and accouterments.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I been looking at the Silence Co Maxim 50. I comes with a silencer / muzzle dampener.Since its not a firearm you can buy without a $200 federal stamp. But it seams like it would be a pain to keep dampener clean.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
call it what it is ...a modern gun

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
$1100 aint bad with a brake installed if its a good brake.

Im assuming you got the bare primer version instead of the red plastic jacket version. The bare primer version needs the breach plug and vent liners. The red plastic jacket version also needs the adapter and its works excellent.

You will get several hundred shots from a vent liner. You will be lucky to get 200 shots from a Knight plug before the flash hole gets too large. The vent liner is your flash hole and easily replaced on the Lehigh plug. The one Lehigh makes for Knight has the vent liner brazed in and its a total biotch to remove. There is another plug available now that is even better. Its made by Lehigh for Bestill Creations. Its $80 bucks but never needs a vent liner. Its uses a tungsten bushing that lasts 1000 shots or more. It would need to be custom fit though. Not hard to do yourself and he offers the service for about $120 installed.

The first thing you should do when you get it is test primers for fit. Get regular Win209s and Fed209a primers.

Measure 3-5 primers length of each with a caliper. Write down the length of each one
Put each primer in the bolt and close the action on it. Bolt handle all the way down in the fire position. DONT FIRE IT.
Remove the primer and measure each primer again.

Hopefully all the Win209s will get about .003 crush or preferably more but not more than .006 on a Win209. Fed209a primers are shorter and probably wont have any crush unless you get .006 on the Win209. .003-.005 is ideal for a good primer seal. The breach will stay nearly spotless and primer will come out easy.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
$1100 aint bad with a brake installed if its a good brake.

Im assuming you got the bare primer version instead of the red plastic jacket version. The bare primer version needs the breach plug and vent liners. The red plastic jacket version also needs the adapter and its works excellent.

You will get several hundred shots from a vent liner. You will be lucky to get 200 shots from a Knight plug before the flash hole gets too large. The vent liner is your flash hole and easily replaced on the Lehigh plug. The one Lehigh makes for Knight has the vent liner brazed in and its a total biotch to remove. There is another plug available now that is even better. Its made by Lehigh for Bestill Creations. Its $80 bucks but never needs a vent liner. Its uses a tungsten bushing that lasts 1000 shots or more. It would need to be custom fit though. Not hard to do yourself and he offers the service for about $120 installed.

The first thing you should do when you get it is test primers for fit. Get regular Win209s and Fed209a primers.

Measure 3-5 primers length of each with a caliper. Write down the length of each one
Put each primer in the bolt and close the action on it. Bolt handle all the way down in the fire position. DONT FIRE IT.
Remove the primer and measure each primer again.

Hopefully all the Win209s will get about .003 crush or preferably more but not more than .006 on a Win209. Fed209a primers are shorter and probably wont have any crush unless you get .006 on the Win209. .003-.005 is ideal for a good primer seal. The breach will stay nearly spotless and primer will come out easy.

Awesome info brother. Much appreciated! Mine is the red plastic version.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Then you will need the FPJ adapter as well as the plug and vents to convert it to bare primer. Its a better way to go bare primer IMO anyway than the Knight bare primer bolt.

Just give Lehigh time to get the Mountaineer/Ulite plugs done. They should be ready pretty soon.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't feel bad! Sometimes the temptation gets you. I picked up this cva firebolt ultramag in 45cal the other week. No clue what I will do with it but for the time, it was a cool pick up.
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bigblock455
Don't feel bad! Sometimes the temptation gets you. I picked up this cva firebolt ultramag in 45cal the other week. No clue what I will do with it but for the time, it was a cool pick up.

Good - I'm not the only one that bought one of these on a whim...what are we going do with them?

Clean rifle, bunch of shooting accessories, and a good scope on top for a decent price.

Last edited by AH64guy; 02/20/19.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It's all in fun!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I gave my Ultra Light to my son after he killed four deer with it this past season. Seemed to be luckier for him than me, and we only get a week of ML here. They're fine rifles and a joy to carry, just a bit more trouble to clean than some others. Get youself some drill bits of the proper size to keep the channels of your breechplug clean (I think it takes three, total) and some little pin vises to hold them. Barnes 290gr T-Ez bullets and 300gr .45 XTPs in Crush Rib Sabots are killer-dillers over 80-100gr of BH 209 without beating you up too bad. More will also work, no doubt, but the 80gr load with the XTP crushed a 200+ pound 12-point for my other son, and kept on going, so the only reason to go higher is for a flatter trajectory, or maybe bigger critters. I consider inlines as 100yard guns, give or take a bit, even the ones that can stretch that. One of my son's deer was taken at about 120, IIRC, with the T-Ez over 100gr, but that hunting spot has all been ranged out pretty well, so he wasn't guessing.

I only paid $700 for mine, the first year of production, BTW. Don't think my frugal nature would let me go the current rate, but they are very nice.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 70 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,210
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.